Awww man

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
:mad: My favorite tarantula, a 3.75" - 4" curly hair (Brachypelma albopilosum) just molted and it turns out its a dumb old boy!
So I can wait till he matures to do a breeding loan to get 50% of an unsellable sack, buy an adult female to breed him myself and get 100% of an unsellable sack, get rid of him and make room for something cooler, or just keep him and hang with him till he dies.

I'm too depressed to make a decision. lol. this guy is beautiful too.
Oh well I guess I will wait and see what my other curly hair - a 1/2" sling, grows up to be.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Just curious .... yours was a freebie sling too huh?

That's how I got mine. Does anyone actually BUY these? Or OBTs, for that matter. lol

Seriously, I don't breed at all, so I really do feel your pain. I am hoping for a female.... long ways to go to know what mine will be.

cold blood

Staff member
I just don't get the distain for males that some have. Without them, we have no hobby. I see a male as an opportunity. I get a female now I have to wait years, a decade in some cases before I can reap any benefits of breeding. In the time I wait for a single female to mature, I can raise and send off dozens and dozens of males, either selling them, trading them for new species or doing a breeding loan where I can now do basically nothing but raise the spider, and reap the benefits should its breeding become successful.

Yeah, I see the allure of a female, don't get me wrong, but there's enough positives to a male that I won't ever get upset with them.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Just curious .... yours was a freebie sling too huh?

That's how I got mine. Does anyone actually BUY these? Or OBTs, for that matter. lol

Seriously, I don't breed at all, so I really do feel your pain. I am hoping for a female.... long ways to go to know what mine will be.
I bought mine. Mind I didn't pay a lot but I did actively chose to bring them home (and as luck would have it, they've turned out to be a 1.1 pair). If I were that unhappy with a male, I'd trade him for some slings or sell him. People found uses for MM G.rosea/porteri before the Chilean export ban and people still actively breed OBTs--which are also a dime a dozen; surely a MM B.albo isn't the worst thing in the world.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Nothing against males!
I took OP as remarking more on what type of T -- a female would give you years of enjoyment in spite of it not being in much demand for breeding. A male of a very common T -- well, not much market.
Don't think any harm was intended.
I'd feel same way if it was a male OBT.
A couple of us agreed in the other thread that B albo was a 'pleasant surprise' freebie T we'd gotten. Love mine -- but I admit -- I hope it's female!

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I bought a B albopilosum about 2 months ago although it was a cheap addition to an order. As for yours turning male don't be disappointed the greatest tarantula I've ever had was my 1st a B albo that turned out male and anyway what's the worst that can happen nothing and you just keep him till he dies I certainly wouldn't care if mine turns out male again

Fyrwulf

Arachnosquire
Keep him. You've gone to the trouble of providing for him to this point.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
This is why you should get at least several slings each time of a species. How does it come as a surprise that slings are both sexes, and that by getting only one, there's a good chance you won't get the sex you want. All the more amazing when you consider how inexpensive albopilosum slings are. When you roll the dice on one sling of a species, you should be prepared for either outcome.

Sex ratios in tarantulas don't seem to be equal all that often, due to many factors (humans don't have an equal ratio either). In most of the species I've worked with over the years, males seem to be more prevalent, maybe 60% sometimes even 70%.

rockpython

Arachnopeon
I dont get the disdain either. You've enjoyed it until now, why hate on it now. I bought my albop too... People seem to think the common ones are "boring". I like them all, even the males. Sure, they die sooner than females, but thats just what it is.

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
I bought him at 2.5 inches unsexed,(which I understand usually means if the spiders that big and unsexed its because they expect male and don't want to advertise as such) along with two 1/4" slings and about a dozen other tarantulas in one order. Even though B.albopilosum is extremely common I REALLY like them and am trying to get a female as a pet. This is not a species I see a need to breed and I personally see males as breeders only. I do not like the look of their long spindly legs or their short life spans.
Now had this been a G. pulchra, one of the wifes P. metallicas, or any of the less common species I own, I would be excited to have a male to loan out.
I may still breed him just for the experience, I have never bred spiders before and could use the knowledge before I start breeding expensive stuff.

But that's it- I am disappointed that my lil buddy isn't gonna live to spend decades with me.

any one have an adult female B.albopilosum they wanna sell?

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I bought him at 2.5 inches unsexed,(which I understand usually means if the spiders that big and unsexed its because they expect male and don't want to advertise as such) along with two 1/4" slings and about a dozen other tarantulas in one order. Even though B.albopilosum is extremely common I REALLY like them and am trying to get a female as a pet. This is not a species I see a need to breed and I personally see males as breeders only. I do not like the look of their long spindly legs or their short life spans.
Now had this been a G. pulchra, one of the wifes P. metallicas, or any of the less common species I own, I would be excited to have a male to loan out.
I may still breed him just for the experience, I have never bred spiders before and could use the knowledge before I start breeding expensive stuff.

