2nd ever breeding attempt....

mmfh

Arachnobaron
I very excited right now. I know this is old news to breeders on here but I just had my second attempt at breeding. I just paired my G. porteri female with a freshly molted male and things went much better than the first time. So wish me luck :) and thank you for reading.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Good luck, hope she drops a nice fat sac for you! :) I also recently did my first breeding attempt with some lovely P. Irminia, so I know the excitement :)

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I paired my two G. porteri too a couple of months ago. I'm hoping to get a sac but it's looking doubtful.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Paired my G. porteri too...I think in February? No idea how many times I paired her lol, more then enough I am sure. I paired her about 2 months after she molted so...hopefully she makes a sac for me too.

Pairing them up is really exciting, I can see myself doing it a lot in the future!

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Good luck guys! With the new ban, I'd like to see these bred. But then, I am partial to G rosea/porteri.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a G. rosea that is a sub-adult...I want to breed (hopefully her) in the far away future :) G. poteri/rosea are very pretty in their own right.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I paired my two G. porteri too a couple of months ago. I'm hoping to get a sac but it's looking doubtful.
Remember..these girls take yrs to molt rattie dont be doubtful.. I paired my rosea once and am seeing a nice fat belly from my picky eater xD you paired urs twice tho didnt u?

mmfh

Arachnobaron
No pics because I was ready to play interference when the brave boy ran for it. My female proved last time that she's a bit feisty. I have to admit I'm also partial to G. porteri. I think I have a pretty good chance of getting an egg sack since she is only one year into a three year molt cycle. Is there any evidence that pairing a female more than one time gives a better chance at getting an egg sack or that it produces a larger egg sack?

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
No pics because I was ready to play interference when the brave boy ran for it. My female proved last time that she's a bit feisty. I have to admit I'm also partial to G. porteri. I think I have a pretty good chance of getting an egg sack since she is only one year into a three year molt cycle. Is there any evidence that pairing a female more than one time gives a better chance at getting an egg sack or that it produces a larger egg sack?
not at all sometimes you have people who pair them 5 or 6 times and get nothing.. its all veriables but usually the first works. so long as you seen insertion and your males not too old, you should be fine... i think the age is a much bigger factor then the amount of pairings... poec for example only does one and i dont think its verry often his fm's molt out ^_^

mmfh

Arachnobaron
I decided to pair up my G. porteri one more time. I had given my female a roach to eat about 2 hours ago so figured that would be in the males favor lol. It turned out to be an annoying pairing. Unlike the first time when the male was eager and the female responsive, this time the male was hesitant and the female just seemed annoyed by the whole thing. They did pair up but it was an awkward position and I couldn't see if any insertions took place. God61021, I did get u a picture ;) . Afterward the male tried to run as the female rained the smackdown on him lol it's amazing how many hits they can get in and how quickly. I left her trying to rip apart a piece of cardboard while I got the nervous male back in his cage. Now all I have to do is get more substrate into her enclosure and wait. Wish they had a tarantula pregnancy test lol

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Wish they had a tarantula pregnancy test

They don't get pregnant. They produce eggs, which are fertilized when they're laid. Spiders have some strange ways of doing things, like using their 'hands' as insertion organs, masturbating on sperm webs, predigesting food before swallowing it, and all the things they do with silk. How did all of this evolve?

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
I paired up three of my females 3 months ago. Doing research on these ahead of time I've read that they can take their good ole time dropping a sack being as soon as 90 days and even up to a year+ (That's what I've read anyway). This was my first breeding attempt as well. One of my females is being different than her normal self I've noticed, Eating "A lot" more than usual (She'll take anything!) Very edgy almost moody (I know they are known for being moody) Moving lots of substrate around to reinforce her hide. I'm taking it that she's gravid (has to be!, In my hopes anyway, lol)
I post this because I wanted to ask the guys/gals on here that have successfully pulled it off breeding this species. What are the most
common traits to look for when you think your pretty sure you have gravid female on your hands?

mmfh

Arachnobaron
Ok, now Im just freaked out. My calm, take a decade to move from the right side to the left side of the cage, pet rock has become a; climb all over the cage, start moving dirt, monster! She has moved more in the day since that last pairing attempt then she has in years! :eek:
P.s. Poec54, Thanks to your post, I am thinking WAY too much about tarantula reproductive form and function!

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Ok, now Im just freaked out. My calm, take a decade to move from the right side to the left side of the cage, pet rock has become a; climb all over the cage, start moving dirt, monster! She has moved more in the day since that last pairing attempt then she has in years! :eek:
P.s. Poec54, Thanks to your post, I am thinking WAY too much about tarantula reproductive form and function!
Thats because shes about to lay eggs most likely silly xP no need to fret. Now if shw was digging and climbed up silking top and made dirt curtains theeen id become concerned ;)

mmfh

Arachnobaron
Her first breeding was July 3, 2015 :p I wasn't expecting nesting behavior for awhile lol. Is it theoretically even possible to get an egg sack that quickly? I'm thinking like this....."whew glad that human came along with a male 'cause here I was all full of eggs and nothing to do" lol

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Her first breeding was July 3, 2015 [emoji14] I wasn't expecting nesting behavior for awhile lol. Is it theoretically even possible to get an egg sack that quickly? I'm thinking like this....."whew glad that human came along with a male 'cause here I was all full of eggs and nothing to do" lol
Haha well.. I suppose anythings possible eh? XD

mmfh

Arachnobaron
Well holy crap! Just moved into a new house, tarantulas have been ignored because I've been so busy. Went to give everyone water.... Pulled my G. porteri cage up into watering position.....instantly think "dang that's a lot of webbing" and realize she was or had just finished laying eggs. Was not expecting a 2.5 month gestational period!!!! Carefully put her back without water and now I'm kicking myself and hoping for the best.
My bad... I'm so tired I can't even do simple math lol.....it's been like 54 days not 2.5 months

Last edited:

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Well holy crap! Just moved into a new house, tarantulas have been ignored because I've been so busy. Went to give everyone water.... Pulled my G. porteri cage up into watering position.....instantly thing "dang that's a lot of webbing" and realize she was or had just finished laying eggs. Was not expecting a 2.5 month gestational period!!!! Carefully put her back without water and now I'm kicking myself and hoping for the best.
My bad... I'm so tired I can't even do simple math lol.....it's been like 54 days not 2.5 months
Thats almost 2 months.. Shocked to hear it tho nayve it has something to do with her feeding sxhedual? mine took about 4 months but she wasnt the fattest girl and didnt eat a whole lot durring her egg development (once a month maybe as most roaches was murdered and thrown in her water dish)