Substrate Help!!!

Newtot

Arachnosquire
I have always used eco earth but im trying to find something more cost effective. I have heard of using vermiculite and peat moss. What brands are safe from home depot? Or what are some other options thanks

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
I made the switch myself recently - I use a combination of peat moss and black earth. Brands differ by region, so I can't help you much there. Just read the labels closely - it will say so on the packaging if any fertilizers or compost has been added.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Option: buy a bag of topsoil about $1.25. Stopped using eco-earth long time ago. For the more moisture dependent species, you can mix a bit of vermiculite in it.

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
I tried the topsoil thing, my problem was that it was a LOT heavier, tends to clump, and when dry them clumps are like cement, so for my arid species it became like gravel in the tank.
once I mixed it 50/50 with coconut choir it solved all of those problems.

---------- Post added 07-03-2015 at 08:51 AM ----------

oh and NONE of my T's that were kept on just the topsoil liked it.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I use straight bagged top soil for all my tarantula species. Works great. I get the Timberline brand at Home Depot for $1.50 for a 40 lb bag. When it's dry it doesn't weigh much, and if it happens to clump, it can easily be broken up. When it's moist it's excellent for digging and tunneling.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
I use straight bagged top soil for all my tarantula species. Works great. I get the Timberline brand at Home Depot for $1.50 for a 40 lb bag. When it's dry it doesn't weigh much, and if it happens to clump, it can easily be broken up. When it's moist it's excellent for digging and tunneling.
I just rehoused my Ephebopus murinus with topsoil and she appears to absolutely hate it. I'd hate to rehouse her again so soon, its been a couple of weeks now. She was on coco fiber before and she tunneled and webbed and did her thing just fine. She is about 5"-6". Any ideas on what is going on? Sub is 6"+ deep and I started a burrow hole in 1 corner.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
This x100! It's certainly the best substrate IMO for burrowing species!
It only makes sense. Tarantulas live in soil; almost nothing lives under falling coconuts.

---------- Post added 07-03-2015 at 12:34 PM ----------

I just rehoused my Ephebopus murinus with topsoil and she appears to absolutely hate it. I'd hate to rehouse her again so soon, its been a couple of weeks now. She was on coco fiber before and she tunneled and webbed and did her thing just fine. She is about 5"-6". Any ideas on what is going on? Sub is 6"+ deep and I started a burrow hole in 1 corner.
Does it have a cork slab to hide under, to start a burrow with? My 3 adult female E murinus all have dug out burrows under their cork slabs.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
Does it have a cork slab to hide under, to start a burrow with? My 3 adult female E murinus all have dug out burrows under their cork slabs.
Yes, she has a slab of cork bark right over the burrow I started for her. Could she be stressed still from the rehousing?

truecreature

Arachnoknight
It could take her a while to settle down. My E. pachypus only just now started her burrow and it's been almost 2 months

DVMT

Arachnosquire
How long has it been? Could be...
Been about 2-3 weeks now. She also hasn't eaten. She was eating fine before the rehousing. She last molted about a year ago, so I guess it is possible I rehoused her as she was approaching premolt.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Been about 2-3 weeks now. She also hasn't eaten. She was eating fine before the rehousing. She last molted about a year ago, so I guess it is possible I rehoused her as she was approaching premolt.

I think there was other factors and the new type of soil has little to do with it.

cold blood

Staff member
What about organic potting soil
No...organic very often has manure added....you don't want that in your enclosures. The cheap basic stuff at home depot, like poec mentioned, is by far the best, most cost effective sub...also the most natural, as poec points out.

Earthgro is the brand home depot sells in my neck of the woods.

I tried the topsoil thing, my problem was that it was a LOT heavier, tends to clump, and when dry them clumps are like cement, so for my arid species it became like gravel in the tank.
once I mixed it 50/50 with coconut choir it solved all of those problems.

---------- Post added 07-03-2015 at 08:51 AM ----------

oh and NONE of my T's that were kept on just the topsoil liked it.
Yeah it can clump, but you break it up, or you should break it up prior to use, its not really too tough as long as you don't mind dirty hands. Also I add a little sand to the soil, this prevents clumping as the soil dries, easier to mix in and more efficient (and cheaper) as well than adding expensive cocofiber.

I really, REALLY like the fact that its heavier, as it makes the enclosures more stable.

I have never had a single issue with top soil....I'd way rather spend $1.37 on a 40 lb bag of soil than $7 for a little 2 quart bag of coco fiber or jungle mix. I can use the savings for feeders or new t's....I've probably saved well over $100 in the last month alone just because I now use soil.

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
see and im with you and poec, I want the cheap %$@# to work. and I do want to admit that the bag I bought was EARLY spring and wet, so it was all clumped up when I used it.
but when those clumps dried they WERE like rocks and my T's hated it.
Maybe if I had a dry bag that wasn't all wet and clumpy to start with i'd be good?
I will try again see how it plays out with a dry bag.
but the heaviness in stacked tubs is no Bueno, so I will still have to use eco-earth in those.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes, she has a slab of cork bark right over the burrow I started for her. Could she be stressed still from the rehousing?
Considering this species lives on soil, she will be fine.

Stressed is an overly used in the exotic hobby, I doubt she needs a T psychologist. :biggrin:

cold blood

Staff member
Stressed is an overly used in the exotic hobby, I doubt she needs a T psychologist. :biggrin:
+1

...the bag I bought was EARLY spring and wet, so it was all clumped up when I used it.
but when those clumps dried they WERE like rocks and my T's hated it.
Maybe if I had a dry bag that wasn't all wet and clumpy to start...

Yeah its always a little moist, but you really have to break apart all those clumps as you are filling the enclosure. I run my hands through it over and over and even the small nickel sized clumps get broken up and smoothed out. You're right, if they aren't broken up they practically become rocks. Breaking it apart as you use it is the small price you pay for dirt (hehe) cheap substrate. Adding a little sand helps keep it smooth.

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
so does eco earth which come in bricks like 3 packs for 72 cents or something. you people paying a hundred dollars for the bag of loose stuff are why you think its expensive. lol
I will make eco-earth cool again!