Lasiodora Parahybana Feeding problem

StuffedOrange

Arachnosquire
Hey,

so my LP never succeeded in eating live food, i always have to feed her prekilled food because for example every time she tries to attack live food, usually superworms, the worm would react and start rolling around and releasing its self from the fangs of the tarantula, now usually tarantulas would still want to eat it after that happens but when i try to offer the worm again after it escapes, the LP would just try to avoid it and run away. it like gets frightened after its food escapes.

Any idea?

thanks!

Nosiris

Arachnosquire
That's most unusual. An LP who doesn't savage anything that moves is usually either in heavy premoult or very unwell. How old is the worm-wary wacko?

StuffedOrange

Arachnosquire
worm wary wacko? didnt get that.. but my LP has been doing this since i got her like 4 months ago.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
How big is the prey you offer it? Maybe try other feeders such as small roaches or crickets? Otherwise cut the worm up in appropriate sizes and offer pre-killed until it gets bigger to take on live prey more successfully?

Remember prey items that are too big will usually startle a T, especially slings.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Not unusual. I'd suspect you simply have a picky eater there. Tried other feeders but worms? I have a couple that utterly -despise- worms of any kind. Zoophobas, mealworms...doesn't matter. My A. avic girl for example, will bite the worm and toss it away. But she goes nuts for crickets or Shelfordella roaches! :D

StuffedOrange

Arachnosquire
the size of my LP is 4-5 inches. it recently molted like 1-2 month/s ago. i have tried superworm beetles but it did the same, bite and run away. the size of the prey is no where near the size of the tarantula, it is smaller.

GG80

Arachnoknight
Size of the t please.
This would help.
If it's less than 1" DLS it wouldn't be uncommon for it to be startled by large prey.

Sorry, just saw you replied with the size.

Maybe it's just not ready to eat after its molt. It's not uncommon for certain Ts to not live up to their reputations. Make sure it has access to water and keep an eye on its abdomen.

cold blood

Staff member
the size of my LP is 4-5 inches.

That's good to know, hearing your descriptions I was pretty sure it was a sling, but its far from it and no meal you're likely to offer it should be too big. Its acting like my N. chromatus of that size AFTER it lost its fangs. Have you been able to get a look under it to see if both fangs are intact? That would be my starting point. That thing should have been tackling supers at half that size....my chromatus couldn't kill a waxworm after it lost its fangs. Now you mention fangs, so look to see if they may be broken or mis-shapen or otherwise "off kilter".

To feed it I sliced waxworms lengthwise, then crossed it with a few blade strokes the opposite way to break up the skin a bit....the chromatus ate enough to molt and regain its fangs. Others have made what basically amounts to "cricket soup".

---------- Post added 07-24-2015 at 03:41 PM ----------

Maybe it's just not ready to eat after its molt. It's not uncommon for certain Ts to not live up to their reputations. Make sure it has access to water and keep an eye on its abdomen.
op, do you know when it molted last? I got the impression it has never eaten in your care and its been a while.....you said its been 4 months, right?

StuffedOrange

Arachnosquire
my tarantula has eaten multiple times in my care, it has eaten once before molting and at least 5 times after molting

Thanks everyone for your help BTW!!

GG80

Arachnoknight
That's good to know, hearing your descriptions I was pretty sure it was a sling, but its far from it and no meal you're likely to offer it should be too big. Its acting like my N. chromatus of that size AFTER it lost its fangs. Have you been able to get a look under it to see if both fangs are intact? That would be my starting point. That thing should have been tackling supers at half that size....my chromatus couldn't kill a waxworm after it lost its fangs. Now you mention fangs, so look to see if they may be broken or mis-shapen or otherwise "off kilter".

To feed it I sliced waxworms lengthwise, then crossed it with a few blade strokes the opposite way to break up the skin a bit....the chromatus ate enough to molt and regain its fangs. Others have made what basically amounts to "cricket soup".

---------- Post added 07-24-2015 at 03:41 PM ----------

op, do you know when it molted last? I got the impression it has never eaten in your care and its been a while.....you said its been 4 months, right?
He already said it molted about a month or 2 ago. That's why I said it might not be ready to eat yet. I know a month is a bit long for a T to not eat after a molt but as we all know, they are all different in their own little ways. Good call on the fangs though, it's quiet possible.

StuffedOrange

Arachnosquire
Hey guys, for the past 2 days i have noticed my LP's abdomen being black under the baldy area, it is usually yellowish brownish, but not the baldy area is blueish black. Could this mean that my tarantula is in premolt? Thing is my tarantula molted like a month or 2 months ago.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Hey guys, for the past 2 days i have noticed my LP's abdomen being black under the baldy area, it is usually yellowish brownish, but not the baldy area is blueish black. Could this mean that my tarantula is in premolt? Thing is my tarantula molted like a month or 2 months ago.
If it's black then yes, that's premolt. Shiny black? Heavy premolt. This would explain the lack of interest in doing anything but killing the feeders. What's strange is that a T that size would molt again so soon; even for a L.parahybana that seems early.

StuffedOrange

Arachnosquire
Strange thing that my LP did not burrow itself. usually it would burrow itself when it wants to molt but it just molted 2 months ago.. maybe because i fed it a lot?

El Consciente

Arachnopeon
Strange thing that my LP did not burrow itself. usually it would burrow itself when it wants to molt but it just molted 2 months ago.. maybe because i fed it a lot?
Generally speaking heat and heavy feeding accelerates molt cycles as it speeds up the spider's metabolism. I'd remove the worm, keep the water dish full and let her be. LP's aren't exactly known for being predictable...

MrDave

Arachnosquire
My 3 LPs have never gone more than 2 months between molts since I got them as tiny slings almost a year ago. They're just about 4 inches now, so maybe a tad smaller than yours, but still, they're fast growers.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I've got an LP at about 2" dls and I still have to feed it pre killed or at least crush heads because when I drop th feeder in it runs away. It likes to eat in private. Lol

StuffedOrange

Arachnosquire
Hey everyone, my LP Finished Molting yesterday, what surprised me is that it molted outside its hide, it surrounded like half of its enclosure with Webs and laid a molting web down and started molting yesterday. i was shocked to wake up yesterday and see her molting, what a great surprise!! Thanks for the help everyone!