Dreams, Dissections, Death, & Smells

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dreams, Dissections, Death, & Smells

Last night I had a nightmare about my juvenile male B. vagans climbing his enclosure and falling on his back onto the corner of his half log hide, and having a huge open wound. When I tried to tend to it, all his insides were goopy and started to drain away into nothing until he was hollow. I was very sad. Luckily, irl, he doesn't have much space to climb and he's totally okay.

I think this was really a nightmare about when I dissected my ancient MF Aphonopelma seemanni after she passed away due to old age and had sat for a day or two. That smell... and the goopiness... she's still in my freezer, along with my MM N. chromatus who passed in the last year.

Anyone else tried to dissect their deceased tarantulas? Smelled the strange, chemical, room-intoxicating smell of rotting tarantula death? Strange tarantula dreams or nightmares? I wanna hear.

Last edited:

mmfh

Arachnobaron
Never tried. Did you find anything interesting or was it all just indistinguishable?

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have tarantula death dreams all the time. I'm my dreams I've dropped them, squished them, boiled them and electrocuted them, they have eaten each other, escaped, exploded, melted, drowned, and so on. Maybe it's just bc I focus so much of my time and energy on them, maybe it is bc I'm paranoid I'll harm them or they will get loose somehow or worse. I dunno why... Just happens I guess.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had a nightmare that when I walked into me T room all of my Ts were in pieces all over the floor and the bodies were still moving . It was horrifying ! When I woke up I had to go take a look to make sure all was well just to get rid of the butterflies in my stomach . I'm glad I don't have T nightmares often just the one so far . Although I did dream one of my females ate her male and when I got up in the morning and checked it was true darn it so I guess that counts lol

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
I had a dream that I accidentally cut The Luggage in half. I also regularly have dreams about losing my cats, so I think that sort of thing counts as normal for my brain.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Even in my youthful arachnophobic days I don't recall dreaming about spiders.
I have necropsied a few of my spiders but did so soon after their demise so there was no smell from decomposition.

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
These days my Tarantula nightmares always seem to revolve around my B. boehmei, and me being completely incompetent. :o_O:

I posted one a while back about dreaming that I was showing off to friends by holding her in front of them, but I wasn't using "safe" handling procedures. She bit me on the hand, I flinched and dropped her. Then she hit the coffee table on the way down and that somehow tore off her abdomen.

Then I had another one about her last night. I was feeding my cranky female G. porteri, trying to get her fattened up for breeding so she wouldn't instantly munch her date. I thought I had tossed a tomato worm into the enclosure, but as soon as it hit the bottom I realized that I had tossed my B. boehmei in there instead, and my psycho porteri was on her in a flash doing her best to tear her to pieces. I got her out before she was turned into a bolus, but her abdomen was badly ruptured. I woke up just as I was frantically trying to seal up the wound with cornstarch.

zurgie

Arachnopeon
My stress dreams are always related to what pets I've been focusing my attention on lately, so most often having to do with my aquatic animals.

However there was dream one where I had tons of beautiful tarantulas loose in an unfurnished room and I was worried they'd attack each other, so I was freaking out trying to get them into individual enclosures, and I couldn't remember which ones were safe to handle. I've never been even slightly spooked by a spider, but I experienced arachnophobia very briefly in my sleep that night d;

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Smelled the strange, chemical, room-intoxicating smell of rotting tarantula death? Strange tarantula dreams or nightmares?
:o_O:

Felt like I was reading some H.P. Lovecraft story for a moment...

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I have nightmares about Ts a lot, and I have had many dreams were Ts died,. or were eating eachother.

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Never tried. Did you find anything interesting or was it all just indistinguishable?
I wasn't really looking for anything and tried to only make a small cut. I mostly saw brown, goopy strands.

ciColors

Arachnopeon
I remember having a dream about my OBT, in this dream my maybe 1" sling had grown to adult size almost over night, escaped, and ate my poor little chaco. This was coming off the fears I had after reading numerous OBT threads about bites and aggressiveness. I bought the OBT because it was cheap and pretty, and researched it's care later, which was OBVIOUSLY verry baad of me i know :eek:oh:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I dream about my Ts all the time; but lately it's boring junk: just feeding them, cleaning enclosures, rehousings... Sometimes I do dream about buying really rare ones with unusual colors or designs on them (ones that don't actually exist). And dreams about escapes or deaths/injuries or mite infestations are rare. I do often dream I have more Ts than I really have though.