Look at this

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
You have no idea how common that is unfortunately. Both the crazy housing and the people going out and buying OBTs, having no earthly idea what they've got (although I don't know how much worse that is than the ones who do know and thumb their noses at experienced keepers because "they researched so they know what they're doing"). You'll also notice it was added in 2011, so there's really no point in getting in a huff about it. And even if it were recent, other than trying to explain the issues to the keeper, there's nothing we can do. Tarantulas aren't covered in animal protection laws and AB doesn't police how people keep their Ts.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Embarrassingly stupid. Those people should not own tarantulas.
Most people don't know what they're getting into. I've seen lots of old world tarantulas getting sold at pet stores to people who probably know nothing about them. Once they get home I'm assuming they look up the "care-sheets" online. IMO it's more of incorrect information than the people just being stupid (in general).

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Ok just so I know what the problems here are, and to verify my own knowledge of a good obt set up:

Heat pad not necessary
Placement of temp and humidity gauges wrong
Temp and humidity gauges not necessary
Sub not deep enough
No really suitable hide
No access to fresh water (no water bowl)
Not enough anchor points
No vertical anchor points
Potentially hazardous decor

Did I miss anything?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ok just so I know what the problems here are, and to verify my own knowledge of a good obt set up:

Heat pad not necessary
Sub not deep enough
No really suitable hide
Not enough anchor points

Did I miss anything?
Correct. You miss:
- Enclosure way damn big
- Substrate too moist for a Pterinochilus murinus

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Screen top + OBT = desaster waiting to happen
Ah ah ah true. But the best is his/her T comment under the photo. Sounds like a Troll comment, if not for the pic who prove the (bad) truth.
Oh btw, hello there. I've talked to you months ago on your Chilobrachys fimbriatus re-house video. I am that user who got for free that T housed in an arboreal enclosure, remember?

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ah ah ah true. But the best is his/her T comment under the photo. Sounds like a Troll comment, if not for the pic who prove the (bad) truth.
Oh btw, hello there. I've talked to you months ago on your Chilobrachys fimbriatus re-house video. I am that user who got for free that T housed in an arboreal enclosure, remember?
Yeah, I remember. Welcome to AB :)

why is this bad? not in support of the way this spider is being kept, but just being a curious noob haha
Most of these screen tops are either just layed on top of the enclosure with no whatsoever mechanism keeping them in place for one thing, meaning a determined spider can either nom its way through or lift it and escape. The latter I guess an OBT wouldn't be able to, but stranger things have happened. With a potent species like that, at least I wouldn't risk anything. Then again, I don't keep nor plan to keep them.
Not to mention that a T can get stuck wtih its claws in the mesh.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Some ts will try to chew their way out too which could end in an escape or a T stuck upside down by its choppers.

--J.Haas

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon

Heat pad not necessary
Sub not deep enough
No really suitable hide
Not enough anchor points

Did I miss anything?
And:
-OBT as first T (although some people won't see this as a mistake)
-He sounds surprised that it's aggressive, which suggests to me a lack of research

cold blood

Staff member
With taste like that, I can only imagine how that person dresses themselves in the morning.

Haha, I bet we could pick him out of a lineup.

This looks like someone set up the enclosure and added OBT just to exemplify the mistakes....there's so many that it looks intentionally set up bad. I just can't get over how dumb the entire set-up is....baffling....no big shocker that the poster isn't around and really never was.

Prime example of someone that probably just shouldn't own a t IMO.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
why is this bad? not in support of the way this spider is being kept, but just being a curious noob haha
At best, the T will get it's feet stuck in the screen and possibly lose a leg. At worst, the T will simply chew through the screen and escape. I can't tell if it's one of those durable metal screens or not, but it certainly looks like typical window screens, the latter of which would be easy to chew through.

Also, I literally laughed at the heat gauge. Not only is it completely unnecessary, but it's stuck to the heat pad! That's not just bad husbandry, that's a complete lack of common sense.