Water question

roman

Arachnopeon
I'm sorry for the noob question but I am new to keeping sling/small t's. When do I need to start giving water to my 3cm (legspan) holothele incei? The delicup which the t. is in is a bit moist and so is the substrate. I feed the t. a cricket evevery 2/4 days. Should I place a soda bottle cap with some water in the enclosure or wait until the t. gets bigger?

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Generally, no T will drown in a water dish, I have slings that got bottle cap dishes at 1 / 1.5 cm legspan. 3cm is plenty big to have a bottle cap water dish.

roman

Arachnopeon
Thanks! I will put a cap with some water in the enclosure..

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I give small, shallow water bowls to all my spiders starting when they're 1/2" legspan. None have ever drown.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I give small, shallow water bowls to all my spiders starting when they're 1/2" legspan. None have ever drown.
Isn't it cute when they get spooked around then and float on the water? So neat to see! Chad (advan) has an awesome picture displaying a macro shot of a T-foot on the water surface, not breaking it. Gotta love these animals. Oh wait - we all do! :)

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Generally, no T will drown in a water dish, I have slings that got bottle cap dishes at 1 / 1.5 cm legspan. 3cm is plenty big to have a bottle cap water dish.
Agreed. When I got my P. metallica sling I put a bottle cap from a 2L coca-cola bottle. The sling barely made it to cover the dish stretched and I didn't feel it was in danger of drowning at all.

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
I have yet to see a spider in water but, a youtube video told me to soak my molts in a glass of water before I try to sex them, well they sat in there for days completely dry. even if I pushed them underwater with my finger they popped right back to the surface, just as dry as they were before. lol

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I have yet to see a spider in water but, a youtube video told me to soak my molts in a glass of water before I try to sex them, well they sat in there for days completely dry. even if I pushed them underwater with my finger they popped right back to the surface, just as dry as they were before. lol
Add a couple drops of dishsoap to water first.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Storm just posted 2 links to Ts in water.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Put on smooth surface, use sprayer to thoroughly soak in water, let sit for 15 min - voila: Not crunchy anymore.

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
Put on smooth surface, use sprayer to thoroughly soak in water, let sit for 15 min - voila: Not crunchy anymore.
yeah that's how I normally do it, but wanted to try the soaking method to see if it worked better

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
i do similar to storm for sexing. i use my needle from my syrenge and squirt it at the area to pull it apart.. if its fresh i usualy use a needle and toothpick to open the sides. if its older, i let sit for 5 or so mins and open up ^_^ iv never used soap, iv heard alcohol works well too but that i have no clue sounds like a waist to me XD

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
We have old brandy, I mean it's like 3 or 4 years old (we only drink on special occasions), and I wouldn't drink anything that old, so instead of throwing it in the trash, I keep it to soften molts :p it works really well.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
We have old brandy, I mean it's like 3 or 4 years old (we only drink on special occasions), and I wouldn't drink anything that old, so instead of throwing it in the trash, I keep it to soften molts :p it works really well.
brandy is supposed to age... it never goes bad. It will just get better with age. ;)

Dreamlander

Arachnopeon
Don't much about spiders, but something about alcohol. Spirits don't age in a bottle, nor will it go bad unless the bottle gets low and is mostly filled with air. Then it begins to oxidize.