P regalis breeding attemp? Cohab?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
They seem to get along rather well and, I feed the female a lot of food . Cohabitation of the two?? work or not
Cage is large enough he can escape female easily, Ive never seen her try too make a meal out of him.

I never seen them breed much yet , but I hear they have long mating rituals.

How risky is this? Female will eat him? or he will attack her?:eek:

Thanks any advice???

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Rule #1: there is no cage so large that a male can 'easily escape' a hungry or angry female.

Breeding Poecs:
- Males should at least 3-4 weeks from molting, well fed and watered.
- Pair them up in the evening.
- Slowly and gently scoop up the male in a 32 oz deli cup. The more upset and scared he gets, the less he'll be thinking about mating.
- Put him in the female's cage, at the opposite side from the female, and keep him as calm as possible. You don't want him panicking and running into the female.
- Hopefully he's in the mood and will pick up on the female's scent, in the air or from her silk.
- He should start drumming his palps; she should tap her front legs in response.
- They should gradually move closer to each other. This drumming/tapping/chasing courtship goes on for 30 minutes. No one gets hurt.
- Once I see both courting, I get bored and leave them til the morning, and then take the male out.
- In dozens of Poec pairings, I've never seen an insertion. I've seen insertions with most other genera.
- I only do one pairing per female. Leaving the male in for multiple nights, or re-pairing greatly increases the odds of him being killed and eaten. If he's gone, and she sheds, you can't re-pair them. That's shooting yourself in the foot. I've sent out many males on breeding loans over the years, and most have perished during a 2nd or 3rd pairing. A couple years ago a guy in Europe posted here about leaving a couple regalis paired up for a few weeks, and the male killed the female. One night is plenty, females can hold just so much sperm.

Sometimes the male sits there and won't drum. That's dangerous for him. The female may assume he's an intruder or a meal. Sometimes the female's not interested and doesn't respond, or is hostile, which is also not good for the male.

Poecs are more tolerant of courting males than most genera, but... I have had several Poec males killed early in the proceedings; 2 were within seconds of going in the female's cage: she felt his footsteps, raced out of her retreat, and killed him instantly. One female (ornata) that did this then shed several months later; and paired peacefully with another male. No guarantees what's going to happen. Until I see both parties interested and romantic, I stand by motionless with a 32 oz deli cup and a prod. I've broken up 'lover's spats' with terrestrials (maybe 50% success rate), but never was quick enough to break up arboreals; either one could panic and run anywhere in the room or on you.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ive seen Poecs pairing multiple times. I had regalis on video once. They do quick insertions. Usually the females of this species are more than willing to mate, and will follow the males all over the place drumming like crazy. Whenever pairing Poecs, i just place the male in for one night, then take him out. Then repeat about a week later. Usually thats all you need. I generally keep everything to two pairings, and then wait.