My mantis thread

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
In my desperate attempt to have the most likes and thanks I've started another thread. I don't keep many mantis, but always seem to have one or two around. This thread will show off some old stuff that I've had and new ones as they come in :)

Popa spurca

Creobroter pictipennis

Metallyticus violaceus ( the most I've ever spent on a mantis )

Metallyticus violaceus

Later, Tom

Last edited:

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Awesome stuff, Tom! Dare I ask how much the M. violaceus set you back?

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Awesome stuff, Tom! Dare I ask how much the M. violaceus set you back?
It was $100. At least that was expensive for my mantis standards. I've never seen a mantis with a triple digit price tag. Makes me wonder what the most expansive mantis is in the hobby :? The guy that sold it to me thought I was a idiot for buying something that I cant breed (because it was probably the only one in the states) for 100 bucks lol. I pretty much paid the $ just so I could get pics of a cool bug. That's what I like to do ;)

Later, Tom

Last edited:

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It was $100. At least that was expensive for my mantis standards. I've never seen a mantis with a triple digit price tag. Makes me wonder what the most expansive mantis is in the hobby :? The guy that sold it to me thought I was a idiot for buying something that I cant breed (because it was probably the only one in the states) for 100 bucks lol. I pretty much paid the $ just so I could get pics of a cool bug. That's what I like to do ;)

Later, Tom
Good lord lol. That's expensive for my mantis standards too. I try not to pay more than $30 for a mantis if possible. I had originally thought that I. diabolica or H. coronatus were the most expensive, but I guess I'd really never seen M. violaceus available in the US. You definitely got some great shots of it! :)

Liverwort

Arachnopeon
Wow, I only just took notice of those GIANT femur spurs. Also beautiful mantids! I might be in line for M. splendidus soon.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Idolomantis diabolica

Phyllocrania paradoxa

Hierodula patellifera

Later, Tom

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
Breathtaking.. I love them all.. To think I was happy with two Otha I found outside! Would you be kind enough to pm me where you may have got then from, please excuse me while I wipe the drool off my face.

Liverwort

Arachnopeon
A PM isn't really necessary. All of these species except for M. violaceus are common in the US mantid hobby. Look on classifieds on Mantidforum, mantisplace.com (although extremely overpriced and doesn't actually give details on instar), mantispets.com, and especially facebook. Yeah, nearly all people sell mantids on facebook solely.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Mine are from a local guy, I don't think he has a website.

Gongylus gongylodes

Later, Tom

MantidMaster

Arachnophile
Old Timer
Nice Mantids. They all look sweet, and the camp of your popa spurca tricked me into thinking it was a stick for about 5 seconds..... anyways, neat mantids!!!

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
What a collection! And great camerawork, too. I just want to say I hope someone else with M. violaceus finds you soon, haha.
Keep the pics coming. I could (take that back: I do) look at mantids all day!

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Choeradodis sp."Costa Rica"

Litaneutria sp." Tuscon Arizona"

Later, Tom

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Wow, I didn't think any of the Choeradodis sp were in the US hobby! Beautiful! :)

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It's so cool that you can see how closely related mantids are to roaches with the M. violaceus. Almost looks like a predatory cockroach!

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Oh man, that pic of the Gongylus is awesome! One of my favorite mantids (that I've never kept lol)!

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Humbertiella sp." China" adult

Humbertiella sp." China" sub adult

Later, Tom