Water dish size for slings?

magneto

Arachnoknight
Hi. I just bought myself 2 new T's. A Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens and a Avicularia versicolor. They were both listed as about 1,5 cm in size. As I have understood it, with slings that small, people usually just mist regulary rather than having a water dish.

I don't trust myself with that on account of me having a small problem with short term memory. A small water dish however lasts long enough that I won't accidently dry them out.

Witch brings me to my question: Would a bottlecap thats 3 cm in diameter and 1 cm deep be too big for slings that are 1,5 cm in size? I'm sure I can find something smaller if I look around, but if they don't pose a threat to the slings, bottlecaps are just more convenient.

And if the caps are too big I'll just save them until Fallout 4 comes out. :biggrin:

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
I suck at cm to inch conversion but for most of my slings I let the prey provide their water, occasionally dropping a few drops of water on the substrate when things get too dry, and then when they are 1"+ and they get out of the lil condiment cups into a deli cup, I give them a pop bottle cap. the only reason I don't give smaller slings water dishes is because vials and condiment cups don't have the room, otherwise I would have no problems offering a cap of water. but that's just me

magneto

Arachnoknight
Thanks. Then I'll give the caps a shot.
About the cm to inch calculation, 1 inch is 2,55cm. For the caps: 3cm= 13⁄16in, for the slings: 1,5 cm= 019⁄32in.

Why you guys keep insisting that the imperial system is better than the metric system is beyond me. :p

cold blood

Staff member
the only reason I don't give smaller slings water dishes is because vials and condiment cups don't have the room, otherwise I would have no problems offering a cap of water. but that's just me
Its not just you. :wink:

I give water dishes as soon as their "homes" have the room.

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
I insist it s better cuz its all I know and im too damn old to learn something new lol

magneto

Arachnoknight
I insist it s better cuz its all I know and im too damn old to learn something new lol
I know I know. But I still say it dosen't get much easier than dividing by 10.

10 millimeter =1 centimeter
10 centimeter = 1 desimeter
10 desimeter = 1 meter
and so on...

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Why you guys keep insisting that the imperial system is better than the metric system is beyond me. :p
Americans like to be special :D Just kidding guys, before anyone takes offense! Anyways, wasn't there some discussion about changing to the metric system over there a few years back? Guess people are just too used to ounces and inch and foot...pity.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
wasn't there some discussion about changing to the metric system over there a few years back? Guess people are just too used to ounces and inch and foot...pity.

We're perfectly content with inches, feet, miles, gallons, and pounds. We know what we're referring to. The rest of you are struggling with that morass know as the metric system.

magneto

Arachnoknight
We're perfectly content with inches, feet, miles, gallons, and pounds. We know what we're referring to. The rest of you are struggling with that morass know as the metric system.
I totally get that you are content with the imperial system because that's what you know. But you gotta admit that imperial are incredibly more complicated than metric. Ounces, pounds, stones, inches, yards, gallons and so on are each based on different number systems right?
(Correct me if I'm wrong here. For the most part I'm as ignorant of the imperial system as you are of the metric one)

In the metric system, every unit of measurment, wether it is length, weight, or volume, is based on the number 10.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I totally get that you are content with the imperial system because that's what you know. But you gotta admit that imperial are incredibly more complicated than metric. Ounces, pounds, stones, inches, yards, gallons and so on are each based on different number systems right?
(Correct me if I'm wrong here. For the most part I'm as ignorant of the imperial system as you are of the metric one)

In the metric system, every unit of measurment, wether it is length, weight, or volume, is based on the number 10.
We like it efficient and easy to comprehend. However, if you're used to the other system the metric one is probably confusing you and vice versa. I've heard a lot of you Americans say they'd wish to have the metric system though. Obviously not enough, however. It's not my business anyways, just saying that from an international perspective, the metric one would make things a lot easier for you.

cold blood

Staff member
Seriously people, its not a contest. We are no less educated because we use a different system....bottom line, the one you grew up learning and use daily is the easiest one for you to deal with. I think the metric system, while I'm familiar with much of it just fine, seems more complicated....and that's ONLY because I didn't grow up with it and only learned metric at a later date.

