My New T Room: Questions

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Hello all,

I recently moved my collection to a new T room, my walk-in closet, which I have modified to fit my needs. Of course I have removed all clothes etc. I have also insulated the door so that I can maintain an isolated/ controlled climate in this room and sealed all cracks. Though this may sound a bit unorthodox, I am using a bulb to heat the room. Not to worry, it is away from my enclosures. This seems to be working perfectly as the room is currently being kept at around 80 degrees during the day. At night I turn this light off and allow the room to drop to the mid and occasionally the low 70's. I am planning on hanging this bulb (75 watts) several inches from the ceiling of my closet. During the winter I am planning on purchasing and installing a secondary "red" heat bulb (60 watts) which I will hang in a similar fashion for use at night. I just purchased a timer and I am planning to put my T's on a 12 hours light 12 hours dark cycle. My closet has no windows, my question is, will the use of an artificial light/ dark cycle negatively effect the health of my T's. Any comments pertaining to the design of my new T room are also welcome. I know it sounds like somewhat of a sketchy setup but believe me when I say that it is not nearly as sketchy as it may sound by my description.

Hellemose

Arachnopeon
a day/night cycle shouldnt have any negative effect, if any effect it would be positive since they also have a natural day/night cycle in nature and are wired to live as such, usually the light from a window is enough, but since there are no windows in your T room it there should be added light to mimic day/night, regarding a red heat bulb for the colder months its basically depending on what temperature you can maintain, it is a viable solution, maybe hook it up to a thermostat with a nighttime function, 80 during the day and 70-75 at night, personally i think i would use a ceramic heater instead it emits more heat and usually lasts longer, but id use it with a thermostat, i always use a thermostat for any heat source for my animals wether it be inverts or reptiles.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
My "T room" is basically my office, which has blackout curtains on the windows. The only light my T's ever get, ever, is artificial. I've had this setup for three years now, no negative side effects.

However, I worry about stagnant air. I assume your closet has no ceiling fan, and you made no mention about having a floor fan. If you have humid species, you're just asking for mold. Not to mention, many species require ventilation, even ignoring the issue of mold. Regardless of your collection, I would suggest a small desk fan (or larger, depending on the room size) to be set up somewhere just to keep the air moving.

cold blood

Staff member
My "T room" is basically my office, which has blackout curtains on the windows. The only light my T's ever get, ever, is artificial. I've had this setup for three years now, no negative side effects.

However, I worry about stagnant air. I assume your closet has no ceiling fan, and you made no mention about having a floor fan. If you have humid species, you're just asking for mold. Not to mention, many species require ventilation, even ignoring the issue of mold. Regardless of your collection, I would suggest a small desk fan (or larger, depending on the room size) to be set up somewhere just to keep the air moving.
+1

My t's also get no natural light, and they still thrive....t's have no light requirements. A fan in the room is a good idea. I'm looking for fans now as BOTH of my box fans quit on me within 24 hours of one another this week.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
My T room is our master bedroom where I keep a box fan going 24/7. Very little sunlight comes in through the window and none of it hits my T's directly.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Mine do get some natural sunlight but not directly - they are blocked from direct light on their shelves plus I have an 'extension' to their shelves which blocks not only sunlight but the very low watt night light the parrots require..

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
my question is, will the use of an artificial light/ dark cycle negatively effect the health of my T's. Any .
They are better off with an man-made day/light cycle than none at all. In fact, many animals that are naturally nocturnal have their day/light cycles reversed so they are active during OUR day for the purposes of research studies with no ill effects.