Do all Avics make webs?

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This may sound like the dumbest question ever asked on here, but I am honestly wondering if all Avics construct some sort of webbing in their homes.

Granted, I've only had mine for 2 days now, and today I transferred him to a bigger home, however, he has not spun yet at all. When I purchased him there was no webbing in his inadequate enclosure the pet shop kept him in, the 2 days he was in my upright 1 gallon enclosure he did nothing...and now he's in his "permanent" home, so I guess it's too early to say whether he'll web now.

He is my first arboreal, therefore I will be full of "dumb" questions I'm sure - this being one of them.

Actually my next question is regarding his enclosure. I've read that Avics require "good" ventilation, so I've soldered 2 of the back panels of his enclosure with 3 rows (from top to bottom) of holes, plus a row of holes on the top portion, and a larger ventilation hole (1" X 3" covered with screen) on the top. Will this suffice?

His appetite is terrific. He's eaten 4 crickets so far, pooped up a storm ("splash")...and even nearly scared me off my chair when he "lunged" for a cricket ("thump").

I am having SO much fun with him, and learned today, when transferring him into his permanent home, just how gentle and graceful the Avicularias can be. I was gently trying to maneuver him out of his old jar into the new one, when he leaped backwards onto my son's hand. From there he ever so slowly paddled into his new home, not once raising his belly or his front legs. It was AWESOME.

Here is a picture of his "new", permanent home. Please feel free to point out anything you see wrong or things that could use improvement. The other one is a picture of him taken outside.

(No clue if "Blue" is a boy or a girl....but I'd rather refer to him as a boy, since so far all my other Ts that I referred to as "shes" turned out to be males :eek: ))

---
Wendy
---

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Socrates said:
This may sound like the dumbest question ever asked on here, but I am honestly wondering if all Avics construct some sort of webbing in their homes.

Actually my next question is regarding his enclosure. I've read that Avics require "good" ventilation, so I've soldered 2 of the back panels of his enclosure with 3 rows (from top to bottom) of holes, plus a row of holes on the top portion, and a larger ventilation hole (1" X 3" covered with screen) on the top. Will this suffice?
Yes all Avic's spin webs. All Tarantulas, when put into a new home, go through a waiting period of "is this really my new home or not" and once they decide it is, then they will commit resources to building a web, plowing dirt around, etc. It can take anywhere from 1 day to several months depending on species.

Avic's will generally pick a good spot on the wall, probably in a corner, and make a verticle tube web, or if the enclosure is small enough, it will consider the entire enclosure to be its home and web the entire thing.

The ventilation you have is fine

Makai

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
one of mines took 5 days but finally made it, just wait and one day you'll wake up to discover a wonderful web :)

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you so much Jesses and Makaii.

I'll be sure to leave him alone now, as I'm sure he's been through enough stress for the past couple of days.

---
Wendy
---

tarachno

Arachnopeon
yea

i have had mine for about a couple of months now and he/she hasnt made a web yet :8o.

is it required to have my tank verticle? (Its a 10 gallon) would it be fine if i had it sitting horrizontal?

- travis

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
tarachno said:
i have had mine for about a couple of months now and he/she hasnt made a web yet :8o.

is it required to have my tank verticle? (Its a 10 gallon) would it be fine if i had it sitting horrizontal?
Firstly a 10 gallon is WAY too big for a single Avic. It will probably have problems finding its food.

Second, I put my Avic's in verticle containers because they like to climb, so nothing bad will happen if they're in a horizontal, they just won't use most of their space.

tarachno

Arachnopeon
hmm

hmmmm well do you know where/how i can obtain one of these verticle tanks?
thanks alot!

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
tarachno said:
thanks alot!
Travis, I purchased mine today at Petco. (www.petco.com)
You can purchase them online for under $20.00 right now, shipping is free (special offer).

Many people on these boards have come up with much cheaper and better ways than my Avic's enclosure, if you're a little handy and have some imagination, the possibilities are endless.

