Any Ideas for an Invertebrate Cabinet?

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
I keep all of my inverts inside of a closet, but as my collection grows, I need a way to house all of my animals in a better way. I'm thinking of building (or buying) a sort of "invertebrate cabinet" that I could house all of my inverts in. I'm thinking that the "drawers" of this cabinet would be glass terrariums that could slide out for easy maintenance. I would need away to easily heat the tropical terrariums so I will need a way of either connecting heat pads or heat lamps to those terrariums. I would also like a way to light the terrariums so that I can see my inverts. The terrariums wouldn't need to be very big, only five gallons at most. If anyone has done something like this before or knows someone who has, I would like to exchange ideas with them. If you have any suggestions or blueprints for be, you can post those too. Thanks for your help!

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
Regarding your need for cheap containers that are more heat-resistant than KK, you could use standard deli cups, and heat the cabinet you speak of in this thread. Each drawer could have heat-tape or a mat at the back. The enclosures at the back of the drawer will be warmer, and you could adjust by physically moving each one.

The drawers could even be labeled according to temperature, and the uppers ones would naturally be warmer than the ones below.

For this, have you checked iKea? My cabinet comes from Canadian Tire, but I'm not sure if there's an American Tire with similar stock.

Tried looking for a link, but it seems they don't carry it anymore. I found a review thread for mine, and it's not favourable, lol. My cabinet is 6ft tall x 4ft wide x 2ft deep, and looks plenty modifiable. It's super cheap wood though, so I wouldn't anchor much to it. I'm certain it would hold up with added heat, and with 2ft deep shelves inside, could be adapted for drawers.

Last edited:

courtneyannb

Arachnopeon
shelving

I recently made these shelves free out of upcycled pallets and attached touch lights under each shelf, there is a gap in the back of each shelf for cords. I'm sure it would be simple to add doors.

Attachments

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
Thank you, edgeofthefreak! You took out two threads with one reply so I have to say thank you! I like the heat tape idea, and I think it would
be easy to get a cabinet from ikea and modify it. When I have more time I'll see if that website ships to the U.S.

---------- Post added 06-07-2015 at 10:12 AM ----------

That's a nice setup, courtneyannb. I'll have to build something like that!

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
Thank you, edgeofthefreak! You took out two threads with one reply so I have to say thank you! I like the heat tape idea, and I think it would
be easy to get a cabinet from ikea and modify it. When I have more time I'll see if that website ships to the U.S.
Glad it was a good suggestion!
I have a cheap temperature gun, and it would be able to identify each drawer/shelf temperature without needing to move too much around. You'd be able to find hot spots, and get some ventilation if need be.

Whatever you decide, update this thread! I want to see what ends up working best!