"Africa isn't letting out any more Rosehairs"

sw18x

Arachnopeon
= the explanation a local petshop gave me for why they have no Ts.

In all fairness, they specialize in exotic reptiles, not Ts, but c'mon!

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Africa isn't letting out rose hairs... Bwahahahahaaa

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight

Sounds like when I was a kid, I got a hissing roach from a bug zoo. They told me it was a South American Hissing cockroach. Grew up and spent most of my young life knowing the common Madagascar hisser by the wrong name.

Given who they are and what they do, you'd think they'd be a little bit better informed.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
All jokes aside, Does africa follow these laws? Spiders= tigers?? Bettr breed every male, they are rare now.

kEEP numbers of slings up!!!:biggrin:

Last edited:

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
All jokes aside, Does africa follow these laws? Spiders= tigers?? Bettr breed every male, they are rare now.kEEP numbers of slings up!!!:biggrin:
Africa likely does not have the funding to be concerned for what Chile does with their spiders.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
In all fairness, this is why everyone should avoid buying spiders from reptile companies that sell spiders on the side.

I've been saying this, like for ever now. I wouldn't buy a toaster from a car dealer. Just saying ;)

Later, Tom

sw18x

Arachnopeon
"this is why everyone should avoid buying spiders from reptile companies"

Yup. I'd rather buy Ts from someone who knows what they are talking about. We have a farm/garden supply chain here in western ny that sells reps and spiders in their pet section. I ran into an employee at one of their locations a few years back, he was a T collector and quite knowledgeable. I was just getting into the hobby, and every time I would stop in, we'd get to talking and I'd say something like "I think I'd like to get a gbb next." next time I'd stop by, he'd have one for sale and of course I'd buy it. That literally happened three times in a row, finally I told him, "one of these times I'm going to tell you how bad I want some rare nightmare species from Asia, then NOT buy it and you'll be stuck with it!" We laughed about that, but in the end that's pretty much what happened with a Lampropelma or something like that. Someone ordered it but didnt buy it and they spent months trying to get rid of it. From what I understand,the manager tightened up their ordering process as a result, and now you have to go directly through a district manager to get a T ordered. I'm still waiting for them to return my call so I can order a couple Psalmos, hence my phone call to this other reptile shop and their BIZARRE response. It's one thing to not be knowledgeable, it's another to make up some crazy and completely erroneous story just so you sound like you know what you're talking about. In the end, I wouldn't even buy a reptile from them now, simply as a matter of credibility (or their lack thereof).

REvan342

Arachnopeon
Rose hairs are from Chile, not Africa....... And yes, Chile has banned tarantulas for export..... It's not a huge problem tho since people will just start breeding with the many many Rose hairs in America.... I'm not too worried.

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
More like 20 watts on a dimmer switch

Those are the super rare form G.roseaspitz known for long distance swimming

I think you have made a classic mistake, based by the off gold medal color of the carapace this is clearly referring to Grammastola porteriphelps. roseaspitz might make it half way across the atlantic but porteriphelps made it to Africa by crossing the pacific and indian oceans.

Hope that clears up the confusion :cool:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Too bad there is so much war in africa, Id love to capture all there ts. Na I cannot afford to fly there, get permits leave it to arachnologists.
Not to mention we do them a favor because they (Black Africans i mean) highly dislike spiders and T's.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Too bad there is so much war in africa, Id love to capture all there ts. Na I cannot afford to fly there, get permits leave it to arachnologists.
I try to imagine how many species of baboon T's waits only to be discovered in Africa; it's almost impossible for me to accept the fact that there's only two arboreals baboons, for example.
Or in the deep, why not maybe some new Pelinobius muticus "clone" etc

Yes, wars, civil wars, diseases, extreme poverty.. an unfinited list but from my experience with African people living here, they aren't in general really interested in them.

Would be great imo to do like Michael Clark Rockfeller (unlimited wallet of course) and search the Black Continent for new baboons T's.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Chile is a country.
Africa is a continent divided into many countries.
Some countries in Africa have banned export of various inverts for decades.

Gross generalizations (Blacks don't like spiders...) are ignorant.

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
Chile is a country.
Africa is a continent divided into many countries.
Some countries in Africa have banned export of various inverts for decades.

Gross generalizations (Blacks don't like spiders...) are ignorant.
lol was whondering how long it would take for someone to have a problem with that.