P. subfusca owners, help me out there!

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've got an upcoming art project involving an embroidered P. subfusca highland. I've never had the privilege of seeing one in person, but I wanna make sure I get all the details right. I've seen some photos where they look kinda navy colored, is this accurate or a trick of the light? Are they just straight up black? Any other details I should know?

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Subfusca's black. The form of ornata that's common in the US is navy blue.

horanjp

Arachnosquire
I've got some pics for you. PM me later this evening and I'll send you some shots with varied lighting that should give you an idea of where the colors belong and blend. The purples and yellows (and rufilata-ish reds even) are visible at certain angles, more so the fresher the molt. I agree with Poec that it's a dark[er] pokie in adulthood, but without a doubt, there are some intense purples that you could accurately incorporate into your project. You can see one such shot as my avatar here (purples not much included). VERY cool looking species.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I've got some pics for you. PM me later this evening and I'll send you some shots with varied lighting that should give you an idea of where the colors belong and blend. The purples and yellows (and rufilata-ish reds even) are visible at certain angles, more so the fresher the molt. I agree with Poec that it's a dark[er] pokie in adulthood, but without a doubt, there are some intense purples that you could accurately incorporate into your project. You can see one such shot as my avatar here (purples not much included). VERY cool looking species.

Some subfusca's have a purple iridescence on the carapace and legs, but the base color is black. There's a few other Poec species with a similar iridescence.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you so much, horanjp!

I finished the design sketches last night, even just sketching out a pokie gave me so much more appreciation for the beauty of the genus. I've been trying to work out the best way to incorporate the iridescent purples into the project, but I'm pretty new to embroidery so it'll take some exp