Its like language, the one you grew up with is the one you relate to...nothing more, nothing less.

magneto

Arachnoknight
Seriously people, its not a contest. We are no less educated because we use a different system....bottom line, the one you grew up learning and use daily is the easiest one for you to deal with. I think the metric system, while I'm familiar with much of it just fine, seems more complicated....and that's ONLY because I didn't grow up with it and only learned metric at a later date.

Its like language, the one you grew up with is the one you relate to...nothing more, nothing less.
Sorry if I came on too strong, didn't mean to.

And I agree with you on that. You grew up with it so it it makes sense to you. But regardless of that, I still insist that imperial is more complicated. And because of that, if it was a contest, i'd say you would win because your system is more complicated and it still comes easy to you.

When i converted cm to inches above here (1,5 cm= 019⁄32in), the imperial part is totally alien to me.

Boy this thread is the definition of sidetracked. :p

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Americans like to be special :D Just kidding guys, before anyone takes offense! Anyways, wasn't there some discussion about changing to the metric system over there a few years back? Guess people are just too used to ounces and inch and foot...pity.
The last great push for the metric system in the USA was in the 1970s, it failed unfortunately.

I use the metric system everyday, it's FAR easier than using the STUPID Imperial system. When I measure length for example, it's much easier to divide metric units of measure than 5 7/16th's inches!!! It's the stupidest system of measurement out there.

Anyone that thinks it's easier, doesn't know metric and/or doesn't care.

A reason that people over here whine about a switch is because they say "I won't know what centimeter is compared to an inch" or whatever. What people fail to realize is that it doesn't matter what the conversion is. If you need to build something and the instructions call for 1 meter of lumber, who cares how many inches that is????

If you need a volume of soda for five people, and all you can do is buy a 2L bottle, does it matter how many pints/quarts/gallons that is? No, all that matters is the unit you are purchasing covers your needs. It's that simple.

The Imperial system is sheer stupidity particularly when it comes to conversion. 36" to a yard, or 100 centimeters for a meter. Dividing by 10 is far easier.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sorry if I came on too strong, didn't mean to.

And I agree with you on that. You grew up with it so it it makes sense to you. But regardless of that, I still insist that imperial is more complicated. And because of that, if it was a contest, i'd say you would win because your system is more complicated and it still comes easy to you.

When i converted cm to inches above here (1,5 cm= 019⁄32in), the imperial part is totally alien to me.

Boy this thread is the definition of sidetracked. :p

I wish the USA would get on the ball and switch, but we never will. It's such a stupid system. I wish I could find a metric tape measure here in the states.

magneto

Arachnoknight
Here is a link to an old thread of mine with pics of what I use as a water dish for tiny slings. They are just cut off pieces of plastic clothes pegs. I have had great success with these as they take a couple of days to dry out ang give the sling a constant water supply.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?264629-Sling-water-dish
Thanks, I might try those.

---------- Post added 07-03-2015 at 08:56 PM ----------

The last great push for the metric system in the USA was in the 1970s, it failed unfortunately.

I use the metric system everyday, it's FAR easier than using the STUPID Imperial system. When I measure length for example, it's much easier to divide metric units of measure than 5 7/16th's inches!!! It's the stupidest system of measurement out there.

Anyone that thinks it's easier, doesn't know metric and/or doesn't care.

A reason that people over here whine about a switch is because they say "I won't know what centimeter is compared to an inch" or whatever. What people fail to realize is that it doesn't matter what the conversion is. If you need to build something and the instructions call for 1 meter of lumber, who cares how many inches that is????

If you need a volume of soda for five people, and all you can do is buy a 2L bottle, does it matter how many pints/quarts/gallons that is? No, all that matters is the unit you are purchasing covers your needs. It's that simple.

The Imperial system is sheer stupidity particularly when it comes to conversion. 36" to a yard, or 100 centimeters for a meter. Dividing by 10 is far easier.
Exactly what I think.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks, I might try those.

---------- Post added 07-03-2015 at 08:56 PM ----------

Exactly what I think.

What's funny is that in the USA, we have been selling soda in 1 liter and 2 liter sizes for a couple of decades now. However we didn't always do that. When that first started people were all worried about "how much a liter will be in volume", but after a while of just using it, you don't think about the conversion, because you don't need to. You know how much a liter will last etc. The same is true for the other units of measure.

Also, oddly, in Puerto Rico, a USA territory, they use the Imperial system except for selling gas/petro. They sell it by the liter!