Brachypelma Boehmei Not real?

Rhyce

Arachnopeon
I've heard that Brachypelma Boehmei's in the hobby are not true Boehmei's? That they have been mixed with different species, and are not true Boehmei's,
is this true?
thanks - Rhys

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Are you talking about the boehmei baumgartini thing? If so, it's the baumgartini that are usually mixed. Now in the wild some species will cross breed with others. It's certainly not common, but it still happens. So to that regard there are probably no true species of any animal-even humans! If you want a B.boehmei you probably won't have to worry about it being a hybrid. Just make sure before you chose to breed it. If you can't tell, post a picture here.

cold blood

Staff member
They are certainly real, and although in many cases the waters have indeed been muddied (as Jose points out), there are still true boehmei out there....like said, ya just need to be careful and know what you are looking at. Personally, if I were buying one that was adult or juvie, I'd post a pic to have scrutinized....if its a sling and I was buying directly from a breeder (like I prefer), I'd hope to see at least pics of the parents.

Either way, if you cannot be certain, just don't breed it.

Yentlequible

Arachnoknight
I've heard that Brachypelma Boehmei's in the hobby are not true Boehmei's? That they have been mixed with different species, and are not true Boehmei's,
is this true?
thanks - Rhys
The Brachypelma boehmei that I posted in my ad on Northern Utah Tarantulas are the same "mix" that has been pointed out here on the forums before. Jose on here has looked into the species extensively out of his own interest. Real boehmei are indeed out there, I just see many more of the other variety.

Rhyce

Arachnopeon
Travis, I'm guessing? Did you see my Male and Female Boehmei's on N.U.T.S? Do you know if they've been mixed?

Yentlequible

Arachnoknight
Correct. I did not see them yet, however. I'll try to find the post.

Edit: I only see one photo from July 2nd. It looks just like the ones I have, which are not as fiery red as what I believe to be the true boehmei.

truecreature

Arachnoknight
What about the ones that have some black on their carapace instead of a solid orange?