Urticating hair assistance!!!!

Mello

ArachnoQUEEN
Hi friends! I finally sexed my LP and I thought gloves and a mask would be suffienient but I am now suffering from severe itch syndrome. Anyone have remedies for this?? I showered, scrubbed my itchy skin, and I'm still dying! Recommendations please!!!!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Showering only makes it way worse for me 10x Worse.
Body powder seems to stop it from spreading , I am not sure its real name. Shower & bath deodorant powder stuff.
Alergy pills help too ! Probably the most.
Hi friends! I finally sexed my LP and I thought gloves and a mask would be suffienient but I am now suffering from severe itch syndrome. Anyone have remedies for this?? I showered, scrubbed my itchy skin, and I'm still dying! Recommendations please!!!!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've heard (no idea if that's true) lavender oil proves relieving. And if you got a full load, nothing much you can do but using tape to try remove any stuck in skin hairs. That, too, won't "fix" it though.

-=}GA']['OR{=-

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You could try an antihistamine like benadryl, and or a hydrocortisone cream. Unfortunately urticating hairs seem to get worse and worse after repeated exposure. I had to give up all of my urticating species because after 10 yrs of keeping it got to be to annoying.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
-=}GA']['OR{=-;2392268 said:
You could try an antihistamine like benadryl, and or a hydrocortisone cream. Unfortunately urticating hairs seem to get worse and worse after repeated exposure. I had to give up all of my urticating species because after 10 yrs of keeping it got to be to annoying.
Which is common, too. Late examples for that kinda thing are me getting a bad itch from my Avics cages...even Poec said something of that sort after helping to pack a friend a few hundred Avics.

Certain species can cause more of a reaction than others, too.

Antihistamine - that's the word I was lookng for! That may help, too.

-=}GA']['OR{=-

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Which is common, too. Late examples for that kinda thing are me getting a bad itch from my Avics cages...even Poec said something of that sort after helping to pack a friend a few hundred Avics.

Certain species can cause more of a reaction than others, too.

Antihistamine - that's the word I was lookng for! That may help, too.
Yeah man, it gets to be brutal! I could not even go into the room without getting itchy!

You are right about certain species being worse than others. Nhandu, Acanthoscurria, Theraphosa, Pamphobeteus, and some Brachypelma, are the worst for me.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
-=}GA']['OR{=-;2392272 said:
Yeah man, it gets to be brutal! I could not even go into the room without getting itchy!

You are right about certain species being worse than others. Nhandu, Acanthoscurria, Theraphosa, Pamphobeteus, and some Brachypelma, are the worst for me.
Same here - it's the reason why I can't keep a Nhandu, although I'd like to. Theraphosa I can't stand being in the same room if their enclosure is open... My genic gives me a bad itching, but so far it's not too bad luckily. I react a lot to my Avics though.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cold showers, or ice on the itchiest areas. The cold has anti-inflammatory effects as well as a little temporary local anesthetic effect.
And antihistamines. Topical hydrocortisone or benzocaine will help, too. Then you just have to tough it out the best you can and try not to scratch into a secondary bacterial infection.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
My 'Theraphosa suit' for cage transfers:

Cover up: Long sleeves, collared shirt, long pants, gloves and a face shield (painter's/grinder's mask)

Where you itch: Use masking tape; wrap around your hand, sticky side out, and pat the affected areas. It will remove most of the hairs. Do this before scratching.

cold blood

Staff member
I've slowly been starting to feel their effects recently. I have many Nhandu, and at times, do feel that itch in the t room. Recently I unpacked 8 Avics...this was the result, despite cooperative re-housings I managed to drop one of the paper towels one was packed in onto my forearms in the process...this is the result....the other wrist and forearm look the same....Thanks Rick!!!:laugh:

Attachments

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
I haven't had the pleasure of being introduced to urticating setae just yet.

Anyone remember in grade school (or high school, lol) pouring white glue on their hands, and peeling it off, revealing your fingerprints? If you were really skilled, you could have a whole hand? You can apparently use this to dust old vinyl records, and if the glue is strong enough, you can play the glue record (it's backwards) or make copies of it (they play correctly).

