My first scorpion

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
I received my first scorpion yesterday. H. spinifer scorpling. It took a dubia nymph this morning, very exciting to watch. I'm very tempted to purchase a larger one from a chain pet store nearby but I don't like the idea of buying wild caught. Any input on buying WC scorpions?

P1030059.jpg

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Heterometrus species could be restricted from export in the future if the demand for big black, cheap scorpions stays as high as it did for Pandinus spp. Might as well grab one while you can and, in the best case, plan on breeding it. Avoid lethargic, deathly skinny ones. You want the ones that will flip around and confront anything that gets near them.

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
Heterometrus species could be restricted from export in the future if the demand for big black, cheap scorpions stays as high as it did for Pandinus spp. Might as well grab one while you can and, in the best case, plan on breeding it. Avoid lethargic, deathly skinny ones. You want the ones that will flip around and confront anything that gets near them.
Thanks. The one in the pet store kind of just sat there when they lifted the hide to show it to me. It was fat looking but very docile.

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks. The one in the pet store kind of just sat there when they lifted the hide to show it to me. It was fat looking but very docile.
Fat looking is good. Docile can happen, but most of my Heterometrus have at least been more alert than Emperors. Not to the point of stinging, but they'd pinch you or put on a big defensive show.