SHIPPING 1st instar slings???

Casey K

Arachnoknight
Has anyone ever done this? Does anyone have any opinions or suggestions about it?

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Selling/shipping 1st instars is generally frowned upon (and I think might be against the rules around here? need to fact check myself--I might be thinking of EWLs).

Edit: If it is against the rules, I can't find the rule. Dunno. Still, I think you should wait rather than considering shipping out 1st instars.

Last edited:

awiec

Arachnoprince
Shipping out 1st instars is pretty irresponsible and the extra wait for them to get to 2nd instar does not justify risking their safety. Besides you can have die off at 1st to 2nd instar molts so you might as well wait to sell your best specimens.

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Personally I wouldn't ship 1st instars. They don't stay 1st instars for that long 2 to 3 weeks. Also I would make sure they are first instars not second instar some have been confused on the instars before. This just my opinion because I don't trust shipping companies besides i beleive they have a better survival rate at second instar.

KcFerry

Arachnosquire
If you're shipping individual tarantulas, I'd get them to 2nd or 3rd instar to be sure you send healthy slings.
If you're shipping 1st instar in bulk to someone who understands that there may be some mortality, just put them snugly in a deli cup lined with moist paper-towels and a cold pack if it's hot!
I've found that both slings and adult T's handle cold much better than heat.
If you can get them to 2nd instar you can still ship bunches of them together without issue.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've shipped many of first instars and no issues (0 deaths). I usually ship first instars to friends, but I wouldn't sell a whole sac of first instars though. You can't guarantee the slings making it to second instar successfully.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I've shipped many of first instars and no issues (0 deaths). I usually ship first instars to friends, but I wouldn't sell a whole sac of first instars though. You can't guarantee the slings making it to second instar successfully.
This is where shipping them is fine, the people you are shipping to are aware of it. It's when people decide to sell 1st instars is where I get a little concerned as when I'm sold a spider I expect it to be 2nd instar and above as they are more durable then.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Seems to be a bit more accepted over sea's and have had my share of stuff come over as first instar. This is mostly to make imports in time, but there's no reason not to hold onto stuff until second instar if its being shipped with in the states.

Later, Tom

louise f

Arachnoangel
I always wait till they are 3rd instar, and have eaten before shipping.
It makes me more secure of the shipping are venting well, for the little ones.

widowkeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:o_O: seems a lot has changed over the past couple years

shipping 1st instars is nothing no different the shipping 2nd or 3rd. in the last 2 weeks i have bought 150+ 1st instars,
in the past i had bought 100s of ewls and even a couple full sacks 2 that were only days old and one full of ewls.
the biggest danger in shipping any t is the shipper, improper packing and preping can kill any t of any size before it even leaves the post office

imho it is far more dangerous to ship a well fed juv to adult. sometimes no matter how well the shipper does the improper care of the package ends in ruptured Ts

why we don't have a locked thread on how to pack and ship is well stupid this thread proves its really needed

casey should never had to ask that question and surely not here on this msg board

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
:o_O: seems a lot has changed over the past couple years

shipping 1st instars is nothing no different the shipping 2nd or 3rd. in the last 2 weeks i have bought 150+ 1st instars,
in the past i had bought 100s of ewls and even a couple full sacks 2 that were only days old and one full of ewls.
the biggest danger in shipping any t is the shipper, improper packing and preping can kill any t of any size before it even leaves the post office

imho it is far more dangerous to ship a well fed juv to adult. sometimes no matter how well the shipper does the improper care of the package ends in ruptured Ts

why we don't have a locked thread on how to pack and ship is well stupid this thread proves its really needed

casey should never had to ask that question and surely not here on this msg board
While I don't have a problem with it under certain circumstances, I don't agree with most of this. The hobby standard is that spiders are sold and shipped at 2nd instar. They are far more in danger of not molting normally from 1rst instar to 2nd instar, then the following molts. They are much more delicate of temps at that stage in my opinion. You have eggs with legs shipped to you ? That's nuts.

Last edited:

widowkeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
While I don't have a problem with it under certain circumstances, I don't agree with most of this. The hobby standard is that spiders are sold and shipped at 2nd instar. They are far more in danger of not molting normally from 1rst instar to 2nd instar, then the following molts. They are much more delicate of temps at that stage in my opinion. You have eggs with legs shipped to you ? That's nuts.
if that is your hobby standard I wont argue, everyone has their own as for me ill keep buying them just means I get first pick :p