A. Geniculata

tarantulabit

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone! This has been a really sad past two days for us...our A. Geniculata has been in kind of this death curl. . I can practically pick her up with my forks with barely any movement from her. She's been been drinking a lot of water, and that was the first place I found her like that. She actually was sitting in the same position and she let me pick her up out of her water bowl with the tongs with very little movement. I was of course expecting a strike or action but no. And she's skinnier than ever, refuses to eat and didn't molt at her normal time this year. She's been a really wonderful spider and I know that she was at least five when I got her...and we've had her for at LEAST eight years...she appears to be dying to myself and I don't want her to have to be in pain. Here is a couple of pics of her...I was considering putting her in the freezer..but could she be in pre-molt???? Any thoughts/suggestions??

MrDave

Arachnosquire
I'm not going to be able to offer you much help but I'd guess its actual age might be a key question. You said you had it for 8 years - any idea how old it was when you got it?

Until someone knowledgeable comes along, I'd suggest keeping water available, and no freezers just yet. I sure hope it pulls through.

Edit: Read the post 3 times before seeing the age when she got it. Gonna go make more coffee.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The abdomen's small. Does it have a full water bowl? The bowl should be sunk in the substrate, so it's easier to drink from.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Could be her time, she's obviously dehydrated, provide a full large waterbowl and put her near it, you can even place some of her legs in it so she knows there's water, and try offering pre-killed prey. Hopefully she pulls through.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She mentioned she's been drinking heavy amounts of water (or trying). She even picked her up out of the dish. I don't think there is a problem with dehydration, unless there is some kind of blockage in the chelicerae which is causing no water to get in. I'd gently flip her over and look under her. Other than that, as cold mentioned, 13 years is quite a long time for a T. If age is the case, I bet she had the best care taker ever. We have a stirmi female who is pushing 8 or 9 years, it'll be a sad day when she goes. I has a smithi live 17 years though, so who knows.

Best of luck with her and you!

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
If you don't really know how old she was when you got her I'm guessing it's probably just her slowing down and succumbing to that which we call life.

Condolences, had to put down my eight year old bunny about two weeks back. Regardless of it being "just a spider" you've been caring for it for a long time and attachments happen.

Oreo

Arachnocookie
OP, sorry to hear about your T. Do you notice any blockage or build-up near her spinnerets? Also you may try an ICU and dropping water directly on her mouthparts to make sure she is drinking.

pepey05

Arachnopeon
So sorry my friend, my A genic is my favourite of my T's. Hope whatever happens you must take heart that you have cared for her the best you could.

tarantulabit

Arachnopeon
At least 13 years? Probably just its time.
I lost her on my birthday...totally sucked!! But I appreciate your at least kind response!! I got her from Ben from Joplin, MO...Used to have him as a buddy on here. Forgot his user name for Arachnoboards...
He had a REALLY BAD reaction to his New World Ts urticating hairs...like ended up in the hospital...anyway, so I got her real quick was wanting to help him! Fell in love with HER and didn't ask vital questions. Yes...my fault. He was going ALL old world. Anyway, I got some new babies...And a first old world P. Subfusca female juvenile, highland. I know, crazy to start new world with a Pokie...But my Geniculata was my 3rd T and quick! So...I will make it! I HOPE!!

Anyway, got a question for you!! Looking for a juvenile female Nhandu Carapoensis!! Any ideas where I might find one??? I put out a post about it and got 0 answers!! Probably because I have a new username and didn't get my profile finished with and NOW it won't let me edit it OR I just don't know tapatalk very well!! Almost liked their website better...
Anyway, thanks for your time! And help!!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added 08-20-2015 at 11:36 PM ----------

She mentioned she's been drinking heavy amounts of water (or trying). She even picked her up out of the dish. I don't think there is a problem with dehydration, unless there is some kind of blockage in the chelicerae which is causing no water to get in. I'd gently flip her over and look under her. Other than that, as cold mentioned, 13 years is quite a long time for a T. If age is the case, I bet she had the best care taker ever. We have a stirmi female who is pushing 8 or 9 years, it'll be a sad day when she goes. I has a smithi live 17 years though, so who knows.

Best of luck with her and you!
Thank you SO much! Yes, her abdomen had NEVER BEEN that small!! And she didn't molt at around her time. She really was great!! She died on my birthday..

---------- Post added 08-20-2015 at 11:42 PM ----------

If you read his first post he says she drinks lots of water and refuse to eat so he already does provide those.
Thank you! Skinnier than she had EVER BEEN....But yeah...her time. Lost her on my birthday...

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Sorry about your loss - there's only one remedy coming to mind: Get a new one asap!