Neobarrettia spinosa: Let's do this!

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
It's time for some captive breeding! I want this thread to become the knowledge pool for this species, Anyone with experience, please add your accounts!

I picked up my adult pair on July 25, 2015, and the female greeted me by shuttling an egg out of her ovipositor as she rested on my thumb! She has since layed over 20 eggs in the paper towel in her temporary container, which have been placed in a sterile, slightly damp, lightly ventilated container of sand and soil, kept at 76 degrees F. She has shown no interest in the male yet, although he stridulates frequently and tries to approach her.

Both have been feeding on grasshoppers, crickets, moths, and apple. The female was quick to tame down and accepts food readily from my hand; the male is still very defensive and reacts hysterically to me. I have been handling them infrequently in order to keep them from stressing.

Liverwort

Arachnopeon
kitkat39 is basically a world leader on this. ;) He's raised them for 3 generations, so you might want to PM him.

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
Aw, wow, I hadn't a clue! I'm going to get on that, thank you.

My female hasn't laid for over two days, and so I decided to pair them. I'm currently watching and filming an extensive courtship, involving the male leading the female to a particular site to mate, and many as-yet-unsuccessful attempts at copulation.

cuervo8

Arachnopeon
I know i am really late to the party. Did you find out how to hatch the eggs? i have male and female laying eggs

FlipDud

Arachnopeon
I'm pretty new to the boards. I was wondering if anyone might be willing to share some info on breeding this species? Are there specific temps/humidity levels that produce the most success rates? I just recently acquired a pair. The male seems interested and there's been a lot of stridulating, but no breeding action so far. However, the female appears of have been laying in the moist container of jungle mix bedding I've given her. I've since swapped out that dish and replaced it with a deeper container filled with a mixture of sand and jungle mix. According to what little info I've found eggs have a long incubation period. If anyone has any tips for better success rates they'd be greatly appreciated! I'd love to get an established group going and make these guys a little bit more available. :) Thanks!

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'd be curious to how the care for this species compares to N. victoriae, since that seems to be the only species I can infrequently find around here.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Apparently ensuring the evgs have a proper temperature and humidity change to simulate colder conditions is needed, although that seems to be the case with a wide variety of desert arthropods

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
Hey y’all, it’s actually me again. I’m glad you resurrected the thread because I have them again too.
@pannaking22
Last year I kept N. victoriae and got one hatchling this May (it died about a week later, and I don’t know why. Had been active, healthy, and eating). I put those eggs through a mild cold period (50s F) and have been advised to use a colder one. I’m planning to refrigerate this year’s spinosa eggs for about two months in the late fall, and then raise the temperature back to warm and increase moisture.
@FlipDud, in my experience she’s not receptive to mating while she’s regularly laying. If you wait another week for her to get these eggs out, she might be interested again. They like to mate in relative darkness, and while hanging upside-down.

ChristianCave24

Arachnopeon
Yesterday I mated my female Neobarretia spinosa to my male and she currently is laying eggs in sand/soil I placed in for her! I’m going to breed my male with another female in a few days. We should get this thread up and going again for sure! I’d love to share observations on hatching the ovas!

junkaiwangisme

Arachnopeon
I just got 1 male and 2 females of the red eyed devils. Can I keep my male with my female? It seems scared and keeps leaping back on my hand or out of the enclosure. The female is really chill and don't care about the male, only her apple. I have them set up in critter keepers with a layer of sand.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I just got 1 male and 2 females of the red eyed devils. Can I keep my male with my female? It seems scared and keeps leaping back on my hand or out of the enclosure. The female is really chill and don't care about the male, only her apple. I have them set up in critter keepers with a layer of sand.
Keep them separate, one will absolutely eat the other.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Hey y’all, it’s actually me again. I’m glad you resurrected the thread because I have them again too.
@pannaking22
Last year I kept N. victoriae and got one hatchling this May (it died about a week later, and I don’t know why. Had been active, healthy, and eating). I put those eggs through a mild cold period (50s F) and have been advised to use a colder one. I’m planning to refrigerate this year’s spinosa eggs for about two months in the late fall, and then raise the temperature back to warm and increase moisture.
@FlipDud, in my experience she’s not receptive to mating while she’s regularly laying. If you wait another week for her to get these eggs out, she might be interested again. They like to mate in relative darkness, and while hanging upside-down.
How long was the cold period? And would the fridge by itself work? I’d imagine that 30-40 degrees might be too cold...