Waiting for two versicolor slings

o0 Mr Ed 0o

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's has been nearly two years since my last T purchase, which was a B auratum sling from a local pet shop, actually it was a birthday present from my missus. I have lost four Ts in those two years, a N Chromatus, avic avic, OBT and a Versicolor all of which were mature males, I also sold a H Mac, P regalis, L parahybana, G Rosea and a P Metallica. Why I sold them is beyond me, I didn't need the money or need the space, I wasn't to keen on the H Mac though, rehousing gave the jitters. Anyway my new Ts, I forgot how exciting it is getting some new additions. I have got their little homes all ready for them to move in and their own little space on the shelf. It got me thinking, does anybody have any idea where to buy those acrylic containers, the nice rectangular ones with sharp edges that are good for housing arboreals, to be purchased in the UK? I have searched before but never found anything.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

cold blood

Staff member
It's has been nearly two years since my last T purchase, which was a B auratum sling from a local pet shop, actually it was a birthday present from my missus. I have lost four Ts in those two years, a N Chromatus, avic avic, OBT and a Versicolor all of which were mature males, I also sold a H Mac, P regalis, L parahybana, G Rosea and a P Metallica. Why I sold them is beyond me, I didn't need the money or need the space, I wasn't to keen on the H Mac though, rehousing gave the jitters. Anyway my new Ts, I forgot how exciting it is getting some new additions. I have got their little homes all ready for them to move in and their own little space on the shelf. It got me thinking, does anybody have any idea where to buy those acrylic containers, the nice rectangular ones with sharp edges that are good for housing arboreals, to be purchased in the UK? I have searched before but never found anything.

Nice, versicolor are a most excellent species.

How big are they...or will they be? For slings I'd suggest a 32oz deli cup. Cheap, offers great visibility, is easily ventilated, make for easy, good looking set-ups, and has a pliable top which makes opening the lid without destroying the webbing fairly easy. They can comfortably stay in deli cups like these till they get a little over 3". I'm a big fan of deli cups.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It got me thinking, does anybody have any idea where to buy those acrylic containers, the nice rectangular ones with sharp edges that are good for housing arboreals, to be purchased in the UK? I have searched before but never found anything.
Don't really know lots of shops in the UK selling them, but you may try these links:

CLICK

CLICK

o0 Mr Ed 0o

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I should imagine they are 2nd possibly 3rd instar. They will be going into pill jars, which are all ready to go. I have loads of deli cups and other tubs. I don't need nor want anymore. I would like to know where to buy or what to search for to find those acrylic boxes.

---------- Post added 07-06-2015 at 09:09 PM ----------

I should imagine they are 2nd possibly 3rd instar. They will be going into pill jars, which are all ready to go. I have loads of deli cups and other tubs. I don't need nor want anymore. I would like to know where to buy or what to search for to find those acrylic boxes.

That didn't mean to sound rude, sorry if it does.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

Word of advice - don't use pilljars to raise Avics. More often than not, people get dead slings using those. Not enough ventilation for an Avic in there...

cold blood

Staff member
+1 Storm...pill jars, or vials are a VERY poor place for an avic sling. A deli cup is a far better place.

o0 Mr Ed 0o

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Word of advice - don't use pilljars to raise Avics. More often than not, people get dead slings using those. Not enough ventilation for an Avic in there...
I didn't have a problem with my last versi sling in a pill jar. I had plety of cross ventilation and it seemed happy until it became to big for it. Maybe i was just lucky. uploadfromtaptalk1436218295829.jpg

Thanks for the links I will check them out. [emoji4]

cold blood

Staff member
That's literally the first vial I've ever seen that had vent holes drilled...A deli cup is still a better place IMO, but that doesn't look quite like the death trap I pictured. The extra room will help, plus you can put in some real vertical structure, like a piece of wood or bark, which is lacking in the vial. With less room in the vial, its also easier for the t to web both the vent holes as well as the lid.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had holes drilled into vials when I first got 2 A.Versicolors, one was dead within a week. Moved it's sibling into a 32oz deli and is now a healthy 4 inch female. I agree with Cold Blood and Storm, I just wouldn't trust vials with Avics, they're too sensitive to too much humidity.

o0 Mr Ed 0o

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Advice noted, I will move them up to a 32oz deli cup. Any advice on potting soil to vermiculite ratio, in the deli cup? Also found some nice acrylic enclosures thanks to sturmy.

cold blood

Staff member
I've never seen a reason to add vermiculite. If I add anything to the soil , its a little bit of sand I mix in to keep it smooth.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Plus, Avics don't need more than 1" - 2" of substrate. True arboreals that don't dig at all. Although a few use dirt to incorporate into their webbing. Waterbottle cap as waterdish, if need be a spritz into the webbing once per week and they'll be just fine with enough ventilation.

Use a somewhat oversized waterdish once adult to provide ample humidity and you generally don't even have to mist their webbing anymore.

Good luck with your Avics. Sweet and easy to raise and gorgeous once adult if you'd ask me.