P. Metallica male missing a spinneret... Will it grow back?

Burchling

Arachnopeon
Greetings everyone! I received a package this morning with a few T's in it, everything was perfect. Except for one small thing. The male P. Metallica (2") I purchased was missing one of his spinnerets. His left one to be exact. I contacted the seller to inform him and of course, being the upstanding, wonderful seller he is, immediately reassured me it would be replaced if need be. I told him thank you, of course and told him that I would see him through a few molts before we do anything about replacing him.

I've read on the forums that T's don't regen their spinners... So before you jump on me for not researching the forums... I have :) . I Never saw anything about a P. Metallica. All I saw was G. Rosea's being commented on. Answers would be greatly appreciated :D

Do not inquire about the seller I got it from. As I assure you the seller is one of the best, and waiting on my word to replace it. At this point, I'm only concerned that he (the P. Metallica) won't be able to make his sperm web in a couple years. Which is the main reason for the purchase.

Thanks guys! Looking forward to reading some responses.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I used to have a Diplurid (Linothele sp., probably megatheloides) that regrew one of his spinnerets. I'd assume tarantulas would do the same.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
How did a spinneret get lost? Hm, anyways - to my knowledge these don't regrow. At least I do recall having read multiple reports of different species that didn't regrow them. E. pachypus, B. albopilosum come to mind - I'd figure the same goes for any other species.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Well, they grow larger every molt, so it makes sense that they are "newly-formed" each molt. Are you sure they don't regrow? I've had no experience with this so I'm not sure.

Burchling

Arachnopeon
That is very nice to hear Arachnomaniac...Although I'm not sure if funnel-web spiders and T's are exactly the same in this way. I hope... I've been worried about him. He kinda sits weird, like with his butt a little higher up than I'm used to seeing. I also noticed that out of the 3 segmented parts of the spinnerets he is only missing the top part. The second section looks like it just needs a new exoskeleton. It has that same look one of Robc's tarantulas that lost part of its leg. Lets hope it does turn out for the better. Not for my sake, as I can get him replaced but for his. Plus...I'm already attached to the little guy, and named him (Dr. Manhattan) and everything. So since he is now officially in my care, he will be tended to as such. ;)

---------- Post added 07-28-2015 at 08:32 PM ----------

Storm, he must have lost it either in transit to me, or with the seller I bought it from. It can happen just like how they lose any other appendages. Getting a lid closed on them, something falls on them, they fall themselves (I doubt that's what happened here), maybe a cricket that was left in the cage chewed it off when he last molted... In other words: I have no idea lol. We can speculate all we like, but in the end all that matter is that he's healthy. Which I will do my best to do :) . Thank you for the reply!

Angel Minkov, I have read on here that since the spinnerets are complicated and actually an extension of their internal silk producing organs, they do not regen with the molt, however just like you I'm quite unsure of this. I hope Arachnomaniac is correct in his post... I want him to have every advantage, because breeding these suckers is difficult enough without knowing if hes made a decent enough sperm web to fertilize my female (Smurfette).

Last edited:

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
In any case, you have plenty of time to see if they will regenerate. Hope you keep us updated.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
It all depends on whether or not he lost it or never had one to begin with. If he had one but it was lost due to injury or whatever, then yeah, it will grow back eventually.
If it never had one to begin with, then it obviously won't grow back.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It all depends on whether or not he lost it or never had one to begin with. If he had one but it was lost due to injury or whatever, then yeah, it will grow back eventually.
If it never had one to begin with, then it obviously won't grow back.
Hm, I remember a report of a spider that lost a spinneret and didn't regrow it over the course of 4 molts even. I guess we'll have to see and wait. I hope it will regrow, but I'm unsure as to if it's possible for them to regenerate that part. It's kinda an extension of the silk glands from what I remember the explanation was, meaning it's part of an organ that's still there.

Oh well, anyways: Good luck on that matter OP and please do keep us posted on the matter? :)

Burchling

Arachnopeon
Hobo, thank you for the response! To add to what you said, I firmly believe he was born with both spinnerets, as the missing left (his left) spinneret has what looks to be the remnants of what was once there. It resembles what a T looks like when it hasn't completely lost a limb, but rather the exoskeleton surrounding the limb. Out of the 3 segments of each spinneret, he is apparently only missing the top nodule of the left one. Hopefully, you're correct in your assumption that it will grow back :) I know I'm rooting for you! Dr. Manhattan (missing spinneret).jpg
Here's a pic of him. I was finally able to capture the problem with my crappy iphone 6 camera...You might be able to see what I was referring to about the second segment of the left spinneret. You can barely make it out, but it is the milky clear extension from the base of the spinneret... Thanks again for your reply! :cool:

Burchling

Arachnopeon
So I assume he cannot web?
He hasn't made any silk mats or anything yet, but he's still very young. I did however notice he was able to spin up his bolus. So that's good... Thank you for replying! :)

---------- Post added 07-29-2015 at 12:33 PM ----------

In any case, you have plenty of time to see if they will regenerate. Hope you keep us updated.
Right you are Angel, and I will keep you updated with the next molt. I did post a pic today of him (Dr. Manhattan) and his missing "piece." I had picked out his name after I purchased him online, but now I'm thinking it should have something to do with losing a spinneret lol... Thanks again for the reply :)