chilobrachys fimbriatus egg sac... kinda

dweben

Arachnopeon
Hi all, I have a chilobrachys fimbriatu who seems all happy, burrowing away no issues at all, and I noticed today she's constructed what looks like an egg sac, slightly smaller than a ping pong ball and is happily rolling it around her tunnels and what have you. Thing is, she's never been near another spider -- never had this behaviour before from any other Ts, do they get confused/stressed and thing they're having sprogs? :p

On a slightly sadder note think my hysterocrates gigas seems to have DST! Guessing that's it for that one :(

dweben

Arachnopeon
Huh ok, and is that just a ball of silk 'cos they've gone a bit mad?

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
No, if it is a dud-sac (if she hasn't ever been bred it would be) it'll contain eggs, but they'll never develop. Either she'll eat the sac at some point, or she'll toss it away and you can remove it and throw it in the trash.

Last edited:

awiec

Arachnoprince
All females have eggs in them and eventually have to get rid of them, whether they are fertilized or not, they still have to go; think of it as spider menstruation

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All females have eggs in them and eventually have to get rid of them, whether they are fertilized or not, they still have to go; think of it as spider menstruation
Really? I've raised slings to adult females without any phantom sacs.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Really? I've raised slings to adult females without any phantom sacs.
It's how an arachnologist put it when she was teaching a class I took, granted the focus was on true spiders so maybe tarantulas deviate a bit.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's why I breed my girls later in their molts, because they'll drop sacs so much sooner! I've had females drop sacs a week or two after mating.

I've never had any phantom sacs either. Makes sense, because females don't know when they'll find a male.