I'm a proud Papa…! (accidentally)

writebrian

Arachnopeon
Since I live in AZ and everyone here is so scared of scorpions, it made me want to keep a few just to freak out my friends. So I wild caught a few C. Sculpturatus and gave them a nice home in a 10 gallon aquarium in my office. Now I actually like the little buggers! It appears one of them was gravid on capture and within a few weeks I came out to find a bunch of little ones hanging on.

So I am a proud Papa! But not sure what I am going to do with 15 scorpions! They just came off Mom's back today, so I am going to start with legless crickets tomorrow. I'll keep you posted on their progress. Any advice appreciated.

Attachments

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
Congrats! I am waiting for my C. Sculpturatus to pop right now. What do you plan on doing with the little ones?

writebrian

Arachnopeon
I honestly have no idea! I was not expecting my colony to grow so fast. I am curious to witness their development so I am going to follow all the care advice I am gathering from the site here. They are already 2i and roaming free.

Last edited by a moderator:

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Personally, I would put the mother and the scorplings back in the wild where they belong. Better for them and you won't have to raise them or deal with any diseases that they are potentially carrying. Also isn't UV bad for scorps?

writebrian

Arachnopeon
Personally, I would put the mother and the scorplings back in the wild where they belong. Better for them and you won't have to raise them or deal with any diseases that they are potentially carrying. Also isn't UV bad for scorps?
Diseases... Are you serious? If they all belong in the wild, why does this forum even exist? And yes, UV is bad for them long term. However I'm sure they're fine with the 15 seconds it took to take that picture. Calm down cowboy

Last edited by a moderator:

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Literally every animal we own came from the wild...

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
They're in a 10 gallon so you could just throw a couple more hiding spots in there and call things good. Guess it depends on how big you want your colony to get ;) I'm not sure what cannibalism is like in this species, but based on your responses I'm guessing you probably don't want to separate all the slings out into individual containers if they like to eat each other. That could also be a good way to limit numbers though and you'll end up with the strongest scorps in your enclosure. Selling or putting them back outside are also good options, but it all comes down to personal preference. If you have a potential buyer, I say go for it!

snakemanvet

Arachnosquire
Congrats,they are a cool little scorpions.I need to fix up a bigger enclosure for mine.

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Literally every animal we own came from the wild...
I am not into scorpions so I am not familiar with which sp. have been introduced to the hobby and which must be wild caught. Yes... in order to introduce inverts to the hobby they must first be collected from the wild. But once an sp. is already in the hobby they are no longer wild... They are...CAPTIVE BRED. Just make sure you give them and any other inverts you collect the best home you can give them.. Which I'm sure you are. I am just generally against collecting wild specimens when it's unecessary.

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
I am not into scorpions so I am not familiar with which sp. have been introduced to the hobby and which must be wild caught. Yes... in order to introduce inverts to the hobby they must first be collected from the wild. But once an sp. is already in the hobby they are no longer wild... They are...CAPTIVE BRED. Just make sure you give them and any other inverts you collect the best home you can give them.. Which I'm sure you are. I am just generally against collecting wild specimens when it's unecessary.
Pretty sure most from Arizona are readily available in the hobby.

However people routinely squish these poor buggers all the time. Hell, Frankie Muniz went on a crazy Scorp killing spree. The twitter feed was pretty funny actually. I don't think removing one mom scorp is going to harm the balance, especially long term.

To be clear it wasn't funny he was killing them, it just made him seem certifiably insane.

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
On a seperate note I suggest going with decapitated crickets instead of legless. That way they can still move around and your inverts will be able to sense the movement.

writebrian

Arachnopeon
So I removed Mom about 3 days ago. All the little guys hide all day and party all night. They are so FAST! Pretty cool to see miniature but full formed scorpions roaming around in there. I have given them plenty of hides and a lot of places to hang and molt as needed.

However I cannot get them to eat yet. I have put cricket legs, head crushed whole crickets and incapacitated roaches and in the morning they are not fed upon at all. Should I be worried yet (almost a week off of Mom)? Should I give them water since they are not taking in moisture from food? Should I just chill out and leave them alone??? Advice???? This parenting stuff is tough!

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
This species is extremely gregarious, you could've kept them together. In fact, sometimes the young are known to leave mom's back, and climb onto a nearby adult female, and she'll treat them as her own. Only males should be separated during brooding, though even then, they dont readily cannibalize.. HOWEVER they will carelessly court and stress females carrying scorplings and may trample a few by mistake. Some people keep large communes of them, and they'll multiply so much they cannot keep up with them and ultimately end up passing the task onto another poor soul LOL

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Glad to see them chowing down! It's nice that they seem to be able to share without too much conflict. I've kept other Centruroides together and there always seems to be a couple power struggles over food items lol.

snakemanvet

Arachnosquire
My sub-adults have shared with no conflict,just don't know how many more molts to adulthood.A couple are about 2'' long now.