Damon diadema baby questions

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So....after FIVE months and one day, my Damon diadema eggs have finally hatched, I have the mom in an Exo Terra tank, 12x12x18 to be exact. I am wondering, should I keep the babies with her in there or move them into the Exo Terra Nano tank I have? It's an 8x8x12. I plan on selling the majority of the babies but...what should I do in the mean time?

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Also...how would I go about shipping them? I have someone wanting 10...what is the easiest way to ship that many?

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
Don't know much about separating them from mom, but I would think you could jam a piece of bark into a shippable deli cup, maybe even hot glue it. These guys stick to bark very very well. In Orin's book, he suggests that they aren't very sturdy on most textures, but they'll hold onto bark fairly well.

Of course, you'll want someone actually experienced in this area to chime in as well. I'm just excited for you, and want to post something in the realm of helpful. :)

BUCKETS OF GRATS, TO YOU AND YOUR BABIES!

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thank you :)

I think I am just gonna leave the ones I keep with the mom...this is going to be difficult deciding how many I keep! I hope that is a safe way to do it, because that'll make shipping really easy lol.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've shipped little ones in small deli cups lined with paper towel and with a small paper towel ball in the middle and I haven't had any problems. Mine weren't fresh off of mom's back though (2 molts in I believe?), so they were a bit more hardy. Alternatively, you could probably use medicine vials lined with paper towels. Enjoy! :)

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've shipped little ones in small deli cups lined with paper towel and with a small paper towel ball in the middle and I haven't had any problems. Mine weren't fresh off of mom's back though (2 molts in I believe?), so they were a bit more hardy. Alternatively, you could probably use medicine vials lined with paper towels. Enjoy! :)
The paper towel method is how I received mine, and all arrived in great condition.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Got another question, figured I would just post here instead of making another thread but I just had this thought...
If you have a communal of D. diadema...when the babies get older, won't they mate with their siblings? Is that fine?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Siblings mating should be fine. I don't think they'll have any problems unless you have siblings mating for several generations.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Another question, ok, today, they left the moms back...when do they start feeding?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I would give them a couple day, maybe a week and then put something in there for them. If they decide they're hungry they'll jump right on it.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I tossed in some new born lats, they haven't ate yet but...they'll be hungry soon!

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Sometimes it takes them a few days to harden up and feel comfortable with food. Just make sure they have good humidity and they'll eat when they're ready. Something to keep in mind with the little ones is that they're fairly specific when it comes to food size. Too big and they'll be scared of it, too small and they'll just ignore it. I try to go for food items around the size of the prosoma.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks for the information :D
I saw a video of them eating prey MUCH larger then what I have in there now so they should eat it when they want.