my first spider health issue

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
My L.parahybana sling has some sort of boo boo that appeared yesterday. he is tiny and from a distance all you see is a white line across one side of his face. I zoomed in with the phone and it looks like some sort of scratch/depression that appears to have taken out the eyes on that side. again he is so small even with the zoom I cant be sure of what I am seeing. heres a pic, best I could get. 20150702_214356.jpg

wife thinks it looks like hair, but there is very clearly a white line on his head that was not there the day before. and I am almost positive them eyes are injured from the photo.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Although I don't know what it is I'm looking at: If the T behaves completely fine otherwise, drinks and eats - don't worry. I'd keep an eye on it and probably check after the next molt if "it" is still there, but other than that you and your T's should just go about your business.

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
Maybe it fell on something hard from the side of the enclosure. She'll likely be fine after her next molt.

If she's acting normally, I wouldn't worry about it.

It could also simply be that she pooped on herself somehow. There's definitely white stuff there, but I can't tell what it is with the quality of the pic.

cold blood

Staff member
Definitely looks like the eyes have been damaged, however, it doesn't look like any major concern (not life threatening).

I'd say nothing a molt or two can't fix, but I honestly can't think of ever seeing a t with damaged eyes, so I'm not sure how effectient they are at regenerating eyes.

Catfishrod has a t that has NO eyes, never had them, yet it gets along pretty normally. This t didn't regenerate its eyes (as far as I recall), although it was born without them, as opposed to being damaged.

She'll be fine, but definitely keep us posted as to the "regeneration" following molts....poor t, but kinda interesting at the same time.

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
I will get bashed for this- but lets be honest, not my first bashing. so here goes. I am glad that what ever happened to it, it happened on a cheap and very common L.P.
I had intended to trade off the two L.P's I have but, now I will keep this T if for no other reason than to see how this plays out, so I know more how to handle it if it happens on a rarer T.
I am NOT happy that this T is injured, but this is an opportunity to learn on an extremely common and inexpensive species. better him than the P. metallica is all I mean by it.

cold blood

Staff member
I will get bashed for this- but lets be honest, not my first bashing. so here goes. I am glad that what ever happened to it, it happened on a cheap and very common L.P.
I had intended to trade off the two L.P's I have but, now I will keep this T if for no other reason than to see how this plays out, so I know more how to handle it if it happens on a rarer T.
I am NOT happy that this T is injured, but this is an opportunity to learn on an extremely common and inexpensive species. better him than the P. metallica is all I mean by it.
:?I don't think you'll get "bashed" (I hate the term):?

I totally see what you're saying.

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
yes you do, because you seem like a fairly intelligent creature. but there are those......I better just stop.

---------- Post added 07-03-2015 at 03:06 PM ----------

and I hate the word " collection " these are living creatures, not stamps.

cold blood

Staff member
[/COLOR]and I hate the word " collection " these are living creatures, not stamps.
What if you had a fan in a room, on high. On one side you have a stamp collection, the other side, a Brachypelma "collection"....which collection moves more frequently??:clown:

I've always referred to mine as a collection...what do you call them...your flock? herd? school? pack?:}

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
What if you had a fan in a room, on high. On one side you have a stamp collection, the other side, a Brachypelma "collection"....which collection moves more frequently??:clown:

I've always referred to mine as a collection...what do you call them...your flock? herd? school? pack?:}
Newsflash: Late this evening a ravenous pack of tarantulas was seen hunting in walmart going through the meat counter. Nothing was left after the pack moved through and we can only hope they won't be back anytime soon. The weater...

Silly, I know...just popped into my head when I read "pack" lol

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
I call my spiders my homies. Be clear, you know you talk to your spiders....
I'm 240 pounds of semi-solid muscle. covered in tattoos and scars. and I straight baby talk my spiders.
" hows my widdle baby girl?" "my widdle baby hungry?" "ooh look at those sexy new clothes!"
I also call my pit bull Noodle "noodlie woodlies"
What?! i'm secure in my manhood.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
I'm 240 pounds of semi-solid muscle. covered in tattoos and scars. and I straight baby talk my spiders.
" hows my widdle baby girl?" "my widdle baby hungry?" "ooh look at those sexy new clothes!"
I'm about 215 on my way to 190 and got some fine scars as well. Pit bulls, spiders, baby talk....RESPECT. I actually talk to them like they are adult humans....just weather and sports when I am getting ready in the morning. "How y'all doin? Damn Clippers throwing that Houston series...seriously?" Little Hmac ran up my tongs today gave me a little worry. I was like "Bap Bap Bap, come on now. Back home lil nugget."

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
She'll be fine, but definitely keep us posted as to the "regeneration" following molts....poor t, but kinda interesting at the same time.
As you say, I'm inclined to think the eyes may be fine with a molt or two, but I'm not sure. Either way, I'm quite interested to see how this plays out as well.

I'm 270, 6' 4", and a tattooed gym rat myself. I personally don't talk to my spiders that way, as I know they don't hear me or give a :poop: about me. I do talk to my dogs though however lol. Stereotypes and appearances don't mean much...I may sort of look like a wrestler, but my little dogs are a miniature Jack Russell and a French Bulldog/Chihuahua mix. How's that for shattering expectations? :laugh:

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
the eyes look like clear bubbles now, or there are blisters where the eyes used to be. he has stopped eating(but could use a molt, so maybe coincidence) but he appears to be completely blind. at any disturbance he slaps the air in front of him,
if I touch his back or sides he will act extremely surprised that something was there, spin in that direction and take a wild swing at the air. I have since moved him to a separate room so no one else catches his leprosy. I have slightly better updated pics of his eyes I will post after work. (I use the zoom on the phone to inspect him and usually snap a few pics since i'm already there)
will update after work....errr after I open my shipment of new spiders that are being delivered after work I mean.

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
well he has appeared to have molted out of whatever issue he had, I have not zoomed in for a real good look at his eyes but to the bare eye they seem ok. it was almost like the closer he got to his/her molt the worse the eyes got?