Any chance this could work for hairy places, like backs of arms and such, if you peeled slowly? Might take away the spider 'hair' but leave the people hair behind? Could maybe add some lotion to the glue?

"It puts the lotion in the glue, or it gets the setae again!"

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
You only keep Old worlders?
I haven't had the pleasure of being introduced to urticating setae just yet.

Anyone remember in grade school (or high school, lol) pouring white glue on their hands, and peeling it off, revealing your fingerprints? If you were really skilled, you could have a whole hand? You can apparently use this to dust old vinyl records, and if the glue is strong enough, you can play the glue record (it's backwards) or make copies of it (they play correctly).

Any chance this could work for hairy places, like backs of arms and such, if you peeled slowly? Might take away the spider 'hair' but leave the people hair behind? Could maybe add some lotion to the glue?

"It puts the lotion in the glue, or it gets the setae again!"
Nhando hairs are very bad!!!

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
You only keep Old worlders?
Nhando hairs are very bad!!!
I only keep two tarantulas, a Brachypelma albopilosum who keeps her setae to herself, and a tiny Euathlus sp. "Red" that I've seen flick setae, but she's always underground when she does. I'm very scared of keeping species like Nhandu (and Theraphosa), just for their setae reputation! I'd rather not have a suit needed for maintenance day. :D

Mello

ArachnoQUEEN
Thank you all for the tips!! I have pomphylox eczema, so I have a prescription steroid ointment. That actually did work wonders! That, plus an allergy pill, made me able to sleep without ripping off my skin! I'll for sure have a better body suit/skin protector next time!

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
iv thought about trying this.. but ik it works with splinters but if i get haired [ever plz let it be never!!] ima do this...F"ill a wide mouthed bottle with hot water nearly to the brim, and press affected part of hand tightly against mouth of bottle. The suction will pull down the flesh, and steam will soon draw out the splinter." ik its pulled out a few nice sized splinters and razor sharp scales from my thumb meat.. maybe itl help with uh

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I unpacked 8 Avics...this was the result, despite cooperative re-housings I managed to drop one of the paper towels one was packed in onto my forearms in the process...this is the result....the other wrist and forearm look the same.

And how many people don't believe you can have a reaction to Avic's urticating hairs? Especially since you don't see them kicking them, and when you're not touching the spider. I think they put them in their silk retreats as a natural defense.

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
iv thought about trying this.. but ik it works with splinters but if i get haired [ever plz let it be never!!] ima do this...F"ill a wide mouthed bottle with hot water nearly to the brim, and press affected part of hand tightly against mouth of bottle. The suction will pull down the flesh, and steam will soon draw out the splinter." ik its pulled out a few nice sized splinters and razor sharp scales from my thumb meat.. maybe itl help with uh
I know you want to becareful heating up your skin, I used to have a job in a fiberglass factory. the warmer you get the more your pores open allowing the itchy fibers to go in farther.
I have yet to have a reaction to urticating hairs, but I would assume it is much the same process, wash the area with COLD water to tighten up your pores and push the fibers out.
I would get home from work in the winter, carefully remove the fiberglass covered clothes and soak in an ice cold bath. once your chest hits the ice cold water you can NOT take a breath no matter how hard you try but it was so worth it to get that stuff off my skin. if you were dumb enough to take a hot shower after work, you were in for a bad night! (fiberglass doesn't have barbs like T hairs so the two may not work the same)

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I know you want to becareful heating up your skin, I used to have a job in a fiberglass factory. the warmer you get the more your pores open allowing the itchy fibers to go in farther.
I have yet to have a reaction to urticating hairs, but I would assume it is much the same process, wash the area with COLD water to tighten up your pores and push the fibers out.
I would get home from work in the winter, carefully remove the fiberglass covered clothes and soak in an ice cold bath. once your chest hits the ice cold water you can NOT take a breath no matter how hard you try but it was so worth it to get that stuff off my skin. if you were dumb enough to take a hot shower after work, you were in for a bad night! (fiberglass doesn't have barbs like T hairs so the two may not work the same)
Its about suction tho not the heat itself