But that's it- I am disappointed that my lil buddy isn't gonna live to spend decades with me.

any one have an adult female B.albopilosum they wanna sell?
Try asking in the classifieds section.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
As others have said, I would just keep him. If it were a more uncommon species, it would be more responsible for you to send it out for breeding. However, breeding those would be like breeding rosies or OBT's - good luck getting rid of them. Enjoy the spider you have, there's nothing wrong with the male genes :)

cold blood

Staff member
This is not a species I see a need to breed and I personally see males as breeders only. I do not like the look of their long spindly legs or their short life spans.
Apparently you missed my point. Just because YOU do not see a need to breed them, doesn't mean there aren't 500 people out there that do and are looking for your male. You can just sell him and buy others, or trade him for slings of a different species. Just because YOU don't want to breed it, doesn't mean you can't still use the male to your advantage. Just don't do a breeding loan, the other options are still viable....he's only a waste if you do nothing and keep him till he dies...and that's entirely your choice to choose to not get anything for him.

Males are desirable to someone, I can guarantee that.

louise f

Arachnoangel
I would find a girl for him. :)

When some of my t' s turns out to be males i try to find a female for him, if that's not possible i sell or trade for something else, because somebody can always use the males like CB says ;)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
- I bought him at 2.5 inches unsexed,(which I understand usually means if the spiders that big and unsexed its because they expect male and don't want to advertise as such)

- But that's it- I am disappointed that my lil buddy isn't gonna live to spend decades with me.

- Options: You could have vent sexed him yourself at 2.5". You could have asked the seller to send a few vent pics and posted them here. You could have gotten a sexed juvenile female instead. There were ways to avoid your disappointment. None would have taken much time, effort, or money.

- While some people may sell off juvenile males of high-priced species, I doubt it happens much with the common species. People aren't breaking down doors to get female albo's and breed them so that they cash in on slings. Your theory on this is unlikely. No need for scapegoats; I don't think you were dealt a bad hand. Luck-of-the-draw: you only got one albo. This once again shows the fallacy of getting one unsexed juvenile and counting on it being a female. Maybe albo's are 60% male (who knows for sure), so you probably should have gotten 3 unsexed youngsters and you would have had your female. You could have sold/traded the surplus. Those could have paid for the one you kept.

- Decades? How long do you think females live? The desert/semi-arid species may live 25-30 years, but others from higher rainfall areas are less. If you really wanted to have a 15-20 year pet, all the more reason to get a sexed juvenile.

Last edited:

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
I think I might breed him. now if I can just raise the money for a female. lol
Which by the way last time I checked I could neither post a classified add or respond to them for some reason. I will have to check again.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
This is why you should get at least several slings each time of a species. How does it come as a surprise that slings are both sexes, and that by getting only one, there's a good chance you won't get the sex you want. All the more amazing when you consider how inexpensive albopilosum slings are. When you roll the dice on one sling of a species, you should be prepared for either outcome.

Sex ratios in tarantulas don't seem to be equal all that often, due to many factors (humans don't have an equal ratio either). In most of the species I've worked with over the years, males seem to be more prevalent, maybe 60% sometimes even 70%.
Didnt work for me , I got 10 P regalis MM, and 1 female. Generally multiples works for me though.
That's 90%. Guess cant complain, except My T number is a ton lower now. So many Males over last 2 yrs.

Why so many Males in captivity? Wonder if its same in wild.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Didnt work for me , I got 10 P regalis MM, and 1 female. Generally multiples works for me though.
That's 90%. Guess cant complain, except My T number is a ton lower now. So many Males over last 2 yrs.

Why so many Males in captivity? Wonder if its same in wild.
It's the same way with humans. Some families have a lot of girls, some are mostly, or all boys. You have to look at the big picture. Some people are getting more females than others, luck of the draw. A couple years ago I had gotten 7 P vittata slings, and they turned out to be 6.1. Last year I got another group of them, and they were 4.5. You have to look beyond the miniscule acquisitions we make. In the wild they're producing thousands of sacs a year.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
It's the same way with humans. Some families have a lot of girls, some are mostly, or all boys. You have to look at the big picture. Some people are getting more females than others, luck of the draw. A couple years ago I had gotten 7 P vittata slings, and they turned out to be 6.1. Last year I got another group of them, and they were 4.5. You have to look beyond the miniscule acquisitions we make. In the wild they're producing thousands of sacs a year.
Yeah High sling prices m,y T numbers down :( . Slings should be cheaper then currently prices are too high. Hard to find a job too in Ohio.

How to tarantulas fight giant pedes? Arent those like there biggest enemy? Bite the pede in the head?

Fyrwulf

Arachnosquire
How to tarantulas fight giant pedes? Arent those like there biggest enemy? Bite the pede in the head?
Depends on where you are. I've witnessed a couple species of wasps actively hunting spiders, one was an outright dive bomb attack.