My sand treaders are near hatching!

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What is a sand treader ? It's a neat looking pill with eyes lol . Looks like something from an anime .

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Sand treaders are members of the camel cricket family (Raphidophoridae, sub-family- ceuthophilinae) that live in deserts and other sandy habitats, most preferring dune systems. This particular egg is that of a Daihinibaenetes sp I collected from the North Algodones Wilderness in imperial county. Seems to be quite rare- of the many smaller macrobaenetes species present, this was the only daihinibaenetes I saw.

Rhachocnemis- one species, validus, found along the california coastline, present only in coastal dune habitats, a few other species are present in sandy areas of Kern county
Daihinibaenetes -quite widespread throughout the great basin, several species unknown. Mine is likely a brand new species.
Utabaenetes - BEAUTIFUL jet black giants from the San rafael area in utah
Ammobaenetes - some found in clark county, Nevada, dunes
Macrobaenetes- California endemics.. Mostly confined to a single dune system, algodonensis is found only in the north algodones wilderness and imperial sand dunes, kelsoensis is restricted to the kelso dunes, and valgum restricted to dunes between palm springs and indio, ca. These ones do poorly in captivity.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Aww cute! I didn't know you could see the eyes in eggs that are close to hatching! Can't wait to see the hatchlings!

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
What's their conservation status? They seem extremely specialized so they can't be under "least concern" right?

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Some are pretty sensitive, macrobaenetes are the most sensitive.

One species, daihinibaenetes giganteus, is classified as threatened, i believe.

... Though imo d giganteus is not a daihinibaenetes species.

Imo some of these are listed as threatened without much data.

There are actually only three daihinibaenetes species listed, and only two of em are valid imo.

My species has proven to be easily kept and lays over 100 eggs.. She's still laying eggs :p

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
L
Sand treaders are members of the camel cricket family (Raphidophoridae, sub-family- ceuthophilinae) that live in deserts and other sandy habitats, most preferring dune systems. This particular egg is that of a Daihinibaenetes sp I collected from the North Algodones Wilderness in imperial county. Seems to be quite rare- of the many smaller macrobaenetes species present, this was the only daihinibaenetes I saw.

Rhachocnemis- one species, validus, found along the california coastline, present only in coastal dune habitats, a few other species are present in sandy areas of Kern county
Daihinibaenetes -quite widespread throughout the great basin, several species unknown. Mine is likely a brand new species.
Utabaenetes - BEAUTIFUL jet black giants from the San rafael area in utah
Ammobaenetes - some found in clark county, Nevada, dunes
Macrobaenetes- California endemics.. Mostly confined to a single dune system, algodonensis is found only in the north algodones wilderness and imperial sand dunes, kelsoensis is restricted to the kelso dunes, and valgum restricted to dunes between palm springs and indio, ca. These ones do poorly in captivity.
Wow very cool ! Thank you for the info . Now I'm excited to see the hatchlings ! You should check out the Red Rock area out here in Vagas . I think you would have a great time lots of bugs Ts and helps . I'm always out there , right now there's a lot of Assin bugs out doing their thing . Scorpions come out just after dusk . It's amazing out there .

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
L
Wow very cool ! Thank you for the info . Now I'm excited to see the hatchlings ! You should check out the Red Rock area out here in Vagas . I think you would have a great time lots of bugs Ts and helps . I'm always out there , right now there's a lot of Assin bugs out doing their thing . Scorpions come out just after dusk . It's amazing out there .
I wish I could.. i do not have transportation, and as such, I'm limited to people providing transportation for me or taking the bus.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ah I understand . Well hopefully you will have a friend that wants to take that journey some day . Until then I will post some pics of the area and cool stuff I find when I have the chance .
Cheers

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
You have a talent with these unusual inverts, my friend! Glad to get to see these. How carnivorous are they, will they eat plant matter as well?

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
You have a talent with these unusual inverts, my friend! Glad to get to see these. How carnivorous are they, will they eat plant matter as well?
Yes, they're like jerusalem crickets in feeding habits. They will eat anything, but relish meat the most.

I'm fairly certain they feast on Macrobaenetes algodonensis, which are very soft and tender, smaller, and slow to react.

They're getting bigger now.. So far I lost around five of them, one got free during feeding and disappeared, and the other four were slain by their siblings during molting.

I have so many of them now that I just cant keep up with them, i gotta sell some asap haha

Last edited:

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
You are keeping them communally, and they are not all dead?!? My C.agassizii are always biting each others legs off, and they are not even carnivorous!

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They are so pretty and shinny ! Congrats ! It's funny I was just wondering if they had hatched just the other day . Thanks for sharing .

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
You are keeping them communally, and they are not all dead?!? My C.agassizii are always biting each others legs off, and they are not even carnivorous!
No that was an experiment to determine if I could keep them communally at least in small groupings but it resulted in only one large nymph :p

None of my C hesperus attacked each other, they were extremely gregarious, they would all share the same burrow and cluster together

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Ah ok, lol! My C.agassizii will share the same hides but roughly half of my individuals are missing one or both of their hind legs. I've been feeding them good, and they have plenty of water, I guess some species are more territorial than others.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Ah ok, lol! My C.agassizii will share the same hides but roughly half of my individuals are missing one or both of their hind legs. I've been feeding them good, and they have plenty of water, I guess some species are more territorial than others.
have you been giving them meat? Ive noted these need lots of protein compared to other orthoptera. I've seen ceuthophilus capture and kill small insects.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Their main diet is cat/dog food supplemented with fruits, so yes, they got lots of protein.