Psalmopoeus cambridgei - is 3 inches large enough to move into permanent housing?

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
I've had my two P. cambridgei for about a year now and their growth has been comparable to my GBB and Acanthoscurria species. It's been virtually impossible for me to get an accurate measurement on them because they don't hold still long enough for me to bring out the measuring tape, but I'm pretty sure they're either at 3 inches or they're very close to it. Yesterday I picked up two 2 litre plastic cookie jars to move them into.
Now I have two questions:

The title pretty much covers the first one. At 3 inches, are they big enough to move into what will be their permanent enclosures?

My second question is, will a 2 litre jar comfortably house an adult specimen, or should I look for something a bit larger?

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm glad you posted this! I've been wondering the same thing: how large is large enough to move a at into its permanent enclosure. Been particularly curious ab my P. irminia and P. cambridgei as well.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yeah they get big 6-7"
I've had my two P. cambridgei for about a year now and their growth has been comparable to my GBB and Acanthoscurria species. It's been virtually impossible for me to get an accurate measurement on them because they don't hold still long enough for me to bring out the measuring tape, but I'm pretty sure they're either at 3 inches or they're very close to it. Yesterday I picked up two 2 litre plastic cookie jars to move them into.

The title pretty much covers the first one. At 3 inches, are they big enough to move into what will be their permanent enclosures?

My second question is, will a 2 litre jar comfortably house an adult specimen, or should I look for something a bit larger?

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

Those 2 ltr jars won't hold them permanently - you'll need 1 gallon (4.5 ltr) jars at least for them and I wouldn't put a fully grown cambridgei into one of those either - would be way too cramped. I'd say 2.5 - 5 gal tank for P. cambridgei.
Oh, and yes at 3" you can basically transfer them into those new enclosures without problems.

Yeah they get big 6-7"
Only P. cambridgei...

I'm glad you posted this! I've been wondering the same thing: how large is large enough to move a at into its permanent enclosure. Been particularly curious ab my P. irminia and P. cambridgei as well.
Psalmopoeus irminia maxes out at around 5 - 5.5"
Psalmopoeus cambridgei are the biggest species of the genus with usually ~7" fully grown

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I agree it can be moved now.. I have a fm camb pushin 4" in a 12cube (30cm) a slightly smaller camb fm in a 6*6*12 and a much larger p. Irminia in a 6*6* 12 based off the amount they actually move (almost none) i feel iv found the sweet spot for housing. Unless i end up with 7" monsters lol...

Psalmopoeus irminia maxes out at around 5 - 5.5"
Psalmopoeus cambridgei are the biggest species of the genus with usually ~7" fully grown
Whew im in for a world of hurt then.. My male irminia is pen and pushes 5" now... If they pack on a fair amount of size like any of the other MMs iv got.. I may be looking at irm-zilla ;)

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I agree it can be moved now.. I have a fm camb pushin 4" in a 12cube (30cm) a slightly smaller camb fm in a 6*6*12 and a much larger p. Irminia in a 6*6* 12 based off the amount they actually move (almost none) i feel iv found the sweet spot for housing. Unless i end up with 7" monsters lol...

Whew im in for a world of hurt then.. My male irminia is pen and pushes 5" now... If they pack on a fair amount of size like any of the other MMs iv got.. I may be looking at irm-zilla ;)
I honestly haven't heard of any pushing past 5.5" thus far. I guess it's possible there's the occasional 6" but that's certainly an exception in my book.

EDIT: "Phaedra" currently lives in a 40cm (height) x 30cm x 30cm and uses the whole cage when she's out wandering. My P. cam is in a 30cm x 30cm x 30cm cubicle and is doing just fine in there, too. Probably should have done it the other way around, but as it is I got my P. cam when Phaedra was already mature. Firali, the other P. irminia is living in a 1 gallon jar currently - not optimal, but she's doing fine. Although I do have rehousing her on my todo list for the not so distant future.

Last edited:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Absolutely rehome a 3"-er to permanent enclosure. I goofed with my P cambri and put in largish juvie enclosure. Now I gotta rehouse again. Should have skipped juvie and gone straight for permanent home.

Naturally, I made this goof with a speedier T.
:wall: