Random items for Ts to climb on , hides etc???

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
What do you suggest , other then tree bark , for Ts to climb on ?? Homaid stuff ? stuff for Ts to play with??
Random household items, etc.... anything ?

thanks ,
ultu:photogenic:

This perhaps could be a good T care thread too , as far as hides.
List endless hide ideas, since Ts love to feel safe .

Last edited:

El Consciente

Arachnopeon
I have taken a liking to various aquarium decorations provided they don't have sharp edges or otherwise present any risk to the T...I've recently bought this large Buddha statue from a pet store and and placed it in the center of my P. regalis enclosure. He loves using it as an anchor point!

However I'd be remiss if I neglected to advise against placing anything near the edges of the tank, using artificial plants treated with dyes, anything top-heavy that could fall and crush a T or cause a cave-in on a burrower, using anything found outside without treating them for fungal spores first, etc...

Last edited:

Chris11

ArachnoBat
I like the buddah statue idea ^^ I prefer the natural look over anything with something odd ever so often.... my lp sling has an artificial alligator skull for a hide. He retreats back into it with his prey items :)

cold blood

Staff member
I have basically an unlimited amount of wonderful drift wood at my disposal. I search for those pieces with the most "character" or functionality.

I keep them out in the sun for extended periods of time, then when I'm ready to use them, I scrape all smooth places with a knife and scrub the deeper grooves in the bark and wash the whole thing in hot water as well as I can. Then they go in the oven at 276-300 for 30-45 minutes. Once they've cooled, I use them in enclosures.

I used to use most of my wood from the woods, which I treated the same, and learned that great looking bark pieces that were too "fresh", would mold constantly and quickly, but old wood that was rotted almost never molds. The driftwood, however, I have yet to have a single issue with, even in moist enclosures, and much of it has a bark outside, with deeper grooves that look even better.

Attachments

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I think nothing except for cork bark and fake leaves for let heavy webbers anchor their web. The less inside some enclosure, for me, the better.

Abby79

Arachnopeon
Oasis foam is cool stuff to use, i carve it into a burrow and the T modifys it. I make one entrance and let them decide on the back door. can get a little messy. I just spoon out the mess they make.

Sana

Arachnoprince
My favorite natural decorative item that I have ever seen in a tarantula enclosure is a cactus spine that someone used in the southwestern US. I use driftwood pieces that same as CB a lot. I've also used old plastic butter containers with a couple entrances cut into them as hides. They can be decorated with anything that you want though in general mine a partially or completely submerged in the substrate and cover in fake plant leaves and junk like that. I have a preference for the natural look. On the other hand, I'm working on an arboreal enclosure that will contain a doll sized wicker chair as the primary hide and lots of plants. It's being referred to in my house as the secret garden terrarium. If I ever finish it I'll post pictures.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
My favorite natural decorative item that I have ever seen in a tarantula enclosure is a cactus spine that someone used in the southwestern US. I use driftwood pieces that same as CB a lot. I've also used old plastic butter containers with a couple entrances cut into them as hides. They can be decorated with anything that you want though in general mine a partially or completely submerged in the substrate and cover in fake plant leaves and junk like that. I have a preference for the natural look. On the other hand, I'm working on an arboreal enclosure that will contain a doll sized wicker chair as the primary hide and lots of plants. It's being referred to in my house as the secret garden terrarium. If I ever finish it I'll post pictures.
Now THAT sounds interesting o_O id love to see thatone

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
SO far I used small half logs/ tree bark and stuff, and a lot of small peices of wood. I have yet to buy any cork bark its too pricey.
I need to buy a HD camera , I got no way to take pics of any of my cages. They are set up a lot better now.:biggrin:

What does everyone else use?

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Boring, mine just get a hide, greenery, and a water dish (large Ts also get a ping-pong ball). I see such wonderful ideas over in Vivariums and Terrariums. I bought some cholla wood/cactus spines but ended up using them for decorating my own home, not the Ts.

Last edited:

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Boring, mine just get a hide, greenery, and a water dish (large Ts also get a ping-pong ball). I see such wonderful ideas over in Vivariums and Terrariums. I bought some cholla wood/cactus spines but ended up using them for decorating my own home, not the Ts.
Lol if you lived closer id give you more i bought "one dozen 6in peices" guy said for 10 bucks hell fit all he can in a box as he was getting out of the fish hobby i have so much in one tank its silly.. And my bristle nose plecos, shrimp jore cray seem to like it.. They like eating the moss i attatched to it tho -.- lolol

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Truly I bought the cholla wood for the Ts -- honest. But I had this wire basket, put the pieces in it and it made a lovely centerpiece. Ts ain't getting my cactus spines to poop all over and web up with dirt, sorry.
I am considering giving them some driftwood.... but if driftwood turns out to also look lovely in a basket, well, I'm not making any promises they will the driftwood either. lol

Ellen <---- apparently a very selfish person

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Truly I bought the cholla wood for the Ts -- honest. But I had this wire basket, put the pieces in it and it made a lovely centerpiece. Ts ain't getting my cactus spines to poop all over and web up with dirt, sorry.
I am considering giving them some driftwood.... but if driftwood turns out to also look lovely in a basket, well, I'm not making any promises they will the driftwood either. lol

Ellen <---- apparently a very selfish person
Bahahahaha well sounds like your only alowed cork from her on out ;)

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
G rosea decor: This is mine, and this is mine and this is mine

Lol your not helping rattie... Fine.. Shes only alowed cork backgrounds so she has to make things herself xD (iv done that haha)
Some cork bark IS lovely.
Here's a happy T, only has a hide, water dish and ping pong ball:

G rosea.jpg

P cambri uses her cork bark often & GBB web burrowed under hers; but the avics make their own webbing and tubes and pretty much waste the cork bark, imo.

For Ts, sometimes less is more (not for people, of course)

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
Oh Ellen, you make me laugh. I can picture you finding a surprise egg sac, buying 100s of deli cups for the babies... and discovering the beauty in deli cups. :D j/k

That's an awesome shot above, btw. Almost looks like you got her to pose for you. "Now show the camera your favourite ball and your waterdish -- thaaat's right, hold that pose." I love a good shot with some eye shine in it!