How do I slow down roach growth?

Spinderella115

Arachnopeon
I bought some pinhead roaches not too long ago. My tarantula is one year old so her abdomen is small and I don't want to feed her roaches bigger than her abdomen but these dang roaches grow so fast because it's summer time. If I put them in the fridge will they slow down growth? I thought I remembered seeing somewhere that that would work but I googled it today and can't seem to find anything about it. I paid $30 for 15 roaches because shipping was outrageous so I don't want to put them in the fridge and find that they all die because I wanted them to stop growing.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Feed less but always provide water might work, but I defer to the people with more roach experience here on AB. What species of roach is it? What's the legspan on your T and what species is it? Alternatively, you could separate out some of the roaches and power feed them to adulthood and get a colony going.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Keeping them cooler will slow down their growth, but you should never put roaches in the fridge, they probably would die. I agree with panna, if you got them breeding then you would have nymphs all the time.

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
Keep them cold

Keep them at a cool temperature. 60 degrees should be cold enough. Provide less food as well.

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Honestly... I wouldn't try and slow down their growth. If you build up a successful colony... you will get roaches of all sizes.

RomanBuck

Arachnopeon
Assuming you bough Blatta lateralis nymphs, I would put ice under half of the container or keep them in a cold area of the house. Lateralis are tough so if you keep them in the warmest part of the INSIDE of the fridge, they should be fine. Plus I find that if the roaches get too big, kill them and feed smaller parts to your slings. Thats what I some times do with my inverts that are too small.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I agree with Roman, pulling off legs and things and feeding them to your spider can work pretty well. Tarantulas usually accept prekilled prey as long as it's fairly fresh.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Get more Large tarantulas, Scorps, or whatever you keep.
I bought some pinhead roaches not too long ago. My tarantula is one year old so her abdomen is small and I don't want to feed her roaches bigger than her abdomen but these dang roaches grow so fast because it's summer time. If I put them in the fridge will they slow down growth? I thought I remembered seeing somewhere that that would work but I googled it today and can't seem to find anything about it. I paid $30 for 15 roaches because shipping was outrageous so I don't want to put them in the fridge and find that they all die because I wanted them to stop growing.
My Larger Ts eat so much , they keep both my roach container populations down.:biggrin: Still I have 1000's probably.