Cleaning sling cages to prevent mites?

Dreamlander

Arachnopeon
Hi, I recently ordered some slings. A. Geniculata- 1", LP-1/2", B. Albiceps- 1", A. Ezendami -3/4", and Avic V. -1". They all seem to be doing great in 16 oz deli containers with lots of holes and coco substrate. The B. Albiceps spends most of its time in its burrow, but it emerged today with some dark specks on its abdomen. Fat abdomen I might add, I think it will molt soon. Well this got me thinking "what do mites look like?" So I started reading about mites and I see a lot "clean cage" for prevention. Not sure what this means. I remove uneaten crickets, but I can't find remains of eaten crickets. Also have had prekilled crickets disappear down burrows l, so I won't be seeing those. This morning I actually found the avic on the ground eating a cricket that had been in its web for 3 days.
so how do you clean your T enclosure?

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Spot clean whenever you see something to clean. Remove uneaten food after 24 hours and no later. Make sure your enclosures ( especially the ones that stay humid) are extremely well ventilated so that the air doesn't become stale. When misting/ adding water, allow the substrate to dry (atleast mostly) before adding more water. This does not apply to moisture dependent species. I also tend to use my sense of smell... When I open the enclosures, I smell them (Be careful and don't stick your nose in the enclosure lol.) If the enclosure smells like something is rotting and you can't find it... Look harder....if you still can't find it... Remove the T and replace the substrate entirely.

Dreamlander

Arachnopeon
Thanks, sounds like what I am trying to do. On a side note the Augacephalus ezendami burrowed down the first night and I have not seen it for a week. Do you wait to feed these borrowing types until they come out for food? Or should I just toss in the cricket or roach and pull it the next day if I still see it?

Last edited:

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
Burrowing species will stick out the tip of their front legs outside of their burrow when they're looking for food so I wait until I see this to feed them, that way I'm sure I won't be introducing a prey while they're molting and considerably reduce the times I have to remove uneaten items.

cold blood

Staff member
Thanks, sounds like what I am trying to do. On a side note the Augacephalus ezendami burrowed down the first night and I have not seen it for a week. Do you wait to feed these borrowing types until they come out for food? Or should I just toss in the cricket or roach anf pull it the next day if I syill see it?
I leave pre-killed prey at the burrow mouth...if its still there the next day, it gets removed and the process repeated in a few days. Ezendami can be picky eaters, especially when small.