strangest food you have given your T's?

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
My roommate is very adamant about giving my spiders protein powder. Obviously I'm not going to do it. Made me think though about strange food you can give to a spider. I once read about people giving their spiders grapes. So I am curious.

What is the oddest thing you have given a spider for food?

Hopeful T Owner

Arachnopeon
Thankfully I feed mine crickets...but a friend of mine who used to have a G. Porteri kept giving "it" half a sliced carrot (this was years ago before I even began researching for my own T's)....needless to say, "it" didn't last very long and she never kept T's after that. She did try to do the same to my first one that I bought "Mystery". Needless to say "Mystery" attacked the carrot...then promptly haired it when the carrot didn't move...and when I saw the carrot in "Mystery's" tank - I pretty much threw said haired carrot at said friend and read her the reading about how T's practically eat live insects. When friend heard that - she freaked and ran out room lol. I'm still friends with her, but she doesn't go in my bedroom much any more lol.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Silk worms , they were huge and very pretty . It was kinda hard feeding them off because they looked so cool and wow my Ts loved them . Some of my Juvenal Ts were very unsure on how to go about tackling them so it was really fun to watch .

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Thankfully I feed mine crickets...but a friend of mine who used to have a G. Porteri kept giving "it" half a sliced carrot (this was years ago before I even began researching for my own T's)....needless to say, "it" didn't last very long and she never kept T's after that. She did try to do the same to my first one that I bought "Mystery". Needless to say "Mystery" attacked the carrot...then promptly haired it when the carrot didn't move...and when I saw the carrot in "Mystery's" tank - I pretty much threw said haired carrot at said friend and read her the reading about how T's practically eat live insects. When friend heard that - she freaked and ran out room lol. I'm still friends with her, but she doesn't go in my bedroom much any more lol.
Your friend seems incredibly ingorant. No offense to your friend but it's pretty common knowledge, even to people who aren't in the hobby, that T's are entirely predatory... they don't eat vegetables.

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
A nice fish taco as a treat once a month. Only once every two months for the rosea or she'll stop eating.

But really, horn worms or something. I don't like feeding them to my reptiles (cause I find them cute x_x). The goo when you feed them to a T is pretty outrageous. Gross.

cold blood

Staff member
Once a month I cook a ribeye for the t's. But no vegies, everyone knows they don't eat vegies, that's ridiculous feeding a carrot.:unsure:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Apparently my Ts are eating seed moths. I just realized, after nearly 30s years of battling seed moths -- there are NONE in the parrot/T room. I was looking for one to toss to a corner spider, and realized there are NONE to be had. Ziltch, Nada. They must be meeting their demise in T cages. In fact, it has been about a year I bet since I've even seen a seed moth -- correlating to about the time I got into Ts. Hadn't even missed 'em until last night when I felt sorry for a small corner spider and thought I'd toss one in its web.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Newborn cornsnskes...

A friend of mine had a clutch and a few had severe spinal kinks.
She was gonna freeze them anyways so I figured I would put the protein to good use.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Someone once told me they fed their tarantulas cornmeal... I'm hoping they meant meal worms

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Newborn cornsnskes...

A friend of mine had a clutch and a few had severe spinal kinks.
She was gonna freeze them anyways so I figured I would put the protein to good use.
I can totally see that! My beardie used to get the genetic frauds of a local breeder. (Spine kinks and bad neuro defects in his spider ball python pairings) i thought about doing the same with my Ts xD i think my smithi would like a corn snake ;)

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I will never do this again , it is dangerous but I fed a G rosea a outdoor stag bettle (smaller mandible female) Tragedy for beetles though I will never do this again.

Ive fed about 5 small fuzzy mice to my Ts , they are more dangerous then a small stag bettle .

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
ive fed about 5 small fuzzy mice to my Ts , they are more dangerous then a small stag bettle .
How do you figure? A fuzzy moyse bearly has teeth if at all worst they do is screech and wiggle.. Iv raised ky own feeder rats fir years and bever considered a rodent under 2.5 weeks old (also called a "crawler" as its just before "pup" just starting to open its eyes and not weaning) dangerous to any animal

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I guess stag bettle is way better armored too , and Stag jaws could kill a T. Stags around here though are only around 3" much smaller then average 5-6" T. .Asian stag beetles though are way bigger!
How do you figure? A fuzzy moyse bearly has teeth if at all worst they do is screech and wiggle.. Iv raised ky own feeder rats fir years and bever considered a rodent under 2.5 weeks old (also called a "crawler" as its just before "pup" just starting to open its eyes and not weaning) dangerous to any animal

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I guess stag bettle is way better armored too , and Stag jaws could kill a T. Stags around here though are only around 3" much smaller then average 5-6" T. .Asian stag beetles though are way bigger!
Im lost.. From your last post i was under the inpression you said the rodent is more dangegrous? Now your saying beetles are xp

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
A beetle as large as the mouse would be dangerous, not the beetle I fed my T. A 5" beetle could be dangerous.
Im lost.. From your last post i was under the inpression you said the rodent is more dangegrous? Now your saying beetles are xp

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
in the parrot/T room. .
Wondering if you know parrots fear large spiders , also many birds are predators of Ts . For Ts genetic instinct would tell Ts birds are a threat . My macaw has clearly shown fear over my Ts and says (mommy no !!! )when she see' s me opening a t enclosure . She is very aware they pose a danger . Just food for thought .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Wondering if you know parrots fear large spiders , also many birds are predators of Ts . For Ts genetic instinct would tell Ts birds are a threat . My macaw has clearly shown fear over my Ts and says (mommy no !!! )when she see' s me opening a t enclosure . She is very aware they pose a danger . Just food for thought .
Wow, sorry about your parrot. My parrots ignore the T shelves across the room, no changes in their behaviour at all; and with their parrot vision - they've got to have at least noticed the Ts 12 feet away. And most of my Ts are out in the open, and they seem unbothered sharing quarters either. I figure in the rainforests, Ts are probably used to the presence of parrots. I do T maintenance in another room (because I prefer a nice table to work on) but I do fear if a T should escape, the parrots would probably eat it (assuming the cats didn't catch it first!). My parrots and I have to walk by the T enclosures on our way out of the room for 'play time' out of their cages, and they have never even glanced at the Ts (of course, they love one-on-one time with me so I guess the presense of T enclosures can't compete with their joy of getting out for a while). It is sad your parrot is so upset by your Ts. I hate to see a frightened parrot. :-(

Last edited:

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
It is sad your parrot is so upset by your Ts. I hate to see a frightened parrot. :-(
i feel bad for the birdie too =[ its one thing if your bird wants to eat you other pets its another when they are petrified of them =\ [tho id be concerned of both with it being a parrot ;P] only think i hate more then a screaming parrot [and i dont mean mouthy or whistling i mean the one squalling for attention you can hear down the block] is a petrified parrot =[