Say hello to the dementor wasp

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I start reading... amazing wasp! Then I read on down that page and put mental images to the rampant uncontrolled destruction and exploitation of the Mekhong valley I have seen first hand. No end in sight, corruption from the poachers in the forest to the highest government officials. New species of animals are being discovered almost every day in that area and one of the reasons is the annihilation of the environment. A scorched earth scenario that would have given Hitler and the third Reich wet dreams and the clamor for more energy, more dams, more logging and resource exploitation deafening.

Hello wonderful new species, and goodbye.

(Hey Shrike. Thanks for the post. Much appreciated. Sorry for being a wet blanket here. I'm just damned frustrated. So many people appreciate these wonders but protecting and preserving them ... sigh. They will be putting in a dam on the Mekhong shortly and the habitat of this wasp and friends will be forever severely altered or completely destroyed. Only a couple hundred miles away the even more pristine and virtually unexplored Salween valley is facing a similar fate. And that will be the end of the major wild rivers and their habitat of SE Asia.)

'Don't it always seem to go but you don't know what you got till it's gone. They paved paradise and put in a parking lot' -Joni Mitchell

Last edited:

DETHCHEEZ

Arachnosquire
I start reading... amazing wasp! Then I read on down that page and put mental images to the rampant uncontrolled destruction and exploitation of the Mekhong valley I have seen first hand. No end in sight, corruption from the poachers in the forest to the highest government officials. New species of animals are being discovered almost every day in that area and one of the reasons is the annihilation of the environment. A scorched earth scenario that would have given Hitler and the third Reich wet dreams and the clamor for more energy, more dams, more logging and resource exploitation deafening.

(Hey Shrike. Thanks for the post. Much appreciated. Sorry for being a wet blanket here. I'm just damned frustrated. So many people appreciate these wonders but protecting and preserving them ... sigh. They will be putting in a dam on the Mekhong shortly and the habitat of this wasp and friends will be forever severely altered or completely destroyed. Only a couple hundred miles away the even more pristine and virtually unexplored Salween valley is facing a similar fate. And that will be the end of the major wild rivers and their habitat of SE Asia.)

'Don't it always seem to go but you don't know what you got till it's gone. They paved paradise and put in a parking lot' -Joni Mitchell
There's an article about that called "Harnessing The Mekong Or Killing It" in the May 20015 issue of National Geographic

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
There's an article about that called "Harnessing The Mekong Or Killing It" in the May 20015 issue of National Geographic
(Not meaning to derail the thread but)
Last year after the Chinese did some fiddling upriver I walked across the Mekhong. On the riverbed, I never even got my shoes wet, just muddy.
Compare to the Mississippi river. Mekhong, 2700 miles long, Miss, 2300 miles. Mekhong, 513,000 cubic feet per second, Mi, 600,000 cubic feet per second.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

No worries Snark. I think the ongoing global loss of biodiversity is a tragedy that won't be fully appreciated until it's far too late to do anything about it.