What is the difference between Peocilotheria Metallica and Lampropelma Violaceopes??

mikeinla

Arachnopeon
What is the difference between Peocilotheria Metallica and Lampropelma Violaceopes?? I have seen adults of both for sale at a local reptile show. Preference of one over the other???

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
You mean other than the fact that they look completely different?

I only have slings, but both are great so far. My violaceopes are less reclusive so I prefer them for now, but my metallica is really young so things still have time to change.

The metallica is hardier than the violaceopes which are more prone to molting problems from what I've read on here.

mikeinla

Arachnopeon
You mean other than the fact that they look completely different?

I only have slings, but both are great so far. My violaceopes are less reclusive so I prefer them for now, but my metallica is really young so things still have time to change.

The metallica is hardier than the violaceopes which are more prone to molting problems from what I've read on here.

I am NEW to tarantulas and when I saw them they were both BLUE and looked similar

Pokie Master

Arachnosquire
Not to be cruel but as stated if you can't tell them apart and know nothing about them please do not in any way purchase them! They are both very fast and potent venom species. Just to look at them they are very different!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Did you get a look at P. sazimai or Homoeomma sp. "blue"...or even Euathlus sp. "blue femur" yet, OP? Beautiful!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Did you get a look at P. sazimai or Homoeomma sp. "blue"...or even Euathlus sp. "blue femur" yet, OP? Beautiful!
Pterinopelma sazimai are overpriced T's, seems that Al Capone is owning and selling those T's in exclusive.
As for the OP, Poecilotheria metallica all the way, when it comes to beauty. I found Haplopelma lividum (females i mean) 100 times better than Lampropelma violaceopes.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Pterinopelma sazimai are overpriced T's, seems that Al Capone is owning and selling those T's in exclusive.
As for the OP, Poecilotheria metallica all the way, when it comes to beauty. I found Haplopelma lividum (females i mean) 100 times better than Lampropelma violaceopes.
Overpriced? The prices have gone down quite some...no 99 EUR per sling anymore. They're now in the 20-30 bucks region form what I saw.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I dont think the op was asking us if he should buy one of the two. The main difference would be the band on the abdomen of the metallica. Then, the metallica has a little white on it and is more hairy and also has yellow on its legs ventrally. Just giving examples. Cant really mistake one for the other. Both are great Ts, but also very fast, high-strunk and have a nasty venom.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I dont think the op was asking us if he should buy one of the two. The main difference would be the band on the abdomen of the metallica. Then, the metallica has a little white on it and is more hairy and also has yellow on its legs ventrally. Just giving examples. Cant really mistake one for the other. Both are great Ts, but also very fast, high-strunk and have a nasty venom.
You're forgetting that both have different life styles, one stays in a burrow all day and the other lives in trees.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
You're forgetting that both have different life styles, one stays in a burrow all day and the other lives in trees.
I'm guessing you've never seen pictures of Lampropelma violaceopes in situ.

El Consciente

Arachnopeon
So to answer your question directly:

L. violaciopes: Known commonly as "singapore blue". Fast, rather reclusive, potent venom. Adults are a deep royal blue in color with a goldish carapace. Native to the Malaysian peninsula.
P. metallica: Known commonly as "gooty sapphire ornamental". Also fast, generally less reclusive than LV and with a similarly if not more potent venom than LV. Adults have brilliant blue, yellow, and white markings. Native to certain regions of the Indian subcontinent.

Welcome to the tarantula keeping community! Excuse the rather harsh responses on here, the community is rather aggressive about keeping venomous old world tarantulas out of inexperienced hands so as to protect the hobby and yourself - but please do take their advice and opt for a tarantula more suitable for a beginner! I haven't had one, but a Green Bottle Blue (chromatopelma cyaneopubescens) would be an excellent starting point I think...also blue in color :)

awiec

Arachnoprince
I'm guessing you've never seen pictures of Lampropelma violaceopes in situ.
Good point but someone who buys one hoping to see it all the time may be a little disappointed

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Both Ts are rather reclusive and are arboreal. It comes down to individuals as well. A lot of people complain they don't see their P. metallicas during the day, but mine never hide ;)

awiec

Arachnoprince
Both Ts are rather reclusive and are arboreal. It comes down to individuals as well. A lot of people complain they don't see their P. metallicas during the day, but mine never hide ;)
I sometimes wish mine did, such a nasty female, she is probably the one that will tag me some day.