Hermit Crabs in Puerto Rico

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I happened to be in Puerto Rico for a few days last week. The most memorable moment of the trip was when I spotted a land hermit crab, Coenobita clypeatus, on a rock wall behind the hotel. After that I proceeded to find about a hundred more hermit crabs of all sizes. They were climbing all over the long volcanic rock wall, on palm trees, and scrambling across the lawn of the hotel. I sat and watched them for at least an hour or so. Neat little critters! The pictures were taken in the dark so they didn't come out fantastic. Here is a loner climbing a vertical surface. I never realized what fantastic climbers they are!

Attachments

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Here is another picture of three crabs together. I did not pose them. They were sitting like this when I found them. The crabs did not seem to mind each others company for the most part. I often found them in loose groups of three or more crabs. I'm not sure if this is coincidental or if they just prefer to congregate together. Many times they were in groups like this one where breeding appears to be out of the question due to their size differences. Other groups consisted of animals of similar size. At times a crab would encounter another and climb over it as if it were just a piece of the landscape.

ps - I know these are not vertebrates, but I figured they would fit into this forum better than the insect forum.

Attachments

Last edited:

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
WOW!!
Totally awesome! I love Hermies. I still have 2 I rescued from Petdeath, almost 2 years ago. They'll be moving to my Red tail's tank, when I get rid of him. I have such plans for that tank. It'll be the perfect Hermit Crab habitat.
Peace, light & eternal love..
Gillian
)0(

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They are great little critters. Seeing them in the wild gave me a whole new appreciation for them. It sounds like your crabs will have a great setup soon. Have fun with the cage. Setting up habitats is half the fun of having a pet like that. Put a big piece of lava rock in there and watch them scale it with ease.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's unfortunate that hermit crabs have been unable to shake the "disposable" pet stigma. They can live for decades if cared for correctly. Even the better pet stores sell those crappy little kits with a small critter keeper, colored gravel, and a scallop shell dish, all of which insures a slow death.

I keep mine in a 20-gallon high aquarium with about six inches of sand, kept slightly moist, They have two large water dishes to chose from, one with fresh water and the other with brackish. Having consatant access to water that's at least deep enough to cover them halfway is critical, as crustaceans their gills must always be kept moist.

A deep substrate that they can burrow in is also important, especially when they need to molt.

The insect forum is called "Insects and Other Invertebrates", so hermit crabs definately qualify to be discussed there :)

Wade