Liphistius sp.

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have always been fascinated by trapdoor spiders, I suppose I have a soft spot for pet holes (might explain why I keep more scorps than T's). Anyway I've never owned one.. yet, so it's about time I decided to finally try to get one. I have done some looking and found one I like, Liphistius sp. I found several care sheets for them, however they seem to be very rare in the hobby. I was hoping someone here knows some info that I haven't found yet, like how long do they live for and more important where can I get one? I was thinking of putting a wtb add, but I wanted to at least know how long they live before I commit to getting one.
Thanks

Ambly

Arachnobaron
males a few years, dying after maturity - females 15-30 years I believe I've read.

Most important is providing good substrate - a loamy clay mix - and try to mimic their natural environment. Fortunately, there is a good deal known about their environment and climate so looking that up to replicate it isn't so difficult. There's some good threads on keeping these here.

They're around here and there in the hobby, expensive as hell though.

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks everyone for the advice, just received this little guy today, and I'm looking to add more liphistus sp. in the future, possibly other trapdoor sp. like Acanthogonatus sp. or some other Nemesoidea sp.

Attachments

Ambly

Arachnobaron
L. ornatus? If that's not a temp tank, I'd consider putting it in what it's going to end up in - even if it's a 5 or 10 gallon. It'll fully expand it's burrows and you can enjoy the spider and what it does more.

Might seem like overkill, but the babies make some pretty long lines and move holes a bit through life (though not all)

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah a tiny L. Ornatus, this was a temp vial I was using to move it with, its in a bigger home now a 2.5 gallon tank that will be its permanent home.

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I remember like 8 years ago they were way more commonly available. :(
Yeah they seem to be very hard to find and very costly, I was only a to find this one through a friend l, Thanks again, I would love to get other liphistus sp. But I can't find any for sale.