I don't think they're mites.

herpist

Arachnosquire
Hi all. I got a pair of Archispirostreptus gigas and a pair of Aphistogoniulus corralipes from the BTS expo the other week but noticed the other night white things crawling in the substrate. I don't think they're mites as the are quite big 3 to 4 millimetres and the kind of look like wood lice but are completely white. None of them are actually on the millipedes. Are they wood lice!! if not does anyone know what they are And should I be removing them. This is the best pic I could get. image.jpg

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The species is likely Trichorhina tomentosa...you can google that to confirm.

herpist

Arachnosquire
The species is likely Trichorhina tomentosa...you can google that to confirm.
Well looking at the pics on google they do look like species you mention. I should get a colony going for my Tarantula enclosures...... Less cleaning for me

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well looking at the pics on google they do look like species you mention. I should get a colony going for my Tarantula enclosures...... Less cleaning for me [emoji4]
Excellent idea. I culture that and a half dozen other species of isopods as cleanup crews/food for various species. They do a great job.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I would suggest starting over with clean substrate. Those are not desirable in a millipede cage as they eat the same foods and will eventually out-compete them.

herpist

Arachnosquire
Yes I will culture them in a different tub. Thanks Elytra, I didn't think of that.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would suggest starting over with clean substrate. Those are not desirable in a millipede cage as they eat the same foods and will eventually out-compete them.
Great point. They will be great in humid tarantula enclosures. Not so great with millipedes. I keep flamelegs, but I take pains to keep isopods out of their enclosure. Trichorhina tomentosa is one of those isopods that tends to pop up unexpectedly (my original culture was founded from individuals that showed up in starter cultures of giant orange isopods and springtails.) they reproduce through parthenogenesis, so it only takes one to found a population.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
A while back when keeping Atopetholus i made the mistake of introducing p laevis woodlice and they became a pest thanks to their habit of becoming parthenogenic..

Most isopods in general host some kind of wolbachia species, which induces parthenogenesis, which is great if you have other species, but they can rapidly deplete the substrate of food.