---
Wendy
---

tarachno

Arachnopeon
Socrates said:
Travis, I purchased mine today at Petco. (www.petco.com)
You can purchase them online for under $20.00 right now, shipping is free (special offer).

Many people on these boards have come up with much cheaper and better ways than my Avic's enclosure, if you're a little handy and have some imagination, the possibilities are endless.

---
Wendy
---
thanks wendy

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wendy the set up looks great !! is that a 2 1/2 gallon hex fish tank ?? I have my fasciatum set up in one of those and it has webbed up the hole thing plants and all...it really looks kinda cool..hope yours settles in and starts webbing...

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mike H. said:
Wendy the set up looks great !! is that a 2 1/2 gallon hex fish tank ?? I have my fasciatum set up in one of those and it has webbed up the hole thing plants and all...it really looks kinda cool..hope yours settles in and starts webbing...:
Thanks Mike. It was labeled 2 gallon hex, just picked it up today along with a nice piece of wood, stuck a few pieces of silk leaves in the wood, and voila'.

He's beginning to explore right about now. :)

---
Wendy
---

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
tarachno said:
thanks alot!
Actually I just take a critter keeper and stand it on it's side

Ker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Some people enjoy creating enclosures that are visually stimulating to them, and are appealing to the t's as well. Most of my T's are in cricket keepers or in plastic containers, but my avic is also in a glass tank that I have displayed out in my living room. I enjoy it, she enjoys it.. all is good.

Wendy, it took Emily a week to start serious webbing, and now there is no stopping her. Soon enough, instead of wondering if the spider is going to web, you will be wondering if the web "ate" the spider.

RazorRipley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi Wendy

Yes, all of the Avicularia are known web makers, and most make in abundance. Of course there are acceptions to every rule, but I think you will find out just like everyone is telling you, They get out of control with it.

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
All Avic,s spin web when they are coming up to a molt, a freshly molted avic will spin little or no web. :)

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
jesses said:
Firstly a 10 gallon is WAY too big for a single Avic. It will probably have problems finding its food.
Please don't tell my A. avic! It has a wonderful time roaming about its on-end 10 gallon tank, and the crickets don't last long.

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
My 1st a.avic didn't spin his 1st noticeable web until 2 months later... and after his 1st molt in my keeping, he destroyed most of the visible webbings and wander around most of the times. When they do spin their hammocks, most likely it'll end up at a top corner... so if you don't wana destroy their web every time you open the cover, you might wana try a kritter keeper standing on one side, since the opening would then be at the middle.

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My first little A. avic., spins webs so dense and full, I could make a shirt out of it! And I have a little male that makes puny little efforts at it, more content to sit on his bark and wait for dad to throw him a cricket :) Nice enclosure, btw...I found a bunch of vertical doll display cases at a hobby store that were clearanced out and they make killer arboreal setups :cool:

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
WayneT said:
Nice enclosure, btw...I found a bunch of vertical doll display cases at a hobby store that were clearanced out and they make killer arboreal setups :cool:
Wayne, when searching for a nice enclosure, my first stop was "Michael's" and then "The Rag Shop", both hobby stores, because I remember that you had said that about the vertical doll display cases. Unfortunately neither one my stores had any at all. :( I was a bit disappointed about that. I sure hope that "Blue" won't web up the top, and I left a bit of space from where the wood and the lid meet.

Thanks for all the input btw. :)

---
Wendy
---

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Socrates said:
Wayne, when searching for a nice enclosure, my first stop was "Michael's" and then "The Rag Shop", both hobby stores, because I remember that you had said that about the vertical doll display cases. Unfortunately neither one my stores had any at all. :( I was a bit disappointed about that. I sure hope that "Blue" won't web up the top, and I left a bit of space from where the wood and the lid meet.

Thanks for all the input btw. :)

---
Wendy
---
No prob...if you want, I can check a couple more Hobby Lobby's in the area and pick one up for you...let me know :cool: