Tarantula says...

shelpen

Arachnosquire
Yet another little story of a tarantula doing what a tarantula wants to do... :giggle:

After finishing munching on an adult male B. dubia, my A. chalcodes put the remains right into the water dish (she usually stacks the unchewables in a corner). I was cleaning the enclosure and since the leftovers were floating in the dish as a solid block, I took it out and dumped it in the usual corner...

Well...

A mere 10 min later, I was checking on my Ts and what do I see?!

The remains are floating in the water AGAIN.

As she was saying "It belongs in the water, dumb hooman!" :eek:oh:

Last edited:

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
lol my rosea fm has been doing that sense she was paired up.. i literally have to give her water before and after her dubia -.- rather annoying.. lmao once we went back and forth for weeks before i stopped giving it before the dubia and she still put it in the dish... i gave up.. fresh water before and after because shes a shy eater and wont strike with the lid open]

Last edited:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Why would you take the bolus and put it into another place in the enclosure instead of removing it altogether? She's probably more like "So you're just changing the location of the trashbin? I'll teach ya...remove that stuff!"

shelpen

Arachnosquire
Why would you take the bolus and put it into another place in the enclosure instead of removing it altogether? She's probably more like "So you're just changing the location of the trashbin? I'll teach ya...remove that stuff!"
Good point! :o_O: I'm not sure why I didn't remove it all together... :laugh:

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As she was saying "It belongs in the water, dumb hooman!" :eek:oh:

Well she is basically saying that, they put boluses in water so it gets washed away.

Leaving boluses in enclosures is just asking for problems.

shelpen

Arachnosquire
Well she is basically saying that, they put boluses in water so it gets washed away.

Leaving boluses in enclosures is just asking for problems.
Actually her all her boluses are bone dry [when I found them it is] and usually stacked in a [dry] corner -- so no problems so far. :geek:

cold blood

Staff member
Actually her all her boluses are bone dry [when I found them it is] and usually stacked in a [dry] corner -- so no problems so far. :geek:
They are still an attraction for mites and other unwanted pests. There should never be a "stack" in the corner, its your responsibility to remove them before a pile ever forms....don't and you're asking for a host of irritations.

If I see a single bolus in an area I can get to, it gets removed asap.

louise f

Arachnoangel
It just shows how cleaver T's are. most of my T's do the same with the water bowl. I take the water bowl out and clean it right away. :wink:

You don't want :poop: laying around your house either.

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
My B. albopilosum is in early pre-molt, and a few days ago added a silk line to her water dish. It wicked all the water out, so I pulled the dish, washed it, replaced it, then filled it back up with water, and ensured no silk lines were leading to it.

She promptly pooped in it.

:D

shelpen

Arachnosquire
There should never be a "stack" in the corner, its your responsibility to remove them before a pile ever forms...
Sometimes the pile is covered with a "rolled up rug" and secured with additional web... :laugh:

Don't worry though, I take an excellent care of my spiders. :geek::love:
In hubby's opinion I'm obsessed...

Last edited:

shelpen

Arachnosquire
But you leave boluses in enclosures? Whether it's covered in web or not, it's still a molt/mite hazard.
Yes, I leave them there until found. I do not actively look for them, no. But when I see them - I remove them.
Thank you for your concern.

REvan342

Arachnopeon
Yeah my T does some..... Dumb things.... I've only had him a week, but he's eaten 3 pin head crickets, and a large one.... He hid all 4 boluses UNDER his little ditch that he constructed..... So today I had to take forceps and dig around his ditch to try and not destroy it just to get his rotting leftovers out of the cage..... He also tipped over his water cap, then proceeded to drink from the substrate.... I later see that the bottle cap disappeared..... Guess where he hid it?.... With the boluses, under the ditch.... I didn't bother to move the cap yet tho.... Anyways he's so funny XD

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah my T does some..... Dumb things.... I've only had him a week, but he's eaten 3 pin head crickets, and a large one.... He hid all 4 boluses UNDER his little ditch that he constructed..... So today I had to take forceps and dig around his ditch to try and not destroy it just to get his rotting leftovers out of the cage..... He also tipped over his water cap, then proceeded to drink from the substrate.... I later see that the bottle cap disappeared..... Guess where he hid it?.... With the boluses, under the ditch.... I didn't bother to move the cap yet tho.... Anyways he's so funny XD
I only have 4 words for this: Get used to it :D

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
Lordy...my A. genics do this. I always check for boluses the day after I do feedings and most of my Ts either don't leave much behind, or they put their boluses where they're easy to retrieve. Not my bloody genics...one of them dug a pit to serve the dual purpose of latrine and bolus storage, the other decided the best place to store her boluses would be in a nasty pile behind her water dish, covered in dirt so I couldn't find them until they started harboring life. Has anyone figured out how to effectively scold a Tarantula yet? :p

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Lordy...my A. genics do this. I always check for boluses the day after I do feedings and most of my Ts either don't leave much behind, or they put their boluses where they're easy to retrieve. Not my bloody genics...one of them dug a pit to serve the dual purpose of latrine and bolus storage, the other decided the best place to store her boluses would be in a nasty pile behind her water dish, covered in dirt so I couldn't find them until they started harboring life. Has anyone figured out how to effectively scold a Tarantula yet? [emoji14]
I hear punishment by offering large pray items is acceptable ;) and we cant call TPS on you (tarantula protective services) lmao

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Big prey item, you mean Mice? I fed my big female A brock 2-3 small fuzzy mice in her lifetime.
I hear punishment by offering large pray items is acceptable ;) and we cant call TPS on you (tarantula protective services) lmao

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Big prey item, you mean Mice? I fed my big female A brock 2-3 small fuzzy mice in her lifetime.
Well watch out for the fluffy animal lovers on thatone but i was thinking more like adult male dubias for 3.5" Ts ;) iv done this a time or two they seem to love it even more then a apropriate sized dubia..xD oops did i say love? I ment uhm.. They hate you for the week and feel punnished xD

Last edited: