2 Feed or Not 2 Feed... THAT is the Question...

Abraxis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well... here is the story...

C. fasciatum, G. pulchra, T. blondi are 3 of the spiders I have... and all 3 are completely hidden in their burrows... G. pulchra and T. blondi I am not overly worried about cuz both have eaten well and G. pulchra just molted... T's will be T's...

C. fasciatum on the other pedipalp... I have had the C. fasciatum since April 18th... ate lots at first... then sealed up... been there ever since...

is this a common happening ? I know they are ok... but still...

and as the topic states...

How about Feeding ??

Do you still leave crickets in the tank for 24 hrs ? or wait till it comes out ??

any opinions will be appreciated...

I currently leave a cricket in the tank once a week for 24 hrs...

Peace Out

Ken

RazorRipley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They say dont leave crickets in there.... I dont see anything wrong with leaving one. The reason we're not supposed to leave the uneatin in the cage, is because they often will prey on a molting spider that is deemed helpless. So if you know your spider isnt molting, and its just one, then what can it hurt?

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
RazorRipley said:
They say dont leave crickets in there.... I dont see anything wrong with leaving one. The reason we're not supposed to leave the uneatin in the cage, is because they often will prey on a molting spider that is deemed helpless. So if you know your spider isnt molting, and its just one, then what can it hurt?
The cricket will die and smell bad and attract mites

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Mites? Yes and no. If you have dry cages, the crickets will typically die and disappear into the substrate without problems. If it's moist, then you best watch out for mites, because they'll sneak up on ya fast.

I keep most of mine bone dry (which was a reaction to a mite problem I previously had) - since then, I don't worry about removing crickets. Shame on me, because they *could* and have eaten molting Ts, but I have never had a problem. I normally don't feed if I know the spider has an impending molt. Also, a dead cricket or two on a bunch of peat moss doesn't create an offending smell IME, still smells like dirt.