Whats your Lasiodora size ??

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
My 7" Female molted this month. I was wondering what size your adult female's were , of which species.
My LP is currently my largest T. Pokies are next in legspan, or phamphos. A Brock is smaller now.
My female LP is about 8" , my LD is 6" so far not full grown. Klugi is still about 3-4" little baby :o_O:. I have more but I am not sure of there sex.

Last edited:

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
alas both my sexed fm and susp male lasis [fm lp male ld] are pushing 4-4.5" after about almost a yr... even my brachies have grown just as fast lmao... my largest is a fm gbb at 5+ and genic fm at 5ish folowed by a irminia pen male pushing 5 as well [ofc no idea on real size because of his hide]

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I intended on this to be a survey on how big These Ts get .:biggrin:

WHats your largest ?LP

Last edited:

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
my L.P. is well over 12" and is no where near as aggressive or skittish as a T.blondi!

lol im kidding mine are just about 1.5" but the above statement is what I was being told when trying to decide on a first T and why I headed to the expo in the first place, I was also told they were one of the fastest growing T's in the world and could hit 4" their first year. my B.vagans grew way faster. I bought 4- 2nd instar L.p.'s. all four could have sat on my thumbnail together comfortably, now nine months later they are still tiny.
AND my non aggressive L.p.'s are absolutely my most aggressive NW T's.

Their whole life is a lie!

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
I have a 6" female, and a 3.5" LD (unsexed). Then I have about 50 1" slings.

I used to have a 7.5" female, but sold her off when I moved. The biggest one I've seen in person is 8.5".

MrDave

Arachnosquire
I have 3 LPs which I got at the end of Aug last year, so a couple weeks short of 11 months ago. They were listed as 1/4 slings, but really a bit bigger. The 3rd just molted today, and if they aren't 4 inches now, they're pretty close. I chose them after reading how big they got, how fast they'd grow, and that they'd always be out and about doing something. All very true, except 'up to 11 inches!' is now understood to be a huge exaggeration. Whatever size they reach will be fine. They're awesome.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
My AF maxed out at 7", which I suspect falls within the norm. I'm sure some hit 8". But there's at least 10 genera with species that get 8", so the fascination with LP's for size is kind of ridiculous. What better way for a dealer to sell LP slings than by enhancing the adult size.

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
My AF maxed out at 7", which I suspect falls within the norm. I'm sure some hit 8". But there's at least 10 genera with species that get 8", so the fascination with LP's for size is kind of ridiculous. What better way for a dealer to sell LP slings than by enhancing the adult size.
That was actually the reason I bought mine back in 2004, it was listed as 10-12" as an adult, lol. When it only got to 7.5" after 5 years, I thought I did something wrong (well, turns out I did plenty wrong back then, but it still reached its full size). Looking back, its amazing what's available today that was just a pipe dream 10 years ago.

gobey

Arachnoknight
A sore subject.

My biggest was 5.5 inches. And my favorite tarantula. But he died right after molting.

His sister however is 4.5" and she's been in pre molt for like 6 months now. Literally she's eaten 2 crickets since about February.

She was in her hide today. I'm hoping to molt and make some gainz. ;)

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I wonder if specimens with more mice, roaches or big food items get bigger. Id power-feed my big species , to get them big.

Last edited:

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I wonder if specimens with more mice, roaches or big food items get bigger. Id power-feed my big species , to get them big.
mine only get roaches i dont use crix :p roaches size of abd sometimes a lil bigger ;) still small after a yr lmao

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Tarantulas keep growing throughout their lives, although it slows down. I don't know that a lot of food makes them bigger in the long run or just gets them there faster.

---------- Post added 07-12-2015 at 05:44 AM ----------

That was actually the reason I bought mine back in 2004, it was listed as 10-12" as an adult, lol. When it only got to 7.5" after 5 years, I thought I did something wrong (well, turns out I did plenty wrong back then, but it still reached its full size).
I have w/c adult stirmi; they're 9-10" and growth is stopped (MM's) or slowed (AF's). Theraphosa are easily the biggest spiders, so 10-12" for LP's is hard to believe. It's a marketing tactic and it's worked well. A 7-8" tarantula is impressive regardless.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was told my Sulawesi Blk would get 10 in but I'm unsure if this is true . Does anyone have an AF Sulawesi that big ?

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I have w/c adult stirmi; they're 9-10" and growth is stopped (MM's) or slowed (AF's). Theraphosa are easily the biggest spiders, so 10-12" for LP's is hard to believe. It's a marketing tactic and it's worked well. A 7-8" tarantula is impressive regardless.
you can say that again. a buddy has a ~8" klugi and god..makes me wish my genic would grow faster XD

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I have to admit I have a particular fascination with large bodied terrestrials. my mature male LD hooked out at roughly 8.5 inches. He's sold and getting shipped Tuesday if the buyer doesn't back out. I want a T. stirmi but I'm hesitant because of the humidity needs of the genera. Something about these big tank looking species. I wish my GBBs could get that big!!

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
my mature male LD hooked out at roughly 8.5 inches. He's sold and getting shipped Tuesday if the buyer doesn't back out. I want a T. stirmi but I'm hesitant because of the humidity needs of the genera. Something about these big tank looking species. I wish my GBBs could get that big!!
1) Wow on LP size -- sounds like he's got an excellent chance at his pairing -- hope buyer won't back out -- sounds like good genes to pass along.
2) My issue too with T stirmi is humidity, I am afraid I will breed mites or fungus or something. My newbiness will continue to hold me back on that one.
3) Agree with GBBs. Mine is certainly a fave here. So gorgeous!

cold blood

Staff member
Tarantulas keep growing throughout their lives, although it slows down. I don't know that a lot of food makes them bigger in the long run or just gets them there faster.
My understanding is that a more abundant food supply when young does help a t maximize its size. This is a quip from arachnologist Sam Marshall on the subject of feeding and its relationship to ultimate size:

"...you cannot over-feed a growing spider. In fact, the more you feed a young tarantula, the faster and LARGER it will grow."

MrDave

Arachnosquire
My understanding is that a more abundant food supply when young does help a t maximize its size. This is a quip from arachnologist Sam Marshall on the subject of feeding and its relationship to ultimate size:

"...you cannot over-feed a growing spider. In fact, the more you feed a young tarantula, the faster and LARGER it will grow."
Its been 6 hours! Better go feed my LPs again!

JK, but I'm glad to hear that. I do feed my LPs more than many others do, from what I've read. Would love to post pics of a record setting LP.