Just finished my new tarantula cabinet!!!!

SunTiger1

Arachnopeon
I finally finished my cabinet that I have been working on the past few weeks
and it looks awesome
20150727_173004.jpg
20150727_172957.jpg

I wil post pics as soon as all my T's enclosures are inside:biggrin:

SunTiger1

Arachnopeon
I will probably post more pics tomorrow or wednesday, after I added the LED lights and heating pads

spiderbesideher

Arachnosquire
Very rustic and cool looking! I have been thinking about converting one of my old bookshelves to something with strip LED lighting all inside, and maybe some red lighting too for nighttime.

SunTiger1

Arachnopeon
Thanks!!Thats a great idea, i am also going to add strip LED lights but I would not recommend you use any lights that gives off heat because it
will dry the air and dehydrate your T's.

spiderbesideher

Arachnosquire
Thanks!!Thats a great idea, i am also going to add strip LED lights but I would not recommend you use any lights that gives off heat because it
will dry the air and dehydrate your T's.
Yes, oh no not regular incandescent ones or anything like that. I was thinking of adding a strip of white LEDs and a strip of red LEDs that were separately controlled. I know there's some debate still on whether red light is visible to t's but at the least it would look neat.

SunTiger1

Arachnopeon
Ok that will be fine. Thats actually a very awesome idea but I dont think we have red strip LEDs available in South africa:(. I dont think we will ever truly know if red light is visible or not but if I were you I would not keep the lights on the whole time,
only if you want to view your T's.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Why is that cold blood?
Hello. I can give you my view about. There's no need for additional heating, T's suffers more "hot" than "cold", especially when "hot" is an unnatural, artificial one.

It's better to focus (i'm not talking about you, now, but in general) to have T's in rooms where there's a Day/Night cycle and air recycle. This, along with cross ventilation enclosures, are my rules for have healthy T's.

Additional heating for T's is a great hoax, IMO.

Plus.. i noticed that you live in South Africa.. listen to my story. I have African Baboon T's like Ceratogyrus sp. Pterinochilus sp etc and they live like Lords without additional heating.. at room temperature, in late spring/summer, and with only normal room heating in winter.

And i live where there's more cold than SA, trust me :)

cold blood

Staff member
Why is that cold blood?
First off, like Chris mentioned, its not needed, especially considering your location.

Second and most important, a heating pad, which are designed for reptiles that have significantly different heat needs, is about the most dangerous way to apply additional heat to a t aside from actually starting a fire. Best (safest for the t's) way to heat t's is to heat the room with a small space heater.

As for the airflow Chris mentioned, its as simple as running a fan in the room.

I have never had my t's in any kind of a day/night cycle in 15 years.....My room is dark most of the time, t's have no requirement for light whatsoever.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have never had my t's in any kind of a day/night cycle in 15 years.....My room is dark most of the time, t's have no requirement for light whatsoever.
I have to object on that one, buddy. There's still plenty of debate going on about that particular subject. Fact is, that certain species breed more successfully over here with a day-night cycle applied. And to my knowledge there hasn't been any scientific paper yet published on this matter - or is there? If so, please link, kthxbye! :D

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
I'm also, as you can see, from south-africa, if I really need to heat up the room, I use a space heater for a few hours (4-5) at night and turn it off again, day temps are fine here (north-west), the night temps can get worrysome so I heat the room up at night for a few hours and it usually stays warm in there for a few hours afterwards, recently I heat the room more frequently because my P. Irminia might be gravid, but otherwise, additional heating such as heat pads are unnecessary, best bet would be a good space heater.

Oh and nice cabinet btw ;) really neat

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
I have to object on that one, buddy. There's still plenty of debate going on about that particular subject. Fact is, that certain species breed more successfully over here with a day-night cycle applied. And to my knowledge there hasn't been any scientific paper yet published on this matter - or is there? If so, please link, kthxbye! :D
I see it as simple as, in the wild, they (most species) almost totally avoid light, choosing instead to come out during low light periods....which basically means that in nature, they pretty much live their lives in total darkness. In my experience, depriving them of light simply means they are out a whole lot more. My irminia for instance, which should be reclusive, is almost always out and visible, just like many if not most of my t's....the exception is fossorials, which are underground in the total darkness no matter what I do....I see my I. mira once in a blue moon, its always underground and naturally never gets light, no matter what I would choose to do.

I do see your point though Jan, it certainly isn't a well studied subject....and breeding is something I have just been getting into the past year or so, so I will step back just a bit from my previous statement.

SpiderInTheBath

Arachnosquire
I'm stuck using a heat pad for various boring reasons to keep my slings warm. The way I've done it is to place them all inside a much larger container, so that there's no actual contact with the mat and their boxes (the mat is on the back wall of the larger container, not underneath, and there's a good 2-3 inches of space between the boxes and the back wall). It's like a sling creche. It just barely keeps it at around 25 degrees in there -- it's the coldest, wettest summer ever here at the moment >:C

I don't bother to heat my larger juvenile G. pulchripes, though, and likely won't once these guys are past the tiny phase.