Cleaning Hard Water / Calcium Stains???

DETHCHEEZ

Arachnosquire
What's the best thing to use to clean Hard Water / Calcium stains off a glass aquarium???

Is CLR safe???
You can use to clean coffee pots

I have a tank that's been outside / Used to propagate plants in etc. & so on
&
It has some Seriously Major stains

I already tried dish soap vinegar & rubbing alcohol
But none of them even made a dent

Want to use the tank for a centipede so it has to be something safe

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Thanx.....

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
well vinegar works it takes a wiel.. sometimes you have to let it sit on the spot for a wiel [or on sponge over area] . i know for a fact however you say its an aquarium and wont come out. so its very possibly water ETCHED which means you'll need a single sided razor blade...

o0 Mr Ed 0o

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A decorators paint stripper would be suitable to get the worst of it off. They have a decent length handle and a 4" blade pyros suggestion with the vinegar is a good one. A bit of elbow grease also.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Acids, as vinegar, acetic acid, will slowly dissolve calcium. Upping the strength of the acid makes it dissolve faster. Just keep in mind it takes time. A thick calcium deposit and household vinegar can take dozens of applications to fully dissolve. Glacial Acetic acid vs a thin calcium film would dissolve in a few minutes to a half hour. You can also use oxalic acid.

BEWARE of scrubbing. Calcium crystals make a superb abrasive. You may not even notice them in a solution as an acid bath but the glass will get severely crazed.

Last edited:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Agree with vinegar (seems safest) but I find it works more effectively (longer) if you saturate a cloth with vinegar and place over the area. May have to do each enclosure side for a night -- saturated cloth allows vinegar to sit on area much longer sans evaporation.

Every time I try scrubbing something, I usually scratch it.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Agree with vinegar (seems safest) but I find it works more effectively (longer) if you saturate a cloth with vinegar and place over the area. May have to do each enclosure side for a night -- saturated cloth allows vinegar to sit on area much longer sans evaporation.

Every time I try scrubbing something, I usually scratch it.
Good idea. Also prevents that garbage residue if the acid dries. Best is to give the glass a bath but that's out of the question with an aquarium. Also using a hose-water jet to rinse instead of wiping.

DETHCHEEZ

Arachnosquire
Thanx For The Replies
Appreciate It

But just finished buying everything I needed & getting the lid made & all & was antsy to get every thing together & set up / Sure you all know how that goes / LOL
Could have probably done a better job on cleaning the tank but did at least good enough job to make me happy

Have some pics of the tank posted at
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...namese-Pedes-New-Set-Up&p=2394500#post2394500

Thanx Again

---------- Post added 07-15-2015 at 11:52 PM ----------

Thanx For The Replies
Appreciate It

But just finished buying everything I needed & getting the lid made & all & was antsy to get every thing together & set up / Sure you all know how that goes / LOL
Could have probably done a better job on cleaning the tank but did at least good enough job to make me happy

Have some pics of the tank posted at
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...namese-Pedes-New-Set-Up&p=2394500#post2394500

Thanx Again