Anything About Isopods

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
Do you keep isopods? If so, feel free to post here!

Some things to discuss:

• What substrate do you use?
  • What species do you own?
  • What is the temperature and humidity of your isopod colony?
  • Do you keep isopods for fun, or as feeders?
  • Where do you get your isopods?
  • Caresheets.

RomanBuck

Arachnopeon
1) eco earth
2) A. vulgare
A. nasatum
dwarf whites
brickworks
unID'd species from Huntington Beach
3) Room temp, pretty moist.
4) All of the above plus I use them as cleaner crews for roaches, my geckos moist hide, and to help control mites and fungus.
5) That is classified information ;)
6) depends on the species but most follow by this:
Keep them moist, plenty of substrate and hiding spots (bark seems to be preferred), and if you want a lot fast, add heat. Simple as that.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Substrate: I keep mine on coco fiber with the addition of generous quantities of oak and maple leaves, bark, and sticks. I add pieces of cuttlebone and/or baked eggshell.

Species:

Porcellio sp. 'Orange'
Porcellio scaber 'Dalmatian'
Porcellio dilatatus Giant Canyon Isopods
Porcellionides Powder blue isopods
Dwarf striped (species unknown)
Trichorhina tomentosa Micro white woodlice,
Costa Rican 'purples' , also known as jungle Micropods (species unknown)
Armadillidium maculatum Zebra pillbugs

Temperature and humidity: I don't measure. I keep them at room temperature, and the humidity is higher than ambient, but I've never checked what it is. I try to provide a humidity gradient, though, by misting one side of the enclosure.

For fun or feeders? I started keeping them a couple of years ago as a cleanup crew for my geckos. I continue to use them that way...they clean up after so many species! I use some of the more prolific species as feeders, but not as a staple food. I freely admit I really enjoy them as pets too. Some species I will probably never use as feeders.

Where do I get them?
I obtained my first ones in a trade with a local dart frog hobbyist. I got some Oranges and Costa Rican purples in the trade. Within a few months it became apparent that Micro Whites and Dwarf Striped had hitchiked along! Most of the rest I also traded with locals for, although I just purchased the Zebra Pillbugs, the Giant Canyon Isopods, and some additional Dalmatians from Elytra and Antenna on this forum. (I'm very glad I did.)

In Lieu of a caresheet, here are some basic care videos I put together. All isopod species have similar care, but there are some important differences. Some, for example, need more ventilation than others.

[YOUTUBE]idGIaDryA3c[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Z5mxA1fEFP4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]nvoRXRrcrqo[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited: