Is the Brachypelma Smithi Handable????

tarachno

Arachnopeon
Hey, I have owned a Pink toe (Avicularia Avicularia), for 3 months now and I want to get another T!!!! I have my heart set on a Mexican Red knee (Brachypelma Smithi), but i really want a T that i can handle :? . My pink toe is really jumpy. So.... can u guys give me some feed back on if the Mexican Red knee is handable?

* Thanks for the help!!!!!!! *
- Travis

Last edited:

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
My female is really sweet and not too much a hair kicker, where my male kicks and kicks. Unfortunately, I can't handle him for that reason. But I am most sensitive the B.smithi's urticating hairs and the itchiness... He will have me itchy enough for a shower afterward. Alice on the other hand, might give a little kick getting her out, once removed from her enclosure, she a real doll.
So, your having a handleable B.smithi will be how you react to their urticating hairs and how often they flick them off

tarachno

Arachnopeon
how old did you get them?

How old did you get the docile one and the kicker ? im thinking about getting it at 1-2 inches.... would it kick if i was to handle it as a baby so it trusts me?

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
Smithi are generally handleable. Like she said though, be prepared for the hair. You'd be surprised the kinda of T's than may be handleable. I;ve seen some scary stuff! A nice chaco golden knee is great for handling . Just be prepared that while a certain genus or species has a great rep, some individuals in there may have not gotten the memo !!!
T

tarachno

Arachnopeon
oh...

hmmm...do you recomend the B.smithi if i most certinly wish to have a tarantula that is handable?

Or do i go with a chaco... which i was consitering, but the red knee is soooo beautiful lol!

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
to me the smithi is more beautiful, and maybe with some time it wont kick much, For me the hairs are a killer. the chaco is much less likely to kick hair
T

blckwidow75

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I handle my B. Smithi. She is a hair kicker but that doesn't bother me - just makes me itchy is all. Can I recommend a B. Emilia??? Mine is VERY gentle and sweet and IMO, much prettier. :)

tarachno

Arachnopeon
hmm

well im in love with the B. smithi , so can i get a survey from you B. smithi owners??? Heres the Q...

Is your B.smithi handable?

- travis

tarachno

Arachnopeon
so...

monantony said:
to me the smithi is more beautiful, and maybe with some time it wont kick much, For me the hairs are a killer. the chaco is much less likely to kick hair
T
im gonna get mine as a 1 incher, does that mean if handeled it will be a handable adult?

-travis

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
my female smithi is a hair kicker and my male is a runner.

just get the smithi and then if it turns out its not handable, get yourself a 3rd T.

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
B. Smithis are mostly a docile species..... You will have just a about a good chance of handling a B. smithi as you would most other docile tarantulas.

tarachno

Arachnopeon

i can only get 2 more tarantulas right now and its down to the Lasiodora parahybana (i know what im in for), B. smithi, or G. aureostriata.

i still want some feed back on the B. smithii handability

- travis

Ker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The smithi is gorgeous, cant miss that bright red, but the aureostriata is just as gorgeous in its own right. Every T is different.. general consensus says that both are fairly docile, with the smithi being a bit of a kicker, but in the end, that final decision is yours to make.

Of course, I personally prefer the g. over the smithi.. but we all know that I am owned by a g.... not the other way around.

tarachno

Arachnopeon
what a hard decision!

B. Smithi : looks better to me, but i would be disappionted if i couldnt hold it

G. aureostriata : looks nice but not as cool as B. Smithi (opinion ;) ) deffinitly handable

correct me if im wrong

Ker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There you have it.. nobody can tell you what looks better to you.. we can only tell you per indivual which might be the more handleable- and we did that.. mission accomplished.. happy tarantula shopping !!

tarachno

Arachnopeon
thanks

thanks every one !!!!!!!!!!

im still not sure but your all the best bye!!!!

- travis

RazorRipley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
tarachno said:
Hey, I have owned a Pink toe (Avicularia Avicularia), for 3 months now and I want to get another T!!!! I have my heart set on a Mexican Red knee (Brachypelma Smithi), but i really want a T that i can handle :? . My pink toe is really jumpy. So.... can u guys give me some feed back on if the Mexican Red knee is handable?

* Thanks for the help!!!!!!! *
- Travis
get yourself a pink zebra beauty, they are never aggressive, and you can handle it all day... as for a smithi? theyre not known to be biters, but they throw hair all day, and prefer to have their abdomen showing signs of baldness. for the question of "are they handleable?" only you can decide that, a lot of my friends dont handle any of them, and that is wise. Ive dropped and killed one of mine. so I should have taken their advice.... Then again, I believe most things are "handleable", even the cobalt blue, which Ive been repeatedly warned against.

SpiderJoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Handling a Tarantula

Hi,

At first I would suggest not to handle your spider. :) It really isn't waiting to be taken out and added virbrations in it's surroundings do confuse it. A tarantula isn't really a pet in the meaning of petting the spider...the spider react instinctively, every vibration it picks up is analysed. A small vibration is prey, a big one is a predator...to the tarantula we are predators, the only way to handle a spider is only when it is necessary. If you leave it alone it will not loose so much hair and it will be less stressfull, handling a T can make it jumpy and agitated. For what I know, the B.Smithii is handable, but always be careful, every spider can bite when triggered. Just do not provide the trigger. My G. Rosea is very handable but I do not take her out of her tank that much, only when I need to clean the tank she can walk around a bit on my bed, but even then I do not touch her that much. And it works fine this way, she has never been hairless, because she isn't stressed... :)

Greetz,

Joey

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I handle my adult female smithi occasionally. She is, and almost always has been, very docile and calm.

I've seen nothing to suggest that Tarantulas become acclimatised to handling over time. It's more likely that the owner becomes better at understanding and predicting the tarantula's behaviour.

All my tarantulas, even the reliable old B.smithi, have bad days every now and then. Luckily with a B.smithi you'll get plenty of warning signals before a bite. Rearing up, showing fangs and kicking hairs are all there to give you a chance to back down.

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
gawd I hate generalizations..."NEVER agressive, throw their hair ALL day"

Try usually not aggresive, prone to Kick hairs.

Also they do not always percieve us as 'predators' ,once is tarantula is upon you (especially using the palm scooping method) it 'percieves' you as just another thing to walk on.

one important aspect of handling , is that both of you get used to the concept which can be important when you NEED to handle or pin your spider in a medical emergency
Tony