OBT humidity

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Hello there.
Last night, while bulldozing her substrate (i suspect a pre molt is near) my Pterinochilus murinus overturned the water dish.
Now, i keep her bone dry (literally) only with a water dish i don't even overfill. Fact is that she is housed in 10 cm of coco fiber substrate which takes forever to dry.
I hope to have not to rehouse her, not because she is fast and defensive, but because i don't wanna to stress her (last rehouse was only two months ago).
What do you think? What will you do, being me? Rehouse or not?
The T is not climbing at all. And the substrate is only moist in the bottom but not in the surface, still dry.
Also, the water dish (a 4,5 cm glass bowl) was not completely full. I would say that the 85 - 90% of the substrate is still dry.
I know that OBT'S are bulletproof T's, but i also know they love dry.
Do i have to wait that the substrate dry or rehouse her? My opinion is to wait and let dry the substrate but you guys know best.

Thanks

DVMT

Arachnosquire
How big is your OBT? Pic of the enclosure? Is it well ventilated? Is it humid where you live?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
How big is your OBT? Pic of the enclosure? Is it well ventilated? Is it humid where you live?
Sorry, i can't make pics at the moment. She is a semi adult female, the cage is a full cross ventilation one. Where i live humidity is moderate now (raise in summer)

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Just leave it as it is. It will eventually dry out and OBTs are really hardy and adoptable to differences in humidity, temperature etc.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
I would just avoid the water dish refill for a few days and see how it goes with drying out. Probably no need to rehome her. Maybe a smaller water dish, like a bottle cap for a while, too.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
My OBT spilled water dish often -- I never rehoused over it -- it dried out in a few days anyway. If it's a continual problem and an area is actually remaining truly wet all the time, I would move the water dish to another location, and possibly exchange the wet substrate with some dry. For a one-time spill -- I would do nothing.

cold blood

Staff member
I've never heard of a re-house due to a spilled water dish in my life. If that behavior called for re-housing, many of us would never get out of the t room, much less the house.

Yeah, they like it dry, but getting a little moisture isn't gonna hurt them one bit. You have zip, zero, nothing to be concerned about in any way.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I've never heard of a re-house due to a spilled water dish in my life. If that behavior called for re-housing, many of us would never get out of the t room, much less the house.

Yeah, they like it dry, but getting a little moisture isn't gonna hurt them one bit. You have zip, zero, nothing to be concerned about in any way.
Ah ah ah, you made me laugh, great comment. Of course you are right. Just that i'm one of those affected by that "super worry mode turned on disease" when it comes to T's.
I think that my OBT doesn't even noticed that. And it's a bit more dry today. I expect that within 4 or 5 days that part of substrate will be dry again.