What is this thing my Tarantula made? (Pictures inside)

sheepyweepy

Arachnopeon
My little buddy made this white thing and I'm not sure what it is. If anyone knows, that'll help. Thank you!

IMG_2450.jpg
IMG_2448.jpg
IMG_2445.jpg

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You have yourself an eggsac!
To know if it's fertile or not, has she molted any time in your care? If she has and you haven't purposefully mated her, the sac will be infertile. If she is wild caught and never molted, there is the chance that it could be fertile and you will have a few hundred little babies.

I'll take them if you don't want them haha ;)

sheepyweepy

Arachnopeon
Holy-moley!

She was wild-caught and we've had her for about two months. She hasn't molted yet so we were unsure of the sex of the tarantula.

Reality is starting to catch up with me. I'm gonna go research stuff about eggsacs and such. Thank you klawfran3!!!!

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
It's easier to know the species than the sex when it never molted in your care. Not everyone can sex ventrally or even make it a priority to know.

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
100 percent Female haha congadulations hope the sack is fertile and you get plenty of little slings.

sheepyweepy

Arachnopeon
I believe this is a Texas Brown tarantula- seeing how I live in Texas, it was found in the wild and it sure looks like what's on the wikipedia page.

This is like the worst way to find out my tarantula is female. I mean this is cool, but I'm a minimalist in the hobby. No spiderlings, no breeding, no crazy. Just a sit-in-the-box-and-I-will-feed-and-water-you.

But on the other hand, I'm really excited for this. It's a new experience and I find this all very fascinating!!!!

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Most likely an Aphonopelma hentzi, but Texas is a huge state with several described species. What part of Texas was it collected? North Texas, south, central (Austin area), etc?

Two months ago in May is the beginning of the summer mating season for our local tarantulas. It's more than likely fertile. Rearing the babies is fairly easy. Even if you were to hatch the eggs and didn't want to keep the babies, you could release them in the same area the female was caught. If you go that route, I suggest at night in a spot with a lot of vegatative cover. The temperatures are reaching 100 degrees during the day and you would need to give the babies a good starting chance.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
The lil lady was found in North Texas, north of Dallas.
Fantastic! Another Dallas area tarantula find. It would definitely be Aphonopelma hentzi and it sure is following the "reproduction schedule" of north Texas populations. If all goes to plan than you can expect the babies to be ready to go by the end of August or beginning of September.

Could you PM the city you found it in? I'm trying to keep tabs on first hand tarantula sightings from the Dallas area. The populations around Dallas are so spotty. Unless it from the rural towns far north of Dallas like Van Alstyne, Sherman, or somewhere around there.

sheepyweepy

Arachnopeon
I actually feel like an expecting mother. I'm reading all this stuff about spiderlings and watching videos, as a female I am exhibiting "nesting" behaviors and cleaning the place for my future slings. It's all very exciting!!! I will totally post pictures with what happens.

MrDave

Arachnosquire
I actually feel like an expecting mother. I'm reading all this stuff about spiderlings and watching videos, as a female I am exhibiting "nesting" behaviors and cleaning the place for my future slings. It's all very exciting!!! I will totally post pictures with what happens.
Aren't you worried about having so many diapers to change?

Seriously, though, I'm fairly envious and looking forward to hearing how it turns out.