Sassy schioedtei

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My 2.5" C. schioedtei, Charlemagne, threat poses me practically every time I walk by her enclosure! But only me, not anyone else. It cracks me up, but I feel bad that I'm obviously disturbing or frustrating her... Has anyone else had similar experiences with this or any other species? If so, is there anything I can possibly do to irritate her less? Nothing/no one else seems to set her off lol...

Last edited:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Either airflow or vibration. I suspect the latter - put her enclosure somewhere else where she doesn't get disturbed that much. Should fix it if she's that sensitive and the others ignore you.

scott308

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My C. schioedtei is a little smaller than that, and has a tendency to stay underground still, so I can't help you. My reason for posting really is this: I used to have an emperor scorpion that I named Charlemagne.

cold blood

Staff member
Either airflow or vibration. I suspect the latter - put her enclosure somewhere else where she doesn't get disturbed that much. Should fix it if she's that sensitive and the others ignore you.
+1

Airflow has a big impact. I am regularly leaning over enclosures and very often the slight air of breathing out of my nose onto the lid of a deli cup is met with either a strike against the lid or a straight up threat posture. I have a pair of 2"ish A. ezendami that do it all the time, in fact just about an hour ago. My pokies tend to slam the lid at the slightest bit of breeze directed down. Heck, I've got threat postures from versicolor and urticans.

My schieodtei is always in its web home...I see the front half when its hungry....never once any threat posture.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Oddly enough, none of mine strike when they sense me breathing. They either curl up or bolt into their hides, but my 1'' M. balfouri strikes at everything that bugs it. Little bugger strikes pens without any hesitation.

+1 to the above posts. I would suspect vibration as well.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
With a secure hide, they shouldn't do that. Cyriopagopus are reclusive by nature. Have you sexed yours, or is the name optimistic?

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here's a pic of her enclosure:

--J.Haas

---------- Post added 07-07-2015 at 12:04 PM ----------

Charlemagne has a little underground web tunnel... You can see the hole above... but she threat poses inside of it at me, but only me. Not other people, not music, once or twice I've seen her threat at the flash when I've taken pictures, but only when I take the pic, not when anyone else takes a pic. Haven't sexed her yet (I say "her" as wishful thinking)... I thought the name could go either way depending on whether she turns out to be male or female.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
I don't know what you were thinking rubbing in the fact you have a C. Schioedtei. Although I really want C. sp. Sumatran Tiger, I am real jealous of your little Charlemagne. My guess is that if these species were not so reclusive, they might rival Poecilotheria in popularity....love the tiger striping and contrasting carapace color. They look like a tough spider!

cold blood

Staff member
Here's a pic of her enclosure:

--J.Haas

---------- Post added 07-07-2015 at 12:04 PM ----------

Charlemagne has a little underground web tunnel... You can see the hole above... but she threat poses inside of it at me, but only me. Not other people, not music, once or twice I've seen her threat at the flash when I've taken pictures, but only when I take the pic, not when anyone else takes a pic. Haven't sexed her yet (I say "her" as wishful thinking)... I thought the name could go either way depending on whether she turns out to be male or female.
2 things I would change...first I would place a piece of wood or bark and lean it against the glass, just beneath the plant, but above the burrow hole. This will add to its security as it will be able to web the area outside its web, it currently has very little anchor points to work with by its burrow....I would expect to see a lot more webbing than your has so far....mine webs like a Psalm. Second thing would be to add moisture to the sub, it looks really dry, they do better with moist substrate, like most Asian arboreals.

I agree with the previous assessment that these SHOULD be much more popular as they are one of the best looking species I have ever seen...my opinion:wink:

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't know what you were thinking rubbing in the fact you have a C. Schioedtei. Although I really want C. sp. Sumatran Tiger, I am real jealous of your little Charlemagne. My guess is that if these species were not so reclusive, they might rival Poecilotheria in popularity....love the tiger striping and contrasting carapace color. They look like a tough spider!
Chartreuse is my favorite color and that's relatively the color her carapace will become! I love the contrast too... I'm pretty sure I got mine from jrs inverts for a really decent price and he always packs the spiders wonderfully and send the packages right on time and gives freebies!! You should get one! I love my little spawn!

---------- Post added 07-07-2015 at 07:27 PM ----------

2 things I would change...first I would place a piece of wood or bark and lean it against the glass, just beneath the plant, but above the burrow hole. This will add to its security as it will be able to web the area outside its web, it currently has very little anchor points to work with by its burrow....I would expect to see a lot more webbing than your has so far....mine webs like a Psalm. Second thing would be to add moisture to the sub, it looks really dry, they do better with moist substrate, like most Asian arboreals.

I agree with the previous assessment that these SHOULD be much more popular as they are one of the best looking species I have ever seen...my opinion:wink:
Thanks cb, I will moisten her up right now! :). But there are actually wood pieces and sticks on the opposite side of the enclosure where the other opening to her burrow is that you cannot see in the picture and she hasn't used them yet to web, just made her little burrow tunnel... Perhaps I'll add another piece of cork board just in case.

Last edited:

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Mrshaas, I will have some soon enough!!!! Better yet, not soon enough but certainly one of my next targets! I am gonna focus on getting my little spiderling baboons grown up out of the fragile stage they are in now...sooooo tiny. I always worry about them at this size!

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mrshaas, I will have some soon enough!!!! Better yet, not soon enough but certainly one of my next targets! I am gonna focus on getting my little spiderling baboons grown up out of the fragile stage they are in now...sooooo tiny. I always worry about them at this size!
Good luck with your babies!! Nothing cuter than eggs w legs lol... How big are they and what's pieces of baboon?