Cyclosternum fasciatum.. infection or injury?

Mako16

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi guys,

A few weeks ago, I have bought some T's from a friend, and a few days back I've noticed some weird thing underside of my C.fasciatum, while she was climbing the glass.
The previous owner told me, that she has not ate for about 6 months or even more, otherwise she's pretty active, but this does not look good. What could it be? Do you think she'll survive the molt or is it
just the matter of time?

louise f

Arachnoangel
Poor girl. I am not sure what that is. But to me it looks like she got burnt. Or is it just me ? I hope she makes it.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Jeez, that looks terrible. I've never seen something like that before, but I agree with louise, it does look like a burn... although I can't conceive how a burn would come about, so I doubt that's it.

Mako16

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Poor girl. I am not sure what that is. But to me it looks like she got burnt. Or is it just me ? I hope she makes it.
Yeah, but I can confirm that the previous owner didn't have any heating devices inside or around the tank. She was just on a room temperature :/

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
HMM hope she gets better next molt, maybe a post molt inujury? or fungus

louise f

Arachnoangel
That's good. But i really hope someone else is chiming in with something. Because like i said i am not sure what it is. I wish the best for the little girl <3

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I agree .. that's probably the case.
Yeah my Big Girl P regalis girl has a very tiny small scrape looks like caused after post molt, perhaps I need to make sure her air holes aren't sharp in her pretzel jar.

It looks like a cut , Nothing like this though.

Last edited:

Spiderella

Arachnopeon
That looks like mold or some type of fungus to me.I don't think there's too much you can do about it.Do you know anything about the tarantulas previous owner's enclosure conditions for him/her?:o_O:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
That looks like mold or some type of fungus to me.I don't think there's too much you can do about it.Do you know anything about the tarantulas previous owner's enclosure conditions for him/her?:o_O:
Keep it extra dry just incase, cuz it looks a little like fungus to me also.

Hellemose

Arachnopeon
the black/dark "scaps" makes it look like a burn or sore, but the light gooey stuff does look fungus like, im not sure how F10 or VirkonS affects inverts, but if you dont want to wait until she molts, id suggest a very mild solution of that on a cottonswap and try rub it with it, both are used as anti bacterial and anti fungal disinfectants.

horanjp

Arachnosquire
Get it clean....maybe gently apply some Neosporin for a couple days. CAREFULLY apply superglue and hope for the best (lots of mobile parts there). Fingers crossed for you. Doesn't really matter now how it happened, as long as your husbandry checks out. Re-injury would be the thing to prevent at this point, I think. Good luck.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
That lighter area looks exactly the same as the underlying tissue did when my geniculata had her Tragic Moult. I think that spider had some sort of traumatic injury, or maybe even a moult similar to my genic's. Not to sure about the brown spots.

I have tried to avoid returning to the thread about it and viewing the photos, but in the interest of perhaps helping to diagnose this (even though it is too late to be of help), I went and retrieved a photo showing the similarities and cropped to the pertinent area. Ignore the white powder, that is cornstarch used as a desperate measure to try to reduce loss of fluids. I think that it is clear that while the circumstances of the cause of the injury are probably very different than in my case and may never be known, the photo shows that the area in your photo is sub-exoskeleton tissue.

A thought. the four brown places...puncture wounds? Could the spider have had some sort of close encounter with another animal? Maybe not, but I'd put money on it being a physical injury of some nature.

Attachments

Mako16

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
So said! And so suddenly? Was she still active?
Yes , she was still active .. She also ate a few weeks ago for the first time in my care . And now suddenly she died .