more weirdness

mmfh

Arachnobaron
Nice picture. Never seen baby centipedes so up close before

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The Common Cuckoo millipede may be native to my area but I'm not sure, just have to wait and see what they turn into.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They look like lemon gummies to me!

So crossbreeding centipede subspecies isn't frowned upon? What was the goal of your breeding experiment? Do people ever try selectively breeding for different colors and markings? (I don't know that much about the specifics of the centipede hobby, whoops)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Some frown, some don’t, questions are a good thing. At the time I started there was and still is in some lab studies over it(going by emails I've gotten), over the different color heros and "species", been going on for many years while I think most scientists finally accept them as the same sps today. There are still the different sci names floating around out there. I haven’t seen formal updates yet, is it out there? Please point me to recent formal documentation if you’ve come across it, very slow in the pede arena when it comes to formal stuff like this imo. But they have been bred together in the hobby with second generations occurring, should be relevant data imo. I also think that color mixing, if some are going to do that should prob try keep them home but I also think it’s not a big deal in nature over time if some got loose because survival of the fittest will bring the appropriate color back in nature. I've seen almost the full range of colors between offspring. Had to do some editing, I think somebody put a beer in my beer.

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Finally getting around to more pics here.

This is interesting to me. No Arizona color variety(typically with three dark tail segments) was involved but this one has a third that shows some darkening. To me it is evidence that the genetics for color variety is more easily expressed in the heros sps. It's kind of strange.

Last edited:

FireSpider

Arachnopeon
Your pedes are absolutely gorgeous. I love the color combinations. Too bad their demonic personalities and Houdini-like escape skills make them so hard to keep. Otherwise I'd want one.

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
This is very interesting indeed! I love the look of the larger arizoensis looking one.

Your pedes are absolutely gorgeous. I love the color combinations. Too bad their demonic personalities and Houdini-like escape skills make them so hard to keep. Otherwise I'd want one.
Fortunate for everyone that this is overcome by simple measurements of the enclosure and their inability to climb smooth surfaces :sarcasm:

Last edited:

dactylus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very interesting looking pedelings! How many babies were in that brood?

David

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That big black one is the mom. Hey David, I counted over 40, prob around 43 but there was a cave-in, I saw a few that didn't make it earlier too so there were prob around 50 originally.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Been through a few molts, here are a couple from this same brood that look really different compared to each other.

kurgara galatur

Arachnopeon
Amazing. This is similar to the "lab hybrid" S. heros heros (banded) x S. heros castaneiceps in McMonigle's _Centipedes in Captivity_ (p. 29). Was that part of the inspiration?